Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions to ask Before Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi

I am gathering as much information as I can about a possible 3 level fusion and 2 disc replacements.

I have a final appointment with the consultant soon to discuss the new MRI and what procedures will be carried out, but would like to make sure I have the correct questions to ask before surgery. Trying to avoid the “oh I wish I’d asked xxxx” feeling that is bound to happen.

Does anyone have any questions that as a Must Ask?

Hi

I am gathering as much information as I can about a possible 3 level fusion and 2 disc replacements.

I have a final appointment with the consultant soon to discuss the new MRI and what procedures will be carried out, but would like to make sure I have the correct questions to ask before surgery. Trying to avoid the “oh I wish I’d asked xxxx” feeling that is bound to happen.

Does anyone have any questions that as a Must Ask?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Snoopy,

I know the anxiety you must be feeling and you can never be prepared enough. My first surgeries were emergent and was totally sedated and couldn't ask questions. Thanks to prior arrangements I made with my dad, he understood what my concerns and needs were.

I suggest asking about what type of braces you will wear from TSO to Bone Stimulator if necessary. Will you have any type of home health care. I had a nurse that came by to change my bandages and a home health aid that was suppose to help me shower. I also had PT come to my home until I was cleared to drive. Ask for temporary handicap parking sticker if you don't already have one.

There is also a list of things you will need after surgery that include walker, potty chair, hand grabber and aids to help you not bend, twist or lift. Ask your doctor if the hospital is going to supply you with OT and equipment to take home like the potty chair and spine kit. If they don't you can purchase these things in advance.

I send you good vibes and know you'll do well. Let me know if I can help.
    O-
  • How long they think you'll be out of work...

How many degrees they guesstimate you'll lose in mobility...

Exactly what hardware they are putting in your back and request to see models of the actual hardware...

And based on your specific condition, their expected outcome. (Age, whether or not you smoke, your activity level before surgery...)

• Oh yes, the "i wish I'd asked list!"

You need to remember that the answers will be a guideline as your individual response following surgery and tyrp of surgery will be different.

Work - How long
    Driving?
    Post op corset/Belts
    Physio when start? (usually in hospital then some wait 3-6 weks b4 you start OPA)
    Post op medication?
    Lifting restrictions?
    sitting - this will shock you afterwards - quite a strain
    How long in hospital?
    MRSA risk?
    Visiting rules
    Catheter (sorry)

I can't think of anymore. You are sure to have a pre-op assessment where they can run thro all the stuff.

I was warned about a Central Arterial Filter (straight into heart) but so far this hasn't apeared. If it had a hole - I had a tube out of it - Be ready for that, was a bit of a shock. lol.

Oh happy days.
    When are you scheduled??
  • And how long your expected to lie flat for!

LOL. >:D<
advertisement