Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about branch blocks and nerve burns.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Spinal Injections
So I got a left medial branch block yesterday. They didn't touch the right side to leave it as a control... something to compare against.

I can't tell too accurately now, but it does feel like the left side is a bit relieved compared to the right.

My doctor is telling me that the next step is a nerve burn. Is this a common course of events?

Also, I didnt quite catch it clearly from the doc... but is it true that sucess of a branch block implies that its a facets problem? Other wise its a disc issue? The MRI showed a bulging disk so I'm confused on what the hell is actually going on. I guess thats a normal thing with pain.... :(

Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Matt
advertisement

Comments

• I am scheduled for a Rhizotomy on 10-20-08, which is to burn the nerves? I'm guessing you have not yet had it done?
  • i had an L2 nerve branch done yesterday - right and left.... he said he is hoping it pain senders will be rerouted with this, and it will help the pain im having...
    i have had so many steroid/epidurals the last 12 month it scares me what this med is really doing to my body... and if it is contributing to the bladder problems i have started with the last two months
  • melmore
    I'm not positive, but I think the medial branch nerves are those that are related to the facet joints. But I don't know if those same nerves go to the disc (I guess I need to study my anatomy).

I think the symptoms of your pain are likely to have been a major contributor leading your doctor into examining the facet joints first (regardless of your MRI results). But I'm not a doctor, so I can't know for sure. My advice is to talk with your doctor, ask him/her what their thought process was in determining where to start on pinpointing where your pain is coming from.

tcr1130
    The medication they use in a nerve block is a numbing medication, not a steroid.

Good luck to you both.
  • I had a branch block done on both sides two days ago... it does feel like it helpled. but mine was done to see if the hardware should be removed.I hope so because I think the hardware is causing alot of my pain. I think the facet joints are causing the pain and thats why they did a medial block. hope everyone gets some releif. Have a great weekend.
advertisement