Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

People like us with AD Implants, how do we get pass airport scan

KayanoKKayano Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi,

Just a curious question on travelling through airports. People like us who had implants done, how do we get pass the airport scan?

Do I need a special letter or card from the hospital to certified and produce to the airport authority whenever people like me pass through the scan machine.

You know the one I am refering to when the passenger before entering the boarding area, they have to submit any hand carry bag through the x-ray machine and then the passenger walk through another scan detector gate. If it beeps, the passenger has to empty his pocket/ remove belt if the buckle is the cause of it. So if the implant in the neck, put the whole body through the x-ray machine and let them see the implant....??? This sound funny to me now.

I just want to prepare myself for future travelling and perhaps the next medical appoint in 1.5 months time, I know what to ask from the hospital.

Thank you for reading and any experience to share on this.

Cheers !
Kayano

advertisement

Comments

• It's fantastic to hear from you again!

You should be able to get a card from your surgeon that will tell the airport security that you have medical implants. I have a card that has a statement about it in multiple languages.

Depending on the material your implants are made out of, you may not even set off the security scanners. It's nice to have an official card though, just in case.

"C"
  • the surgeon should give you a card. My father in law had a knee replacement a couple of years ago and he said he got his from the surgeon. However it still takes him quite awhile to get through security at the airport.
    BTW-I've read your previous posts and see you are from Singapore. It's such a beautiful place and the photos you posted from there really brought back the memories. Thank you for sharing them with us and I hope you're doing wonderfully these days!
  • Funny that you ask this question; it was one of my questions for the surgeon during my pre-op visit. I do travel a lot through airports so any help for Kayano and I would be appreciated.

Rob
  • I will ask my surgeon/doctor on my next visit in October for this card.

Cheers !
    Kayano
  • Kayano, How are you doing? Nice to see you posting again! I asked about that at my pre-op appointment the other week. They told me there wasn't enough to set off a detector. I really hope not. With our airport security now adays, Lord knows you don't want anything to go wrong!! I think I'll go downtown to the courthouse soon and test it out through those detectors....hope they don't think I'm hiding something under my neck....yikes! I think I'll take my discharge papers from the surgery just in case! ;) Let us know what the surgeon says, and if I make it to the courthouse, I'll let ya know what happens...LOL!
  • Kayano,

Thanks for all those pictures. Wow! Even taking communion.

That's VERY heart warming. You give me encouragement in case I need this kind of surgery some day.

Best wishes for your continued good health.
  • At my 6 week check-up, after my C5-6 desectomy and fusion with titanium plate and screws, I was given a credit-card sized, laminated picture, showing my x-rays of the plate. I took it with me on my two flights this summer, but never had to use it, as I didn't set off any alarms. But I just had one level done. I would think more levels, more metal, maybe more beeps. Good luck to all.
  • I was given a card after the fusions & getting the SCS...I've never set off any alarms.....
  • My surgeon said the titanium discs and bolts won't set it off and I've never had a problem so far.
  • Kayano, if you beep, they will wave you over with their wand just like they do if you have coins in your pocket or a big buckle on your belt. I frequently set off the detector at Changi airport and it made little difference when I had my hardware in or after I had it removed.

These days I understand that whether you have a card or letter or not does not matter much - if you set off the alarm you will still be waved over with the wand or frisked. It's just a fact of life with air travel these days.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• After I had my scs implanted, I received a card from the company that manufactured the implant. It has my name on it, the type of implant I have as well as a registered number, and a phone number to call to verify that I have the implant. I haven't traveled anywhere yet so I don't know how much it will help, but I did get one!
advertisement