Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Qustions about ACDF surgery, nck spasms among other things for prep and post-op??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone!

Anyone out there who has had the ACDF surgery that had or did not have neck spasms before surgery, could you please explain to me what it was like for you post operatively?
:S I am concerned that I will have really terrible spasms. I already get them now so bad that sometimes I end up in the ER. I actually had one that waranted a trip to the ER last week. So any help and suggestions with this would be appreciated!

I know everyone heals differently and at a different pace and I do need to pay attention to my body, but I would like to know peoples experiences with this surgery. These are the kinds of questions that a doc can't answer ya know...lol

I will have my Mom here after surgery and home from hospital for about 4 dyas, then I will need to be on my own for about 2-3 days untill my Mom returns again. She lives 2 1/2 hours away. I live alone and I have no kids and I am not married or in a relationship.
This scares me!! :S :SS I do live in a condo complex where there are many older people who do not work that can check on me, but I am not sure if I will need someone to come and cook meals or not.
???--:? Do you think I will be able to put things in the microwave and prepare vegi's?? Something easy like brussel sprouts or salad or Broccoli??? Or do I really need to have someone doing that for me so I am not overdoing it??
I plan on using paper plates and what not when my Mom is not here to minimize any dish washing.

I have discussed having a shower stool arranged for me when they discharge me from the hospital.

???--Did any of you use your shower stool???
???--Did you shower with or without your hard collar on?? My doc does not require it to be on in the shower, but I will have extra pads and be able to do so if I like.

???--What was your experience with showering?? Was it hard to lift your arms to wash your hair??
I do have a shower nozzel that comes off the wall.

???--When getting up from the toilet was this difficult?
???--Did you need assistance? If so for how long after surgery??
???--I know this is TMI, but I just gotta ask. When going 32 was this painful? I am talking about the bearing down. Not that you would need to be doing this very hard..lol??

???--When you started out on a walking schedule, did you say walk 2-3 times a day for real short time lengths? Maybe some example of what worked for you.

???--I do have stairs in my home! :S I am afraid to walk up and down the stairs. How did this feel to you?? I plan to sleep either in the bed upstairs on on the couch whatever works at the time with the wedge Pillows. ???--Did you set up camp so-to-speak in either the up or downstairs for the daytime??

Alright I think I have asked a lot of questions so far. I guess I am most concerned about the time when my Mom will not be here and I am by myself. You know how you can come downstairs and forget to bring something and then have to go back up and down. I just am afraid of overdoing it.

I said there are people that are near for help, but it is not like I would call them every 5 minutes to come and help me forget something I left upstairs. I figure the times I would need them most after Mom has gone is 1.) for food preperations or clean up 2.) if I need to be driven somewhere or 3.) For some type of Emergencey reason.

Thanks for reading and listening. You can PM me if you like.
I feel I need some added support at this time because The pain has been really elevated since last weeks BIG spasm and trip to the ER.
Then on top of that I was on the phone with the Surgery center and they want an huge downpayment on the Day of surgery. Like $10,000 bucks!! :jawdrop:
My attorney is currently working to try and get them to do a lein basis deal, but they are very resistant and made me make the arrangements for this down payment and I don't even know how that will work out.

So I have had a pretty tough day physically and emotionally.

I just can not fathom having to wait any longer for this surgery. I feel as though I would fall to pieces emotionally if that becomes a reality! :( :(

Please pray for me! Any words of encouragement and sharing of experiences are very very welcome...

Thanks
Chrissy
advertisement

Comments

• Crissy - thanks for asking all of these questions. I too want to know the answers for my upcoming ACDF. It is hard to decifer what is needed for cervical surgeries vs. lumbar surgeries as they are all bunched into one post surgical list. I am praying that everything works out for you!!
  • Which levels are you having fused?
  • Hello Ewaight!

Thanks for asking. Silly me 8} I did not post that part!

I will have a 2 level at C 4-5 and C 5-6.

Tonight is just not a good night! All the stress and I already had elevated pain. i am trying to distract and just surf around the board and listen to the tv.

Chrissy
  • I had a c6-c7 ACDF 15 years ago. I did not have neck spasms. I never used a shower chair, and only had a soft collar, which I did not wear in the shower. My recovery was pretty uneventful, other than a post-surgery infection which kept me in the hospital an extra day, but was controlled (thankfully) with an IV antibiotic. I've had neck discomfort ever since, and a couple of flare-ups that were resolved with PT.

My spondylosis is now severe, and 3 weeks ago I had a 3 level posterior foraminotomy, foraminectomy, and arthrodesis, for pain and severe weakness and numbness. These things tend to be progressive, and the fusion tends to put more stress on adjacent levels.

Goof luck!!!
advertisement