Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l5-s1 lamectomy and discrectomy, 4months PO

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
howdy all. i have surgery 04-28-08 on my(herniated disc, compressed l1 nerve root) l5-s1, discrectomy and lamectomy (i know i didnt spell those right lol) for the first three months post op i was pain free, and doing phys. therapy, it was going great, felt fine etc. we got up to lifting 60 pounds from floor-to-waist in a box two weeks ago, on the second lift, my back started to hurt (it was supervised btw) since then, it hurts to lift anything higher than my waist. my lower back will burn , non specific area, just the whole thing burns. since then, i have had:
(list by annoyance level)
tingling and numbness in left foot, random where it is
absolute searing pain shoots down the inside back towards the rightside of my left leg, lasts for like 2 seconds *(VERY intense)*

ways that i was ok to move/bend/flex, now result in what looks like im having a seizure, its not that the muscles are weak, its like they dont listen 0.o

weird sensations that i dont really know how to describe throughout my left leg. it feels like cold spots, and a buzz of electricity (if you stand next to a transformer, you feel it)
when im tired, my legs HAVE GOT to move, its so weird, but its like they have to move, its this wierd pulling or something deep in my left leg, if i ignore it, it kicks itself. i know i sound crazy lol but i swear thats the only way to describe it :(

this is so frustrating to me. i finaly felt like i was getting better, i lifted 50 pounds floor-to-waist and 35 waist-to-shoulder (my normal is 80lbs and 50lbs)
it felt great. and to do it without meds and without pain (aside from tired muscles, wich feel GREAT after being down for so long heh). i never did anything "dangerous" or questionable, the only time i lifted that much weight was at PT, never at work. its just crap man. now my back hurts every day, regardless of how much rest i get, after working i have to take a pain pill to get to sleep because it hurts so bad, cold packs and heat packs dont work :( tried a massage and got nothing (aside from possible the best looking male int he world giving me a massage with my girlfriend in the room, ya, great feeling, supergoodlooking guy while you are Mr. cant-get-outa-bed-in-the-morning, yay for feelings of inadequicies) *sigh* what makes me feel worse, is knowing that alot of the people here have injuries so much worse than me, and i feel like its impossible for me to get better, its so depressing feeling this way, then reading about somebody who has had a three or four level fusion, its just like "Wow, why the hell am i in such rough safe from a measily little thing ?"
anyway, thanks for listening :D its nice to have a place to vent and talk about things where people understand lol
advertisement

Comments

• Hi
    Sounds like you may have done your self an injury, hopefully nothing more tahn soft tissue. 8>

I thought (ignorant maybe) that all spine ops we are supposed to be careful of lifting and have a weight limited to 6-8 lbs for so many weeks??

Sure your PT needs a slap for pushing you this hard? lol
    Take it easy, you don't want to set yourself back. Back pain is nuisance to get rid of, just look at the boards! :S
  • I would talk to your doc about a new MRI. I thought I overdid it at PT too. I got an updated MRI and found out that I have scar tissue wrapped around the nerve root. :W It's worth checking into. I had the exact same surgery as you. ;))
  • also. I would not think that you are supposed to lift 60 lbs at 4 months post op? Once you have a discectomy at one level, it puts alot of pressure on the discs above and makes it real easy to rupture those discs. I would definitely ask for a new MRI. Good luck and do take it easy as maybe you are lucky enough to just have a muscle or soft tissue injury. I really have never heard of someone lifting that much weight so soon after surgery! Please keep us posted.
  • I had the same surgery twice only on L4-5. I did well for a couple of weeks and one morning I went to get out of the bed and the pain was so bad I fell backwards on the bed and thought I was going to die. I had another MRI done and I guess where I had surgery 2 times on the same disc there wasn't anything left so they told me that the pain was so bad because fragments were on what they called the nerve root. If I moved a certain way it would drop me the pain was so bad nothing helped. I ended up having L3-4, L4-5 fused because of it. I was told after my first 2 surgeries not to lift over 5 pounds and no bending. I don't know about lifting that much weight that soon after surgery? I am a woman though so maybe it is different for men? I just know that pain and injury are the same for everyone, I just don't know how you did it, your a better man than I am =D> because I couldn't do anything for several weeks after my first 2, 1 year after the third. I would talk to your doctor about another MRI just to be safe. Let us know how it works out and I hope things only get better from here for you.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.