Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

10 days post Microdiscectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello,

I am a 39 year old, who up until the past month/half, was a VERY active man. I ruptured the L-4, L-5 disc, which fragmented and worked its way up my spine and lodged several pieces in my L-4 nerve (right side). After initial horrific sciatic pain (which thank God only lasted a day or so, but needed heavy narcotics/muscle relaxers/steroids o control), my right leg lost function for the most part. My general practitioner had me see a pysiatrist and orthopedic, and both viewed my MRI i had taken at the ER, and both suggested surgery. It was weak, atrophied (sp?), and was giving out on me frequently. I tried to treat it without surgery for several weeks with ice, exercise, ibuprofen, but the muscles were not firing right. I finally arranged for a Neurosurgeon to check it out, and after meeting with him and seeing my neurological deficits, advised that I needed emergency surgery. I was operated on three days later and am 10 days post-op. I am walking 4-5 miles a day and doing elliptical, but was told not to touch a weight/stretch, or do any lifting/bending/twisting for two weeks. I am concerned that my leg is still feeling weak, but was told post operative, that the nerve suffered damage (weakness,pain could be an issue for several weeks while swelling goes down and would take time to heal (up to 2 years????). I am pain free, and only some discomfort at incision site (sitting still uncomfortable). I cannot wait to get back to training, but am nervous with back involved. Looking to hear from others on how they are getting back to training (I am an avid weight lifter, love sprinting/plyos/hiking), and if they have any permanent muscle loss (I was 6-5 225 prior to injury in July, and was down to 200 day of surgery, mostly atrophy in butt/legs/thigh area). Thanks for any input!! John
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i hope your surgery is successful in every way! you are wise to follow the doctors orders regardless of what you what like to do!! DON'T!! please check out "Good News" for some other successful surgeries and also "Back Surgery" for some more input!! good luck! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to SH. Glad to hear you are improving. I would take docs advice and try not to overdo it. Good luck in your continued recovery.
  • Sorry to hear what you are going through but please make sure that you follow docs orders exactly. Please check the lower back pain section. There is a new member there that lifted 60 lbs 4 months out from surgery and has reinjured himself. You really should make sure that you get the all clear from doc before attempting any of that. It is my understanding that once you have MicroD on 1 level, the discs above have more pressure on them and makes it much easier for them to rupture. Like I said, talk to your doc about this since I am not a medical professional only a fellow MicroD survivor that is taking all precautions not to ever go through the post op that I suffered through again! Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Thanks for the message Jenny. A survivor of several different surgeries (knee, shoulder reconstruction-Unbelievably painful!, bicep rupture), this one spooks me the most. I have a history of bad backs in the family, we are all tall, and have a distinct curve in lower back. I certainly can now sympathize with those suffering from back injuries. Mine is weird, because other than the incision sie itself, I have never had any back pain, only right leg problems. I hope you are well, and thank you for your encouragement. John
  • Thanks again for your encouragement!
  • Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear about your back problems. This was probably the easiest of the four-five surgeries I have had, but it scared/scares me the most. I mean your back and neurological system are not something to mess around with. Thank God I dont have the pain I did with the initial sciatic hip/butt/leg- Am I the only one who was brought to their knees like a baby with the sciatic pain?? I noticed you have sleep apnea. If you dont mind me asking, is that a condition you have had prior to your back injuries? I have been having a hell of a time sleeping since my injury, not from pain either? Zolpidem helps but not all the time. Take care, John
  • I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 6 years ago which was just before the pain started. Makes it lots of fun trying to get comfortable at night between the pain and the mask. I was actually awake through most of my microD and it was pretty horrific. They removed most of my disc and I have since become disabled. My surgery was considered failed.
  • Sorry to hear of your recent experience w/microdisc-I hope you are able to find some relief. Don't give up hope!
  • I actually did get some relief from MicroD in my leg pain. So to me it was not a total waste I just wish that they would hurry up and come up with something for facet pain!
advertisement