Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had dynamic stablization and now chronic pain worse?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Chronic Pain
Has anyone had a lumbar dynamic stabilization surgery? I had this done in place of fusion in 2005.... now my chronic pain is much worse?
advertisement

Comments

• I was reading about this surgury,did your surgeon discuss any of the risks from having the surgeon,from what i read there seems to be alot of serious risk from the surgury,is a new type of back surgury?
  • I have never heard of this surgery before so I tried to look it up. What I found is very little. This is what I read. Lumbar dynamic stabilization using any device is considered investigational for the treatment of the lumbar and sacral spine. So I would like to know if you were in some part of a study for this? Does your insurance cover this when it is considered investigational? The one I was reading said it was a good out come. It said that there were no long term problems with the areas above the device area or below as there are in other spinal surgery's. Have you been having problems since you had this surgery?
  • Sally,

There are a couple of dynamic stabilizing systems that are FDA approved (post-investigational). The DynESys has been approved for up to 2-level fixations....I needed a 3-level fixation system but Blue Cross would not cover the cost for that so I had to pay cash. I'm one of only very few people that have had a 3-level (S1-L3) DynESys due to insurance -or lack there of.

I've not had any instability problems since my surgery (2005). I'd have to say it's worked well in that regard, however my chronic pain is "off the charts", and getting worse. My guess it's caused by movement of/in facet joints. I just had a new MRI yesterday in preparation for a spinal cord stimulator (Boston Scientific Precision model).

There is a New dynamic stabilization fixation system that has just started the investigational phase. I don't remember its name but it looked like it might be an improvement....it may 'carry' more load and relieve some pressure.

I'll write you more later....my pain meds are making me very sleepy.
    Dynsys...
This discussion has been closed.