Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sever low back pain: need advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Management
im a 40 yr old male whos had a history with low back pain ever since i was 19 yrs old . ive seen so many doctors through the years and can relate to alot of people in here who post . i was diagnosed with ddd, spinal stenosis,rupured disc in L2,L3,L4,L5 i was told by many surgens that i would need back surgery, ive had so many opinions that everyone came back to the same answer SURGERY!
i know alot of people whos had it and wished they never did ,they say there haveing more pain now after the surgery than they did before. anyway, ive been on all kinds of pain
pills the last was oxycontin 80 mg twice daily with xanax 2mg . first let me tell you it was a huge mistake that i ever started oxy's .when i stopped i went thru a sever withdraw from that drug i would have welcomed death to spare me of the withdraw from that pain pill, ive been drug free for 2 yrs now and still in pain but im so afaid to get any kind of pain releif with pills . ive tryed all other options other than pain meds and it was unsucessful. i just dont know where to trun to now. i would hope someone could give me some advice that would help me with this crippling pain.. rob.
advertisement

Comments

• Rob and welcome to the forum. You will find so much support and understanding from all the wonderful members here. I am so sorry that you went through what you did with the meds. Also , please understand that there are success stories for people with back surgery....however , usually when people do get their life back after a successful surgery they tend to stop posting here....my husband had 3 back surgeries a little over 10 years ago and he is doing great today , so there are good ones that happen. Now , I don't say that to try and sway you toward surgery , I just say that to let you know that not all surgeries end up bad. Only you and your doctor can decide which route is best for you and only you can decide if surgery is the best for you. I wish you the best of luck and if there is ever anything that I can help you with then please just let me know. Take care ...Miki
  • I had the magic remedy, but I don't. I just wanna add that if surgery is in future, I would do it while still young. I would think your body would have a better chance of healing before you get older. If you do have to take meds after surgery, get your doc to wean you off them slowly and w/d won't be so bad. Good luck and hope you find some relief soon.
  • I commend you for trying not to rely on pain meds for relief. I can only offer my experience as a 52 year old male with chronic lumbar pain. I have had back pain since I was roughly 40 and over the last decade the condition worsened with more trips to my family doc and ER visits. I have since been referred to a pain clinic and have been seen their for thew past year over which time I have had injections which initially helped but stopped giving me relief 8 mo ago after the 4th set. I have had MRI'S which show DDD bulging at 5,4,3 and multiple tears up and down. My pain doc did a discogram this past april and based on the results of that said I was not a candidate for surgery due to the condition of the spine and discs. So I have a tens unit which helps especially in the evening, Ladocain patches which help if I put 2 on, PT which I have stopped due to my doctor not wanting me to continue, Vicodin ES, Norflex, and Cymbalta dailey. My situation is progressive further and @ my last appointment we talked about a stimulator, a pain pump and or going to Methedone, Fentynl patch, or Kadian. I am sorry I do not have any good advice other than share my history since around 40 years old and what my situation is today. As others have said talk to your doc about other alternatives if you want to avoid surgury as from my experience their are quite a few some of which do not involve pills. Take Care and Good Luck.
  • Like you my husband is 47 years young. He has had back problems and some pain on and off for the past 15 years. He broke is back in 2 places and his neck in an accident. However, he could take hydro's when it was at its worse and still live life.Three years ago his back put him down and that is when he was diagnosed with DDD and stenosis of the spine. He drove long haul for 15 years then 1 day nothing. He has been in chronic pain mgmt for last 3 years and had neck surgery in Sept 07 (c5/6) and that helped some and was ablt to quit taking the Kadian (60 mg twice a day) Had terrible withdrawl coming off that one. He had back fusion L1 to L5 on 7-31-08 and is now down to the Hydros, Flexeril, and Neurontin. He believes once some of this leg pain goes down he will be able to survive on just the Hydros again. Sorry so long but I guess what I am trying to show is after the surgery, there is life again.
  • did you go cold turkey off the oxy? there is a med called suboxone that can be given for the withdrawals. I am so sorry that you had such a horrible experience with the meds since for so many of us that is the only solution or relief that we get. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • s.seligson

I have had two back fusions, and highly recommend the operation. It is a life-safer. Ii work out, am 62 years old, only use Tylenol. both surgeries were long, serious and worht it all. I did everything my neuro-suegeon advised, and would have another without fear if needed. there is no need to be in such excruiating pain, an operatio will help. DON'T listen to other people's horror stories, go for the op. best wishes
advertisement