Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACD w/Arthroplasty

rhw62rrhw62 Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all,

I've had ACDF at c4-5 and c5-6 back in 1997. I am going back in for surgery on Sept. 16th to repair the damage that surgery has caused at the c6-7 level. Not the surgery itself but the stress it has caused on the other discs. This time I am going to have an artificial disc installed but I don't know what to expect after the surgery. Has anyone had a ADR done? I expect an easier time then the first surgery, less down (recovery) time. For those of you thinking of ACDF, think twice because of the wear and tear on the disc above and below the fusion. It seems like this is a common complication that was never told to me. Any kind words are appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there
    i had implants put in at three levels.i'm four months recovery and still waiting to be cleared for normal activities.there is still a certain amount of fusing that needs to be done with implants. ;) i can't speak about a comparing to normal fusion cause i haven't had that. i go back to the surgeon in october for my six month check up. i'm doing physical therapy now to regain my strength and balance ,my therapist will only give me light exercises so far and said he needs to wait for clearance from my surgeon before he can give me harder exercises to do. so don't think that if you do the ADR that you'll be any quicker getting through things LOL.
  • NOBODY mentioned that I could be facing additional surgery down the road because of the stress the first surgery can cause to the disc above and below the surgery. Kind of ticks me off. The first I heard of it was on this forum.
  • I don't believe that I am the only one that has come across this. Take a look at a some of these contributors on this forum and you will see them having numerous surgeries.
  • :))) i wasn't told a lot of things before my surgery either. The patient needs to investigate there illnesses and find out as much info as possible. Fortunately for me i had found this site long before my surgery and read much material.The surgeon was quite astonished as to all the info i knew.
    Some people on here have had multiple surgeries for that reason,i guess that the surgeons feel that at the time what was happening with the discs outweighs what may happen in the future.
  • I did a lot of research on the actual surgery etc., but even the research that I did didn't mention the stress that it puts on the disc above and below the fused disc. Unfortunately, I found this site after the surgery, or I would have more information. I probably would have had the surgery anyway because of the nerve symptoms and the pain, but would have been a more aware of what I could be facing in the future.
advertisement