Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the board

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone!

My name is Heather and I live in NH. I am a wife and a mom of 4 beautiful children. I am also a registered nurse, which is how I hurt my back. I was washing up a woman who had a c-section and slipped on a wet washcloth on the floor. Three days later I couldn't walk. I had an MRI a little over a week ago and I have an L4/L5/S1 herniation. They put me on a dose of oral steroids and it helped a little bit. But I am still very uncomfortable, I cannot be on my feet for more than 5-10 minutes at a time, I have terrible burning radiating pain down my left leg into my foot which is numb and tingly on the right side and in my first three toes. I have not been able to do much of anything since this happened including work. I have been living on a steady diet of pain medication and physical therapy.

I have an appointment tomorrow with a neurosurgeon. We will see what he says. My physical therapist seems to think that he will recommend epidural injections. I also take coumadin (a blood thinner) and I know that you cannot be on this and get an epidural.

I look forward to meeting all of you and hearing your experiences. Even though I am a nurse, this area of medicine is pretty foreign to me and I am nervous about my visit. I am not sure what to ask or expect. I have gotten some information about what meds might help me, but, I would love to hear your opinions as well.

Heather
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health,good luck seeing your surgeon,you should read the pain medication section..
  • Thank you! I will do that. On a side note I think my husband is one of the only Seahawks fans here in New Hampshire.
  • Hello Heather, welcome to SH. I too am a nurse. I work in post-partum (2 1/2 years) and prior was in Pediatrics for 17 years. Yep, this is sure a different area of medicine than we are used to. I am so sorry to hear of your injury. I believe my problems are work related, but I never had an exact a-ha moment when I was injured, so haven't claimed comp. I am recovering from fusion surgery so let me know if I can help you with anything. I had 4 LESI's, and facet injections prior, and they helped some. I think sometimes they have you stop coumadin prior to an epidural, then resume after. Good luck with your NS appointment. I recommend you pre-pare a list of questions to take with you. I have an ongoing notebook I take in with me to each appt with questions, and I write his answers. It really helps to keep it all straight, and not forget something. Take care and see ya round the boards, Sue
  • Thank you for your advice. You see I am not even really sure what to ask except if there is anything else that they can do for the pain, should I be on muscle relaxants or a different narcotic. I am currently on dilaudid and I like it because it doesn't make me sick but I am getting used to it already as I don't really get that much relief from it anymore. If anyone can think of any absolutely imperative questions please let me know.

Heather
  • I would take Sue's suggestion and take notes. Not knowing what procedure you will have (if any) makes it hard to have questions ready. After initial vist, come back and maybe we can help. Good luck.
  • But, you probably already know that a surgeon will most likely suggest surgery. Maybe you can find a good PM doc in your area to get another opinion from? What is probably good for you in your situation is that you have the inside scoop on most of the docs and know who is good and who to avoid. Lots of times the insurance company will make you try all the conservative measures before approving surgery. Usually if you can find a good PM they offer most of the conservative options. That was how it worked for me anyway. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have been given a lot of good advice and as you visit the different forums i am sure you will think of even more questions. good luck and keep us informed as you progress. we are always here to chat! :H Jenny :)
  • Hi Heather,

I ruptured the L-4,L-5 disc and like most on this board, suffered from horrific pain. My pain was in my right leg, and engulfed my hip, thigh, knee, calf. I lived on perocet/skelaxin for a week before I could get out and about. I was an extremely active person/former professional athlete before the injury and trained hard 6 days a week. After conventional therapy did not work (psyiatrist, PT, painkillers, and MANY sleepless nights), I sought out a Neurosurgeon, and had surgery (microdiscectomy) three days after initial consultation (He requested immediate surgery because I had some other neurological symptoms in my leg). I was PAIN FREE in my leg immediately after surgery!! WONDERFUL!! I am two weeks post op, and aside from weakness in the leg, I am walking 5-6 miles a day and doing elliptical 30-40 minutes a day. Feel like I could do much more but dont want to push it. I am hoping that conventional therapy helps you, but if it doesn't, the surgery was (so far keep my fingers crossed LOL) helpful in my case. Even though it is nerve related, have your feet rubbed when they are numb. Helped me with leg/foot numbness and pain! Good luck John
advertisement