Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a Micro Discectomy and Lumbar Laminectomy at L5-S1 on July 24, 2008 due to a ruptured disc that had broken off in to pieces. I also have a ruptured disc at L4-L5 and two bulging discs above that. I had some pretty bad pain for a few days after surgery followed by a few weeks that were pretty good. I was feeling pretty optimistic. For the weeks since then I've been in more pain than before surgery. I've had bad back pain and leg pain down the right side. Same as before but worse. The pain goes all the way down through my right calf. I also have developed severe sharp pain in the front of both knees which I've never had in my life. There is no reason why I'd have this pain unless it's surgery related. My surgeon said that I may need a two level fusion but that he thought it would be worth doing what he did first to see if that helped enough that I wouldn't need the fusion or if I could put it off for a long time.

Is it too soon to tell or am has my surgery not been successful? I start PT in a few weeks.

Also, has anyone ever heard of pain in the front of the knees from back problems or surgery? I've had no other injury or trauma so I can't think of anything else.

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Karma,

I am very sorry about your pain. If it is worse than it was before the surgery, I would definitely call the surgeon and ask why. I would not worry too much about the knee pain, that sometimes happens after back surgery because they put you on your stomach on the operating table, and if the knees are not in the right position, they can hurt afterwards.

Talk to your doctor and see what he suggests.

Take care,

Kin
  • that the nerves are going a bit crazy from being messed with. It's been barely a month so I wouldn't stress too much yet. Sometimes after surgery nerves can go haywire. After my MicroD my sciatic nerve went haywire and it was the worst pain I had ever felt. I think your doctor is right to try that before doing a fusion... If he was going to do a fusion right off the bat without an attempt at a smaller surgery, I'd be worried.

Are you taking Neurontin? Another really effective thing is Aquatic therapy in a warm pool. It's the best physical therapy I ever had, and the less stressful on my body. I started Aquatics about 7 or 8 weeks after MicroD. My pain has gotten progressively worse since surgery, but I don't think it's from the surgery at all... It's because my disc is just bad.

I'd give yourself at least 6 weeks before you start stressing yourself. It may get a little better with time, and it may not... But as long as you're doing what you're supposed to do on your end for recovery, then you're on the right track.
  • discrete,

It never hurts to call. If you are having this much of a problem and are stressing over it, the best thing to do is put in a call to the surgeon. They expect to get calls, so it's not out of line to do so. This way it can ease your mind and if necessary reduce the amount of time you suffer.

The funny thing is, prior to me getting an SCS I would have had a difficult time understanding how your spine could make it feel like you are getting cut off at the knees. I get stimulation across the front of my knees so strong at times it boggles my mind. So yes that can come from your spine, not just how you are walking.

Give him a call.

"C"