Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upcoming L4-L5 Fusion Surgery end of Oct. Have questions.....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, My name is Brenda, I'm 50 years old. I have back pain which has gotten progressively worse over the last 5 to 6 years. Finally after 5 years of trying to find out exactly what is wrong and what to do about it, I have found a wonderful spine Dr. who I really believe can help me. My insurance had refused to pay for an MRI for the past 2 years although every visit to my regular Dr. I had complained about my back pain. Finally, after completing 3-1/2 weeks of PT, and a new set of regular x-rays, they approved the MRI! I went last week to review the MRI and thank god it showed the problem very clearly. The L4 vert. has slipped quite a bit onto the L5. The nerves are almost pinched off, looked exactly like an hourglass!

My question is, is feeling like you have to pee all the time a symptom of of the pinched nerve? and if so what can be done to ease the urgency before surgery since I have 2 months to wait?
advertisement

Comments

• Did you mention the urgency to urinate problem to your doc? If you ever lose control of bladder or bowels it is an emergency situation and you should go to ER immediately. I would definitely give the doc a call and tell him of your situation. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have been given some good advice about the problem and should pay close attention to this. these problems require immediate attention many times. good luck to you and i hope you have the best results from your surgery. you might check out the Back and Spinal surgery forum. there is a thread there for upcoming surgeries and you might want to add your name as well. take care! Jenny :)
  • Do call your doc. I do remember having the urgency or sensation to empty the bladder before I had a L5-S1 fusion. However mine was do to the medication that I was taking. But with you having pinched nerves this could be from that. So call your doc ASAP and let them know. Also until you can get into the doc I would do a daily journal as to what times you get the urgency, if in fact you did urinate, roughly how much urine ie. small amount, normal etc. And if there had been any "close calls" or accidents. That way you dont have to pull it from memory and have a time line set up.
    Good luck and keep us posted!! But PLEASE do pay attention to your body and call your doc.
    MJ