Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycontin / Oxycondone / Oxycodone ????

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
The Term OXY is probably one of the most used here in the forums when the topic centers around pain medication.
Many times there is a lot of confusion regarding this medication and others that start with OXY.....

Oxycodone APAP contains tylenol [/u] and is marketed under the names of Percocet, Roxicet, Tylox, Endocet

Oxycodone HCL (Hydrochloride) [u] does NOT contain tylenol[/u]
That can come in the format of:
Oxycontin ER (Extended Relief) 10,20,40,80 and at one time 160mg
Oxycodone IR (Immediate Relief) 5mg- Capsules 5,15,20mg-Tablets ** Latest updated per RiteAid and Hospital Pharmacy

Another name that comes up so often and should not be confused is Hydrocodone
which [u] does contain tylenol (acetaminophen)

This is marketed under the names:
Anexsia, Dolorex Forte, Hycet, Liquicet, Lorcet, Maxidone, Norco, Polygesic, Stagesic, Vicodin, Xodol, Zydone

This can all get confusing, especially when you see a prescription written and then you see what is on the pill bottle.

Bottom line the proper source for all information regarding medications is with your pharmacist and your doctor.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Dilauro,(sp)

One of my Rx is Oxycodone HCL 15mg every 6 hours. I confirmed with my Pharmacists this is a immediate release. I have been given this for breakthrough pain. Did I misunderstand your post that this only comes in 5mg tabs?

Thanks for any info you have.
    O-
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    From what I have been told and from some pharmacey reports,
    Oxycodone IR comes only in 5mg in the USA.
    I've looked an all I see is the 5mg tablet.
    I have been using this for two years now and my Pain mgt doctor has told me, depending on the pain levels I can take
    2-3 tabs (max) at one 4 hour interval. She said that many patients are comfortable with 7.5mg, which means breaking one in half.
    The Immediate Relief medications can be broken in half, while Extended Relief medications should NEVER be broken or crushed.

My post was from information from pharmaceutical journals , drug manufacturers and Internet searches.

But as I said before, the bottom line should always be
    with the Pharmacist. They are the ones dealing with all different medications on a daily basis. If the Oxycodone IR does come in more than 5mg, then I want to go back to my original post and make the correction.
    I just picked up this information regarding Oxycodone IR.
    SO already, I have enough conflicting information to make me do more research to make sure the information I originally posted was correct.

DIN (Drug Identification Number)
    02240131 OXY-IR 10MG TABLET
    02240132 OXY-IR 20MG TABLET
    02231934 OXY-IR 5MG TABLET
  • Just called Pharmacy again to verify. I get this at CVS, Las Vegas, NV. My PM doctor told me could break these in half if needed, but they are so small my pill cutter doesn't like them. I always questioned that, now I know its OK to cut but I don't think I would want to bite into it even though I have a tooth ache. =))

My Rx is Immediate relief, Oxycodone HCL 15mg tablet.
    So they are making higher tabs now. :)
    O-
    I updated my original post.
    I just spoke with a RiteAid and Hospital Pharmacist

Oxycodone IR Capsules 5mg
    Oxycodone IR Tablets 5,15,20mg
  • Roxicodone is also a name frequently used for those immediate release oxycodone HCL; I had them at 15mg each at one point in time, and yes they are quite small! (to the point where I'm not sure a 5 year old could break one i half...)
  • Thank you for doing the research Ron! =D>

Another thing I might suggest to others like me is verify your pills! When you receive your new RX verify the numbers written on the pill (number can be on one or both sides of pill) matches what is on the label as a description. If I have never taken med before I look it up under "Pill identifier" on web. I also verify pill count.

The reasons why I do this is because Pharmacy has made mistakes on my dad's RX before. If I didn't catch it he could have been in serious trouble! :jawdrop: I know Pharmacies double check everything but they are human. Now there also was a skimming pill count thing going on at one of the local Food Store chain RX. I never heard what happened with a lawsuit or anything but 2 months ago that particular store has been completely closed.

I know that we all deal with a lot but our medications are part of our lifeline. It really scared me when they messed up dads RX, he is diabetic with heart problems. You wouldn't know it to look at him, he runs circles around me and is my rock! So take that little extra step to ensure you're taking the right pill, they all begin to look alike especially when pharmacists changes manufacturers or uses a generic instead of your normal brand.

Sorry if thread got off track a little.
    O-
  • You are aware that all of these pills, both IR and LA have a generic and the LA now comes in 10, 20, 30, 40, 60, 80, 100, 160 mg. The IR also comes in 30 mg. I have taken it for almost a year and then went back to the 15mg IR. There are many companies out there producing generic oxycodone in both Long Acting and Immediate Release.
  • herrball you may not know this but only one company has legal rights to manufacture extended release oxycodone, and that is Purdue Pharma, with Oxycontin. This is due to patent infringement, and will stay this way until 2014 I believe.. I'm not feeling like finding the pdf on the FDA drug site but this is solid info. Some pharmacies or mail orders still have a little stockpile of the old generics left, but they are almost all gone. It's 'oxycontin' only for the ER stuff now. That's why the new one you mentioned is coming out, so another company can try to get some of the money in oxycodone.. Anyhow.. Thought it worth mentioning.
  • My street corner urban entrepreneur prefers to call it Hillbilly Heroin... 8}

What does your post have to do with the subject topic?
    Please try to stay within the discussions.
    Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrastor, 09/04/08
  • Some posts imply that there is a generic oxycontin, but then you say that only one company has rights to it until 2014. So is there a generic oxycontin out there or not? I am paying butt loads for the name brand and if there is generic - I would love to know. And if there is, do I call around to the pharmacies asking for it or if they have it they fill it generic right away?

