Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

meds not working

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
just curious if anyone has had trouble with norco pain meds not touching severe back pain and what else they might have tried
advertisement

Comments

• I have had this problem. It seems that the pain gets so bad. I had to take muscle relaxers, long hot shower, then put on bio freeze (after pores close from shower)sit in a recliner and call PM to see if I could take an extra pill. This seems to happen mostly when the weather is changing :''(
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,740
    I have touched on this subject several times on this forum.
    I believe that to really manage your pain and quality of life, there is a need for a 'blend' of medications and treatment. That is something that is unique and tailored to each individual by their doctor.
    For me it has been:

- Oxycontin ER (Various dosage,but now totally off of it)
    - Oxycodone IR 5mg for breakthrough
    - Zanaflex 4mg (or some other muscle relaxer
    - Neurontin (1600mg total day) for nerve pain
    - Exercise (Aqua, Exercise ball, etc)
    - Relaxation Therapy
    - Home Tens Unit
    - Deep Tissue Massage Therapy
    - Meditation
    - Hot Tub, Warm Showers, heating pads, products like biofreeze (which I love)
    - etc

Using all of the above has been the most effective to manage my chronic pain. I know that I will always have a level of pain to deal with, but I also know that there are so many things that I need to do to help myself that goes beyond what just pain medication can do.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I think we all forget that we multi-attack our pain in ways we find help.

I have been using opiates for over a year and they have never really worked, but work better than paracetamol alone or codine added in in various forms.

On my bad days, I "try" and accept I need to wait it out, howver long that may be and give in to the pain. I can't fight it, I get so upset.

Menatlly I try and keep myself on the up, looking for my big day when the pain has finally over. Perhaps that is wrong but it has got me this far (4 years) always hopeful that I will get a quality of life back.
    Good luck in your hunt and keep trying bits...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,740
    One thing that people dealing with Chronic Pain now about.
    There are going to be Good days and Bad days.
    No question about that. It's generally easier to figure out why you can have a bad day, but isolating what you did to have that good day still remains a bit of a mystery to me.
    I've come to terms with all of this and try to really focus in on the good days. Keeping and maintaining a positive attitude and win-win approach goes so far in helping those good days last longer and longer.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement