Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Deep Ache into hip, groin and QL muscle

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello,

I am 31 years old. I have a small disc bulg at the L5 S1. It has been 2 years now, and my lower back pain is better, but i still have sciatic pain down my left leg for 1 year now. It use to be a burning pain, but now it's just stiffness when i stand. I also can't sit for very long still, or stand before my muscles start to ache.
My pain is all on my left side. Since my disc bulge, my side muscles on the left have become extremly tight (QL and Paraspinal.)
Lately my symptoms are changing. I still have leg stiffness when standing and a very tight side and lower back muscles, but i am now getting a deep ache into my upper hip glute area which extends to the front of my upper thigh crease. This acheing pain and stiffness keeps me up at night now where i can't find a comfortable position to sleep in like i use to. The ache starts in my left Ql and exends down to the left side of my hip. Also when i walk now i get groin pain.I feel very stiff and unnatural when i walk.
What is going on? Is it just chronic muscle pain? What is now causing pain in my hip and groin? I'm starting to think it may be my SI Joint????
Just when i thought things were starting to get better...
advertisement

Comments

• I have much of the same pain that you speak of but it is coming from my facet joints. I can not sit, stand or walk for any real length of time. Have you discussed this new pain with your doc? It sounds like you may need an MRI. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • I too have similar symptoms. My L5-S1 disc is ruptured and has become degenerated. I injured it by trying to lift something being handed to Me that was too heavy. The pain has changed in 10 months. The symptoms now though are like yours.
  • I have an apt. with my doctor in 2 weeks, so i can discuss my changing symptoms. But i always find that they brush me off, and don't want to consider that other things could be causing my sciatic and sore/tight muscles other than my disc. I have had an MRI a year ago, but i would really like to get another one just to make sure the disc hasn't gotten worse, or to look at other areas (S.I. or piriformis) that may also be contributing to my pain.
    I just really think that for such a slight bulge, and being over 2 years, i should be feeling much better by now. So perhaps something else is flaring me up. It's so frusterating! I find it very hard to keep positive when my body aches daily and i'm restricted in life in so many ways.
    Thank you for your responses.
  • My pain is in the area of the pelvis called the ischial tuberosity. It's that curved part of the bottom of the back of the pelvis. Pain is also in the lum/sac area. The pain has been going on since July '07. Injections for the pain have helped very little. Sitting and standing is awful. Only relief is to lie down.
  • I am hoping you are doing better and if so...what was the determination and what helped you?

I have similar issues...tightness and swelling in the QL, hurting in the glutes and outer hip area int he soft tissue that makes it hard to sleep at night from the pressure and sometimes it will go down the leg like sciatica. Mine is mostly right side - my left side is weaker and the right does it's own work and then compensates.

I was diagnosed with pelvic muscle dysfunction and gluteal muscle strain. I had to use supports (canes/crutches) to walk for several months and have begun to wean off them this past week and that is when this all flared. It's not the same pain as before, though. Using the canes when I had to put all my weight on them caused the QL to shorten and tighten and the psoas as well. A lot of enforced inactivity has also tightened the hamstrings. These three muscles together can cause a lot of this as they pull in opposite directions on the pelvis - or so I have been told. I found that having someone roll my hamstrings with a rolling pin going in the direction from the knee toward the body only has helped with some of this. I am as yet unable to get into positions to do any stretching that has any appreciable effect.

But there is a definite connection with the psaos to the QL and the QL can then trigger sacral spasm and pain - and this I have experiences repeatedly at home and while in treatment sessions.
  • QLButtPainQQLButtPain Ontario, CanadaPosts: 1

I am hoping you are doing better and if so...what was the determination and what helped you?

I have similar issues...tightness and swelling in the QL, hurting in the glutes and outer hip area int he soft tissue that makes it hard to sleep at night from the pressure and sometimes it will go down the leg like sciatica. Mine is mostly right side - my left side is weaker and the right does it's own work and then compensates.

I was diagnosed with pelvic muscle dysfunction and gluteal muscle strain. I had to use supports (canes/crutches) to walk for several months and have begun to wean off them this past week and that is when this all flared. It's not the same pain as before, though. Using the canes when I had to put all my weight on them caused the QL to shorten and tighten and the psoas as well. A lot of enforced inactivity has also tightened the hamstrings. These three muscles together can cause a lot of this as they pull in opposite directions on the pelvis - or so I have been told. I found that having someone roll my hamstrings with a rolling pin going in the direction from the knee toward the body only has helped with some of this. I am as yet unable to get into positions to do any stretching that has any appreciable effect.

But there is a definite connection with the psaos to the QL and the QL can then trigger sacral spasm and pain - and this I have experiences repeatedly at home and while in treatment sessions.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.