Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member with Questions

Nana ShanNNana Shan Posts: 36
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
I am so glad I have found this forum and would like to share me experience so far. I am 49 years old a very active and healthy women who is outgoing and a big golfer, and have been experiencing minor lower back pain for many years. The last couple of years it has effected by legs and hips. Physio, Chiro, and acupucture have helped my Sciatica but it never really gone away. The last three months have been a nightmare progressively getting worse. As of this week I have to be quite bent over to be able to walk without winching in pain I cannot straighten my legs or back and it is very difficult to bend. I started with Advil and Muscle relaxants then Tylenol 3's just be able to be mobile when I need to. Sitting is ok and so is sleeping. I have had a CT scan to confirm Spinal Stenosis and have an appointment to see my Doctor later today to further discuss treatment or surgery. My drugs are not working and neither are the treatments I am sure hoping to get some answeres from the dr. today because my quality of life is quite poor.
Two questions: -what other type drugs help others with similare radiating pain in legs and hips causing me to be almost paralized with pain and unable to walk.
-will a cane help me or two canes. To be honest the most comfortable way of walking is bent over a shopping cart... but I can't shop forever even though I do enjoy shopping :H
Thank you for this.
Nana Shan
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Nana Shan

The golden question!

I found the use of a cane to be a god send. Stabilises me and when th epain is really bad helps me weight bear.

Leaning forward used to offer me relief but i found it aggrivated my symptoms. So try pulling the shopping cart instead - it may help!

I get the weirdest of looks but who cares!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,729
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

________________________________________________________________________________
    It is good that you are seeing your doctor to get the right diagnostic tests to isolate what is the cause of your sciatica pain. Many times that is a direct result of a disc impinging on a nerve root. Degenerative Disc Disease and Spinal Stenosis will also cause some of that leg pain and also be the cause for some of the posture you mentioned.
    Your doctor will be the best one to identify what medications are best for you. Each person has a different set of medications to help with their alignments.
    As far as the Cane, by all means use it. Whatever works best for you. I agree with you about the shopping cart. When out, it is so much easier for me to get around when I have my two hands on a shopping cart and use that to move around.
    Discuss all possibilities with your doctor. You need to find out what is causing your pain and what is making it so difficult for you to walk.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have severe sciatica in my left leg as well. ~X( there are several nerve pain medications available. i am taking Lyrica, which has proven to be a big help. your doctor can give you the best information on this. i use a cane when my leg feels especially weak. if you are having a really difficult time consider a walker which would help with your balance as well. two canes does not sound like a good idea for that. i know exactly what you mean about feeling better bent over. exercise and stretching could help with this. if you are not moving around your pain can get worse. these are good points to bring up with your doctor. good luck and i hope you find a pain treatment to give you some relief! Jenny :)