Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 months out from surgery and STILL my back aches?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok, this is just another post from me asking 'is this normal, anyone else experience this'..

My surgery was june 25th, had a very large herniated disk, got a microdiscetomy/double laminectomy on my l4/5.

Now all my pain in my leg that was crippling me is TOTALLY gone and not come back since i woke up in the hospital..

but the backpain i can get omg.. It used to be there all the time, but now it comes if I sleep on my bed (a tempur pedic fyi, so its like mega foam matress).. When i wake up after sleeping on my bed its like i am back in week 2 of my recovery iwth the back pain: cannot bend over, cannot barely get up etc due to shooting pains in my lower back around the incision.. like someone is sticking a rod down my spine.

I sleep on the couch and im just fine in teh morning..

Anyone other microdiscetomy patients can tell me how their back felt 2 months out ?
advertisement

Comments

• ps I did tell my doctor and he just tells me 'everyone's recovery is different' and won't give me any specific information on why this hurts.. heh
  • It doesn't sound like anything serious if you can sleep on your couch and feel fine in the morning. Maybe that Tempur Pedic is too soft. I tried them out in the store and they do seem pretty soft and you sink in quite a bit. Some of the Tempur Pedic beds were softer then others also depending on what model.

My back still feels sensitive. After my first microD it took about a year before I felt totally normal again. Two months is early.
  • Yeah, well when we went to the matress store I tried EVERY matress there and all the others its was instant discomfort when I laid down on them.

I slept in my bed last nite and it wasnt TOO terrible this morning, but it still wasnt a good feeling waking up..

I just like to hear that others felt this too when they were recovering, so I know that im normal.
  • Have you tried any muscle relaxants before going to bed such as valium? i know there are others on the market but dont know the brand names.
    You may find that if your muscles are more relaxed it will be easier to get up in the morning. Also before you get out of bed- do some stretches and leg slides to remind the muscles that it is time to get up.

Blessings Sara

• may be a good idea. I had a MicroD and my doc told me that it is normal to have pain in your facet joints during recovery which is what it sounds like you are having. Two months is still pretty early in the recovery process though. Even though the incision may be small it is still major surgery. They use lots of water flushing everything out during surgery and it will take awhile for your nerves and muscles to settle down. Be patient and follow docs orders exactly and you will be OK.
  • I am six months post op microD. I take a Zanaflex every night and every morning. I also set my alarm a little early and lay on the heating pad for 15-30 min before I get out of bed. It really helps! :D
  • My NS told me that MicroD will relieve leg pain and symptoms, but not back pain.Most likely you experience muscle spasms.
    I second what Sara and Cranky have suggested.Muscle relaxant and light stretches.I never believed that recovery will be 4-6 weeks.Two months is early.Be patient,and it will happen.

Cheers,G.
  • Are what helped me when I had my MicroD... Flexeril. I get muscle spasms all over my body.... Like jerky ones like I have tourettes or something... Flexeril knocks them out. I took zanaflex for about a year but it didn't do much except make me tired if i took 3.
advertisement