Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back to work

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Friday will be my 3 week post acdf. As I had posted before I have been pressured by my boss to go back to work. I actually went in the last 2 days for just 4 1/2 hours each day. I do not have a physically challenging job, but am constantly on the telephone (I did finally get a headset that is extremely helpful) & in & out of my desk assisting people. Training my brand new asst. Just "being on " at all times. Di I keep doing this & hope it gets better soon. I am in so much pain after just about 2 hours into it.
My pain med is percoset has been cut to just 3 per day. I also have flexiril up to 3 per day. This just doesn't work. I have my 4 week post op next Thursday. I don't know if I should wait or call & request something different or the same more often. Originally I had the percs. 1 or 2 each 4- hours. I am better than at first & realize that that is probably too much now. There has to be something else though to take in between.
I know that life must go on & I need to get back to work. It is just so painful. I'm concerned that I am over doing. I get home & change out of my office attire & into my comfy clothes. I try to relax but it's hard as I hurt so terribly bad.
Off the subject. How do I recieve a p.m. that is waiting for me. I can not seem to open it?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Kimmean,

Going back to work is difficult, especially adjusting meds to get through the day. I would talk to someone at your doctors office and explain how your medication is wearing off during these times of exertion. Tell them your willing to make an appointment if necessary to discuss medication options while working. That way they will get the feeling your not seeking. Are you on any time released medications? Remember not to overdue it and you have nothing to prove to co-workers. Pace and set limits for yourself.

Take care of you
    O-
  • Believe or not Darvasit (sp) helped me more for the in between pain. It didn't make me sleepy and i could function. I went back to work at six weeks post op and man did i feel bad, but this is my 3rd week back and things are getting better. Is there anyway you could not have to get up and down so much? If your boss wants you back so soon the you need to make sure he or she understands that you will not be able to do everything like before and conssions need to be made. If he or she seem reluctant to do that then wait unit you feel strong enough to go back. Hang in there things will get better. I know that even when I thought I was regressing I was really getting better. But ONLY YOU know what you feel and what you can do and don't let anyone push you. Keep us posted.
    dc
  • I can't believe you went back to work so soon after your operation.Are you sure its not your headset that is causing your pain.after my operation even just a towel sitting on my head for a few sec. would cause my pain level to raise.i also found that staying verticle for hours at a time would cause the pain to get worse. i would need to go and lay flat for a period of time every day at that point.Did you surgeon clear you to work already? Definitely call your doctor and see if there is something else that you can take that will help you get through the pain. Good luck
  • Thank you for your replies & encouragement.
    I will call my Dr. today & see what they say. When I had my pre-op he told me that I could return to work a few hours at a time after 4 weeks. I know it has not been 4 weeks yet. But with the pressure from my boss & bills to pay I feel that I have to try.
    Yes it is tough to be upright for an extended amount of time. At home I am much better as I can just quit & lie on my recliner, until I feel that I can go again. At the office this is not an option. My boss is understanding but then he doesn't quite understand why since I had the surgery & all went well he believes that I should be back to normal before all of this.
    I am not one to complain & have never been on medication for pain prior to all of this. He'll have to accept me as I am for now, as I know I will get better & stronger.
    I do not believe I have ever given my Dr. a reason to doubt my pain levels. He has given me meds without me having to ask. Except for refills when they run out. He did tell me that he could not guarentee that I would be pain or numb free. I had 3 herniated discs & he elected to fuse just the 5/6. Telling me that I did not want a 3 level fusion for reasons that I truley did not quite understand & can not remeber.
    I am going to work in a bit & see how long I can last today. I do not feel well (pain wise). So it will probably be a short day.
  • how was your day today? You worry me girl it sounds like your taking on too much to soon. Putting yourself in more pain than you need to be in. If you plan on working is there no place at work where you can relax for a few min. to take the stress off your neck? I know even around my house i have family that think just because my incision is healing that my neck is perfectly fine. but its still healing inside.You need to let your boss know how much pain your experiencing,if he's never had a surgery like this he won't realize that there is still pain for a while afterwards,maybe he will be more helpful to you and he may also try and figure out things you could do there to help with your pain issue. it couldn't hurt. ;) Take Care of yourself you don't want to have to go back in for another surgery.
advertisement