Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question on Fusion Cervical Spine

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone:

I'm just wondering how often doctors decide to take bone from your hip as opposed to donor when fusing vertebrae in your cervical spine.

I read an article on this web site weighing the pros and cons of each method.

Ken GreyEagle
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Heck Ken I wasnt given the option of using donor bone or my own. My doctor told me he was using my own bone.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    The bone that was used in my cervical fusion was the vertabrae they removed from my own spine that was ground up and stuck in the cage that replaced part of my spine. I would guess it has a lot to do with the preference of each individual surgeon.

Ranger
  • My DO prefers using "donor bank" bone for ACDF.
  • ALWAYS using your own bone, especially if you are having multi-levels. Statistics show that your own bone fuses better than cadaver bone. Also it is statistically proven that multi-level fusions have a higher failure to fuse rate than single level, so improve your success rates by using your own bone. At least that is my very opinionated opinion. I sure wish I had been given the option because maybe I wouldn't have needed a second surgery if I had done it right the first time around.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thanks for all your input, guys!

What I got out of what I read was also that if possible ones own bone is best for fusion. I have type 2 diabetes. The article I read on this web site that sometimes that can increase risk of infection. On the other hand, donor bone might be more difficult in terms of success as well as possible rejection also.

I'm not sure which way to go on this. I'm told the surgeon I'm seeing is considered one of the best in my area. So it will be good to get his input and reasons for how he does it.

Thanks again, everyone!

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • I agree with Cindy on using your own bone. However your surgeon may not use either. There are other fusion materials out there and seem to be getting used more and more.
  • Yeah, I'm not really going to know until I see him again Sept 29th. I'm looking at a possible 4 level fusion. My DO thinks he'll want to do discectomy/fusion C-3 thru C-7. She had thot he'd want to do the selective nerve block on C-6 as well. He did. So they are thinking along the same lines.

Both of them had asked me if I was having leg symptoms yet. I'm not yet. I do have degenerative disc disease, bulging discs, bone spurs, general stenosis thru my cervical spine.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • Hi Grey Eagle,
    I am no expert believe me, since I am waiting for my first surgery in 3 weeks. I did notice that you have very similar problems to mine. Although I know that bone from your own hip is the "gold standard" and best to use for fusion I am not using it. My doctor will use cadaver bone and then fill from the arthritic stuff that is removed. In my case I was against own bone because I have a lot of arthritis and I was concerned about creating more problems with my hip. I agreed to use a bone stimulator after surgery since this is supposed to help the graft take faster. I am having multiple cervical discs fused so I am concerned about the graft but my doctor seems very confident and he is very experianced so I will hope for the best. I did lots and lots of research on the topic of grafts and I was actually interested in the artificial bone I had read about but my doctor does not like it so we it will be cadaver bone from the bone bank.
    I wish you lots of luck with your surgery. I think you should also involve a doctor (at least for an opinion) who works with diabetics since I know that may cause you to heal slower.
advertisement