Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4 /L5 S1 DDD

backpainishellbbackpainishell Posts: 970
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Management
:D hiya im new on this site,
im from birmingham , england. :S i 1st had surgery bk in 2003, after havin epidural that helped 4 about 6 months.i had problems around the L4/L5 S1 nerve root, i had a disc removed and 1 shaved, the surgery worked 4 about 6 months. :S .then they did the facet joint injections,they helped, so i went back 2 work yet again. then in 2006 my back seized on me , so i had 2 give up my job :''( , on doctors instruction. since then the doctor referred me to pain management, they hav done alot for me. i felt for once that someone cared :) , they hav put me on a drug programme last year, the medication worked in the beggining(i had some strange side affects though :jawdrop: lol). recently i had a check-up with pain management and they said the medication is not working as good as it should be :( , so they are going to give me epidural and facet joint injections :S (they said they dont no which they will do 1st until they have consulted)this will happen within 6 months of each other :S . so its the waiting game again, im just not convinced they will work this time because this is much worse than what its ever been. i am tired all the time , because i cant sleep properly because of the pain (|: , anyway i hope 2 see you all in chat
angie xx
advertisement

Comments

• So sorry to hear you are going through this hell. I to have been down this terrible road of pain!!!!!

I just had an RF procedure done last Thursday 8-21-08....I am in soooo much pain. I can not understand ehy the docs can't help or even keep me out of pain.

My nerves are shot...mentally and physically. I just want to wake up pain free. What a dream that is.

I can relate to your story. I have tried so many things to help me in my pain...just haven't had any luck. I will keep ou in my prayers. Godd luck and keep me posted on how you are doing.
  • hiya thankyou 4 ur reply sorry 2 hear ur also in pain. the surgeon never explained n e thing 2 me, the pm team do it all, can i ask wot is RF? i no how u feel when u say u wud like 2 wake up pain free, its awful the pain. hope 2 see u in chat room real soon. ppl r so nice here and we just help each other , with advice, and just being there . spk soon
    angie x
  • angie i live in manchester uk i have had a laminectomy at l4/l5 and a bilateral discectomy at s1 i am in seveare pain all the time.my back /leg problems were caused by a car crash in 1997 .i have had countless facet joint injections and epidurals but they did not work .all i take now is oxycodone for the pain and i use an acticare unit.if you want to chat you can email me at tony.beer1@googlemail.com.also my msn is the same address.take care and i hope that you are not in too much pain !!!
  • How are you doing today? I think you need a smiley face so here it goes :H
    I'm sorry you have to wait for months for doctors to decide what they want to do. What are the drug programs like in the UK? I'm sorry the medicine given to you is not helping. What do they have you on? A lot of people here in the states take long acting medications like Kadian, Fentanyl, and Oxycontin ( I think that's the one; I always get confused with Oxycontin and Oxycodone). And sometimes short acting medicines like Vicodin for breakthru pain.
    I myself go to pain management too for chronic pain in my back and relentless nerve pain in my leg from an L4-5 herniation and DDD and disc bulge in L5-S1. I had a microdiscectomy but the pain never improved. Then I developed retrolisthesis, recurrent herniation, nerve impingement on L5-S1, and an L3 spinal mass (benign). I had a fusion 3 months ago and I keep back sliding with pain flare ups. The sciatic nerve pain still persists and I get muscle spasms bad enough to make a grown manly man cry.
    I hope you get the treatment you need and feel better soon. Take care
  • Hiya,
    I must admit i am struggling so badly. The siatic pain is worse than ever it goes all the way down my right leg into my foot(right side).My foot is always cold. Every morning i wake-up and my back is in spasm, this is very painful. I struggle getting out of bed to use the toilet, and have to roll then grab my pj leg to lift it out of bed and then my legs are weak. I have pain all the time these days in my lower back and left leg to my knee.I am on a PM programme, the main ones i take are lyrica, nabumtone,amitriptyline,citopram(the last 2 are mood stabilizers and anti-depressants) they were prescribed to encourage my spine to relax.They are not helping much at the moment. i am waiting to have epidural and facet joint injections, they want me to have these 6 months apart.I also have a protruding swelling to the right of my scar . i do honestly know how you feel. PM me any time or i am in chat room alot .

Angiex :(
  • We're like two peas in a pod. I sorry it's rough for you. I'm frustrated myself. Is Nambutome a pain relieving drug? I don't know if there is a U.S. equivalent. Lyrica is a very good medicine for nerve pain. Unfortunately, my insurance won't pay for it, so I take generic Neurontin.
    I've been having problems myself with the sciatica, and recently it started on the opposite leg. In the middle of the night, my right foot will hurt so bad that I wake up crying out, and waking my hubby up. It's like clockwork, around 1:30 or so. Weird.
    I hope you get to feeling better. We can PM each other to keep track easier. Take care
  • Hiya,
    Well i can totally relate to what you are saying, at night when you can not get your legs comfortable bacause of the pain (|: . In the morning i cry when i try to move because its so painful ~X( .Your insurance does not cover the cost of the lyrica :( , does it mean you are not getting the right medication? Nabumetone is an anti inflamatry drug, lately i feel that the medication just dont work, and just makes me drowsy @) . If anyone has any ideas how to reduce spasms in the back, let me know , because i am getting really desparate for some relief :/ .PM me any time. :H

Angie x
  • That is what helped me the best as for as muscle spasms are concerned. It was given to my after my fusion. I have one refill left, and when I'm thru, I'll be switched to Zanaflex. I take it when I really need to, or break it in half, to make it last.
    I can understand about waking up in pain in the mornings and not being able to move. Thank goodness my kids are older and can fend for themselves, but I still have to be up so they do what they're supposed to. My daughter still needs a little help styling her hair, and I dispense their meds too.
    Soma is another good muscle relaxer, but some doctors don't like prescribing it if you're taking Vicodin. I used to take it and it worked pretty well. Flexeril would make me sleep all day and keep me awake all night. Skelaxin was okay, not supposed to make you drowsy, but it wasn't efficient with the msucle spasms.
    I hope this is a little helpful; these are some of my experiences with these muscle relaxers. Take care
advertisement