Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ruptured Disc Info

J.J.GreyJJ.J.Grey Posts: 2,962
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
Has anyone ever had a ruptured disc that the pain down the leg did not go all the way to foot? I had a radical MicroD in Dec 07 and about 2 months later I just knew that I had ruptured another disc. These horrible bouts of pain (worse than my daily pain) come about 1 x month and run from mid back to hip, down leg and stops at knee. My doc keeps saying that if it was a disc the pain would not stop at the knee. He says that I am just going to have periods of time that my back "goes out" on me. Whaen this happens, I am bed ridden and can barely move for 1 -2 weeks. He said that he would do MRI if I wanted him to but since he does not think it is a disc I hate to spend the $ on it. If anybody has any insight at all I would greatly appreciate it.
advertisement

Comments

• I meant to say that it starts at mid lower back, not mid back.
  • been checked for spondylolithsis (sp)? My disc were not ruptured/extruded but I had a lot of instability that caused numbness/tingling etc at various points along both my legs-thighs-knees-feet etc.

Julie
  • usually nerve root irritation passes the knee, both in pain and corresponding neurological deficiencies (numbness, motor weakness...) - neurological problems past the knee is one of the defining factors in matching clinical signs/ symptoms to mri findings in disc prolapse causing mechanical compression of a nerve root.

in the case of shooting pain that only reaches the knee, more common differentials include facet irritation, discogenic pain, muscle strain/sprain or SI joint irritation (although this is usually describes as lateral thigh to knee).

to be honest, your docs advice follows that described in the literature
  • I do have alot of faith in my doc but it is so darn painful and debilitating. most of my problems are in my facet joints though. It is not really shooting pain, it is constant pain that makes me seize up and not able to straighten my back or leg along with weakness in the leg. Thanks so much for responding.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.