Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Fusion Stimulator???

ToYoungforThisTToYoungforThis Posts: 150
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just wondering on how many use a bone stimulator after fusion either neck or lumbar. And if this has help the fusion process.

I used a spinal pack with 2 electrodes for 2 of my fusions, when I had my most recent fusion in Feb. I got a totaly different type of bone stimulator. This one fit over my brace in a square shape in front and back, and was so unconfortable. I think it is a ortho fix. It so so big but worked great for me. EXcept a few embarrasing moments in the check out stand. have to turn this machine off it messes with the security system.

Has any one had this Bone stimulator, It came out on the market Jan of 2008
Even would like to know the results people have had with a bone stimulator.

advertisement

Comments

• When you say bone stimulator, do you mean the bone fusion stimulator or the bone stimulator that is used to ease pain? I have the first one, an EBI Bone Fusion Stimulator that the surgeon put in at the time of surgery. The electodes are connected to the bone graft area to encourage fusion, and the battery pack is just under my skin. I was completely unaware of it, until I found out at my first post-op visit that I have it. I guess it works, because at 3 months I was fusing. The battery will work for 6 months, then it will die. If I want it out, it can be done as an outpatient, if I don't mind, it can stay in.

Kin
  • Yes that is what I mean but never hear of an enternal one COOL!!!
    The I use for my 1st few fusions were from the same company but it was all external and battery had to be recharged every few days and electrodes changed daily.

And the big one as explained, but I would of lovd an enternal one no cords in the way, I kinda looked funny walking aroung with a tens unit, brace, and bone stimulator cords. lol there was alot of humor with it.

Not to mention the frequences messed with deactivating the security stripps on stuff @ Target Walmart Kmart. If I went up to a registers I would have to turn off my machine. It was funny to see the cashiers act when their machine would click and flash all crazy. lol
  • I have a bone growth stimulator. My surgeon says he believes in throwing in everything and the kitchen sink! I only have to wear mine for 30 minutes a day (but for 9 months). It is a round steering wheel shaped aparatus that has a belt through it that I strap on my back. I just push a button and it goes for 30 minutes then shuts off. It is called Spinalogic by DonJoy Orthopedics. Sue
    If you want to check it out... http://www.vqorthocare.com/Products/Bone_Growth_Stimulators/spinalogic.php
  • I have the same one:) I hope it has been doing its job--I'll find out next week at my 3 mo. appointment!

~Elle
  • Does you surgeon have you bring it to appointments so he can check the history on it to see if you've been complient? The instruction manuel said to bring it, but I didn't and he never asked for it. So far I forgot to use it one day. Sue
  • I had a bone stimulator but it was the external one with the electrodes attached to the pack you wear. My doctor gives them to anyone having more than one level fused. I wore it 24 hours a day except for the shower for 3 1/2 months. I think it helped as both my levels were fused at my 5 month check up.
  • I haven't brought the bone stimulator to Dr.'s appts. either, and like your surgeon, mine never asked me to bring it. I'm 11 weeks out now and have missed 5 days total since I received the thing. It had never occurred to me to bring it to appts (should have read the manual); thanks for mentioning that!

~Elle
  • I had one in 2002 and had to wear it 4 hours every day for 6 months. It was shaped like a tv without the screen in both front and back and strapped on with velcro. Batteries were special and had to be replaced like every 3 days. It cost $5000 according to insurance co. Seemed to work as I have not had any lingering issues from the fusion.
advertisement