Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Person Suffering Lower Back Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
Good Afternoon All!

I am a 30 year old female recently hospitalized with severe lower back pain. I have been traiing for a MMA tournament and somehow injured my L4 and L5 (bulging and tearing).

Just wanted to know if anyone else has this and if so how long did it take to feel better? I am hoping to get back to my training, but I am still unable to sit for any length of time.

This happened 4 weeks ago. I have been doing PT 3 times a week and I am trying to cut out the Flexeril and Vicodin to only once per day.

Any advice? How long until you were able to work out?

Signed - going crazy!! :H
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry but i don't know what a MMA tournament is? i am sure i'm not doing it regardless, lol! i want to welcome you anyway and i know someone will be along and try and help you. your doctor is always the best person to answer those serious questions though. cutting back meds whenever possible is always a good idea. i hope you can do it! good luck in your pain treatment. Jenny :)
  • MMA is mixed martial arts (kickboxing/grappling). :)

I have spoken to my doctors and they think now we are just going to wait to see if it heals on it's own. However, reading these posts, it seems like that is usually not the case?

I am only having intense pain at work because of the sitting. I am fine of I do not need to sit, lol!

Thank you for your reply. It is nice to know how other people have gotten through this!

Hope you are well!
  • Does MMA stand for Mixed Martial Arts by any chance?

If thats what you are doing you will have to be careful you are not doing any more damage to yourself.

Your doctor is your friend and they will help guide you. All of us here will give you what support we can.

Wishing you all the best
    Danni
  • Thank you for your reply and kind words. I am hoping that my back will heal and I can get back to my normal routine, however, it looks like that may not be a possibility anytime soon - but POSITIVE thoughts!!

I hope you are doing well and hope your surgery is a success!

All Best!
  • I completely understand your pain. I also had an annular tare and it was very painful. It sounds like yours must not be too bad if sitting is the only time it hurts. I could not sit either but I also could not stand or walk for long. Good luck and I hope that yours will heal on its own. Keep us posted.
  • Thank you.

This happened 5 weeks ago- the pain is a lot better than when it first happened. I was in the hospital for 4 days becuase I could not walk. I wan on bedrest for 3 weeks.

I am just now getting back to semi-normal.

How long did it take you to heal? Were you able to get back to everything? Do you still have pain?
  • Wow bedrest for 3 weeks! That's wild. I was told 3 days and no more, that I needed to make sure I was up and moving. My problem was primarily L5-S1.

If you ask me, the key is ATTITUDE. Set your mind at what you desire and press ahead. You may not get there as fast as you'd like, but you CAN get there.

I went back to wearing double scuba tanks, carrying side deco bottles and camera equiment. It wasn't easy getting there, but I DID GET THERE.

I lost that again due to a different problem, but I know that my ATTITUDE is the key for me!

Welcome to Spine Health!

"C"
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.