Hope this made sense...my 4 year old was yanking on me the whole time I was trying to type!
  • The time limit was up years ago. Oxycodne in its Extended Release form is now being made by Impax (discontinued), Endo, Teva and also Watson along with Purdue Pharma. Please take a look at the site that I mention in several threads on this board, and you'll see the different companies producing the Extended Release Oxy. I'll put it up here again, its:

www.pharmer.org/imprints/narcotics#oxy

There are many narcotic pain meds and their pics at this site. Hydrocodone, Morphine, Oxycodone, and they break them down to with and without APAP.
  • There are at least 3 companies making generic OxyContin or Extended Release Oxycodone. Impax, I think this one was discontinued, Teva, Watson and Endo. Endo used to have the patent on Percocet many many years ago. So don't be fooled by labels, some are very misleading.
  • I promise, there are no more generics. I work in a pharmacy and dispense this stuff all day long. We only have 40 mg left at my particular pharmacy. There are still some floating around out there, so there will still be info up about them, pill ID, lot number, etc. But it is not being manufactured at all any more, and won't be until the litigation is settled. Some strengths of Oxycontin never were available in generics - 30mg and 15mg were too new for example.

Some place still have some left, that's why some people are still able to fill scripts for them.
  • there are no generics right now! Impax is discontinued, Oxycontin time release is name brand only!

I did notice that, as we know, only one company can make brand name Oxycontin. However, amongst all the discontinued brands such as Impax, Endo, Teva, Etc (yes they are discontinued) there is one which was approved for time release oxycodone as 10 20 40 and 80s, and it's MALLINCKRODT. It was approved at the end of July this year, july 24th. I believe it usually takes at least a few months for generics to make it to market, but this SEEMS that there may be a new one not to long from now. HERRBALL, disregard that pharmer.org site and check out this one, the FDA web site linked to the relevant oxy page HERE

It's much more reliable info, with documents and such attached. Check out the link on the last Mallinckrodt line near the bottom, and you will find details as to the strength, when it was approved, and linked PDF's etc.
  • There seems to be a bit of controversy here. I went to the site and looked up all of the Oxy meds and there seems to be a problem. Someone jumped the gun somewhere with the FDA. I have a close friend that has had over 22 knee surgeries and now has 2 titanium knee joints. They have given him nothing but problems and he has been on the 80 mg OC for over 10 years. For the last 2 years he has been taking the 80 mg generic version from Teva that only costs him $10.00 per script. He takes 3 per day and has been taking these things like I said for the last two years. So, somebody goofed in the FDA site, and there are GENERIC OC tablets out there. The only company I thought that discontinued the OC was Impax Laboratories. I guess Ethex stopped too. Now Ethex still makes the IR version in 5, 15, and 30 mg strengths.
  • I'm looking into it now. Thank you. I was wondering about the age of the site I had been relying on for the past few years. Thanks again, and good luck to you with your new PM Doc...
  • Teva and Endo had to stop making them, the 80mg pills as well. There are still small piles left here and there of generic, but they are running out. Maybe he uses a big company like drugstore.com or something, where they would probably have had a LOT more stockpiled, but the agreement was that they could sell the rest until it ran out, and then that's that. Hopefully your friend gets lucky and his source doesn't run out before a new generic hits the market, but for the bajillionth time there are NO NEW generic Oxycontin being manufactured. As a pharmacy employee said above also, no generics. Nobody goofed at the FDA. Small amounts of generic exist, no more is being made. End of story. (close post please!) lol
  • what is the drug idenfication number for Oxycontin ER (Extended Relief) 10,20,40,80 and at one time 160mg
    and does this mean the same as the rx# that is on your prescription bottle?
  • welcome to Spine Health, your doctor can answer questions like that for you. Careful on the street bike!
  • hi
    i live in the UK and i take 80mg of oxycontin 2x a day and 20mg of oxynorm 4x a day .with out it my back pain would be unbearable.i have had 2 majory operations and now i have been diagmosed with thoracic outlet syndrome too.as you can imagin my life is not much fun.
    STRAKER
  • Ron,

See Herrball's link with info. and pics. Best i have seen yet. Yes, HDL comes in strengths larger than5 mgs.

Gary
  • JWM - Whenever I have questions about prescriptions, I always come looking for you. :D

Where does ROXICODONE come in to play? Is that a name brand or generic? Or is Oxycodone the generic of Roxicodone?

Thanks for your input!

Jeaux :?
  • is NOT the med id # otherwise known as the NDC #. Usually there is an NDC# on the leaflet that you get with your RX. The RX # is just that. A number to identify the RX that was filled and can be referred to. These all very on pharmacy and RX. there is a website that helps alot on all different type of med questions and ID. It is drugs dot com. I dont know if that will be editted out or not but it is a great and wonderful site!
advertisement