Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about Lower Back Pain and its connection w/ leg pain

ButterflyPainBButterflyPain Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have a herniated disc in my neck C5, my neuro says it isn't bad enough for surgery etc.

Anyhow I do have mild scolosis in my lower right thorasic spine.

I haven't had any x-rays done for my lower back, but I've been having lower back pain for awhile.

For the last 8 months I've experienced three times where my left leg felt weak and have fallen. Not sure if then it was due to emotions or what. Now that I have my emotions pretty much in check, I notice every morning my left ankle hurts and I'm always limping for awhile.
Then sometimes I'll get a cramp in my left buttock, and some pain through out the left leg, with some fallen asleep type numbness in the left foot and burning pains in the foot and toes.

I know I have pain in my knees when I go down stairs and have had electric shock feeling sometimes in the front of my shins.

My question is, could this be pain associated with a possible lower back /spine/herniated disc problem?

I see the neuro in two weeks to tackle this issue. Could my cervical herniation perhaps radiate down that far?

It seems my whole left side has been having problems for months. I do have minor similar problems in the arms on the right side.

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• I do know that when my back issues started I also had severe pain in my neck. My doc told me that lots of times when they fix one issue it also fixes the other, and it did. So, I am assuming that yes neck pain and lower back pain can be related. definitely talk to your doc about it though and maybe he will do an MRI to be sure. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Thanks...Yeah, I've only had an MRI on the cervical spine and x-ray on cervical and thorasic spine, but not lumbar.
  • I don't know why they will not just do an MRI on the whole shabang. The cost I guess.
  • It is most likely that your leg problems are coming from your lower back. From my experiences your cervical spine would deal with shoulders, arms and hands. Your lumbar deals with butt, thighs, knees, legs and feet.Best thing is to make sure you tell your NS.
    You might want to make them aware of issues before your appointment so that they can order the MRI so that you can go in with the films. Keep us posted. :)
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi butterfly,
    Everyone is "wired" differently,but I had some of the pains you described. But I'm unusual, most people have pain down the back of their leg. Mine was more like a numb, frozen knee and standing on hot needles burning my feet. I very seldom had pain down the back of my legs.But excruciating pain in my lower back. When I got My mri I had ddd, bulging herniated discs. L4, L5, S1. And with the symptoms I had, the os didn't even want to do the mri. So I think it would be wise to get an mri of the lower back to be sure. But I don"t think in my own opinion, that would have anything to do with your cervical problems. But I'm not qualified to advise on that.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Thank you! I'll have to see what he thinks . He always ask if I have lower back pain, and I think he ask the mostly because I have a curve that starts in my lower back, maybe due to my scolosis in my thorasic spine.

But I will definitely discuss it with him. I just want to know if my leg problems are from how I sleep or sit during the day or if there really is a problem.

I think there has to be a problem, since I've never had leg pains before.
  • Thanx. I will definitely ask him if he thinks a x-ray or mri is neccessary. Just got to make sure my insurance will cover it again and my dad is willing to spend 90 bucks (which is my copay), but now that the new semester is starting my insurance restarts and I have 500 to spend before I get copays again ugh.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.