Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal stimulator implant scheduled

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone! I new to your group... I'm scheduled for a spinal stimulator implant trial on Sept 12th and just saw the dr today and he said I need to get a mental clearance for this??? has anyone ever heard of this before? if so Why? Not that I care or have a problem doing it, it just sounds weird. I have had 5 spinal surgeries over the past 7 years and I'm tired of being in so much pain and taking so much medication. I use patched for most of the pain and pills for break through but its not controlling it so we really hope the stimulator will help. I've been disabled for almost 5 years now and it really stinks I'm almost stuck in the house or laying flat 18hr a day. Let me know what you think about the mental thing ok Jeanette
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Jeanette and Welcome.

For more information on SCS trials and implant look under Pain Management. The psych test is a piece of cake. They just want to make sure that you will follow your doctors instructions and have good support around you. This community board has been great for support and understanding. I hope you keep us updated. Can you give us a little more information on what your going through and what type of SCS trial. Let me know if I an answer any questions, feel free to PM me.
    O-
  • Hi Jeanette,

I am presently in the middle of my trial period and like you as I was getting the approval (at the VA Hospital) and all, I too had to get the mental clearance, which I like you was wondering why? I really did not get an answer from them, other than it was the process one has to go through to start the trial.

Like so many with back problems, I have had 2 back surgeries (1986 & 1988), last one being a fusion of the L4 to S1, with steel rods to hold in place.

I have been in pain management for now over 4 years and getting steroid injections every other month with less and less of pain relief.

So far based on the relief that I am getting, I am looking forward to have the device implanted permanently probably within the next couple of months (with the VA process approval) Maybe sooner!

Good luck on your trial and here's hoping that you will get so relief of your pain.

Ken
  • Hi Jeanette, I had the spinal stimulator implanted as a trial like most have to. I also, had to take the mental clearance test- it was easy, silly to most but they want to make sure you are compliant. I was told the manufacturer required it not the dr, but I believe that was a lie. Oh well, I decided after my trial to have it removed due to the pain. It made me feel worse but I feel honestly had I let them adjust it, I may have been able to keep it. I hope it works well for you though, I saw a lady in the radiology department the other day and she had nothing but great things to say about hers. I have tried so many things and actually this was the only thing I gave up on. I now know the pain is because of 2 more discs bulging! So, it really wouldn't have worked for me. I will be praying for you that you find sucess with yours.
  • :) :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.i don't have a stimulator but i do have pain so we have that in common. i also spend alot of time in my home and go out rarely. i have found it is just not worth it to me to have more pain to have social outings. after 40 years of pain i am very tired right now. good luck on your stimulator and i am sure it will work for you!! alot of people have them on the forum and are very happy with them. Jenny :)
  • I am one of those happy SCS owners! Metronic Restore Ultra.

"C"
  • hi everyone, thanks for all the answers about the mental clearance, it was easy just like you said. The Dr. has now pushed off my surgery until Oct 3rd. I feel like it is never going to happen. I hope I'm not getting my hopes up to high. I'm hoping to get my pain under control. I am a anterior and posterior fusion of l3 l4 s1 w/bone grafts wire cages pins rods screws, Massive infection into the bone mersa IV antibiotics for 6 months. Lupus, fibromylga, chronic fatigue. I have lots of lower back pain and it runs down the right leg causing drop foot. Its been 5 years of this pain and I can't wait for some relief let all pray I get some. I hope I like it when the put the trial in. How long do I have to wait till they put the on that stays in? I hear that is about two weeks after?? I heard the time inbetween is a pain with having an open wound is the true? Jeanette
  • Sorry you have gone through so much to get to this point. My hat is off to you girl!!!

There is a great amount of disparity in the times between removal of the trial stim and implant of the permanent one. It seems most people wait between 3 to 6 weeks. I was fortunate to have mine implanted the following day.

Not sure what you are refering to about having an open wound the entire time.

"C"
  • I had one implanted in Oct.06 and it's being taken out in nov.08 because it just did not cover the right area on my back but they have to do a mental eval. first it is just something they have to do first, no biggie. I HOPE IT WORKS GOOD FOR YOU because it did not on me, and the trial period is too short of a time frame to really give conclusive results when i had my trial it seemed to help slightly, but after about 2 days the leads moved and that was that. they went ahead with the surgery anyway, and the results are less than appealing, GOOD LUCK :S

to all of you that have them and they work well i'm very jelous and just wish i could get some relief i will pray for you mine is from the company ANS model 1210
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi, I had the same problem and same co. as daleinmi. daleinmi I'm sending you a pm.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I was told that my insurance provider required the mental eval. because there have been cases where people feel almost "robotic" with the situation of having a controller that can influence you. Those people insisted it be taken out, at much expense to the insurance company I'd imagine, for that reason. As if they could be "controlled"- it did a number on their psyche and caused them great distress to be thought of that way.

Having said that, I have one and it's not been what I'd hoped. The jolting between movements of lying down, sitting, and standing are too extreme and I'm fairly confident it has slipped a bit in position as I can no longer get it to effect anything but my stomach and left leg. I'm considering asking how one goes about having it removed as it's more of a hinderance than a help at this point. I also have a problem keeping up the warranty payments yearly. I wish I'd been told of that beforehand. Mine was to keep my lower back in a better state but as of now I don't even turn it on.

My wait between trial and perm. model was 6 days.

My sister in law has the same model I do, for her ankle pain, and it's a God-send to her. It's changed her life. I wish you the same experience as hers and I know I've heard many many good things.
advertisement