Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neurosurgeon Visit!

araineaaraine Posts: 152
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
Just wanted to review with you guys today. NS said he doesn't know what's causing my so called pain where I say it's at. He says I have the T11 disk herniation that is putting pressure on my spinal cord, but he is not worried about it. I don't know how you could not be worried about something that is putting pressure on your spinal cord. It seems like all these doctors still think (I have been researching) that thoracic disk herniations do not cause pain. Well I beg to differ, I am very much so in pain. He wants me to have injections and on a 12 week exercise program. I am all go for the exercise, but not so much the injections. I only can go so far. I had the injections before, and they lasted a week, and then the pain was worse afterwards. I don't want a temp fix. I know it works different for everyone and in different spots, but I just can't stand the needles in my pain, it hurts. Wouldn't the injections of temp pain be worth being in pain all of the time? Sure, but when the pain comes back, it comes with a vengeance. I was not happy with the visit. Yea, I am relieved that I don't need surgery, but it still baffles me how my injury would just go away. You know, I am in tears nearly every night from my pain. I can't bathe myself. I can't tie my dang shoes. I can't grocery shop because I can't walk long before my lower back starts to hurt. I am getting depressed and stressed, because now the NS doesn't know what's wrong with me, and I can't sit at work for more then 2 hours before I start crying and have to be sent home either from my back, or my progressing severe neck pain. I talked to my Congressman Cliff Stearns, he advised me to apply for disability, and had his social worker set me up for a date, September 15th.
advertisement

Comments

• Have you tried a second and even third opinion? I know that lots of docs do not want to deal with thoracic spine and I think that I heard somewhere that in order to do surgery on thoracic they would have to cut open your chest plate. Don't quote me on that but I do think that I heard that somewhere along the line. Have you seen a PM that might at least be able to help you with pain relief through meds? I am so sorry that you are dealing with all of this and hope that you find an answer and some relief soon. Please keep us posted.
  • :) Hi! i only put up with the injections for so long. they did not work for me. every year of so i tried again but not on a regular basis. i think the exercise program is a great idea. i do exercise and stretching every day to help control pain. there are a variety of conservative measures that can help you. i have bulging disc and bone spurs and alot of problems but surgery is not the answer for me either. :''( i was frustrated and upset about it but after several opinions i realized that is the way it is for me. maybe for you as well! Jenny :)
  • I agree. Get a second/third oppinion. What tests have you had done? Also keep in mind the injections also help diagnose (when they work they know that they have located a pain genorator).

Good luck,

Julie

• I have no insurance and deal with Florida No Fault laws, so I am responsible for my own medical bills. I just don't want a temporary fix with injections, and I KNOW where my pain is, just the doctor does not believe me. I paid over $400 to see a NS 2 times, and that killed me. My fiance had to sell his motorcycle so I could see him. We have nothing else to sell to even get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. I am just broken and back to where I started...
  • I can see why he's your fiance! That's awesome of him to do that for you.

I wish that I had an answer for you. The injections are to help reduce swelling, which a lot of times is all a person needs. If I get his thought process right, he wants to reduce the swelling to give you the chance to use the exercise program to strengthen your core muscles. For many people this works well.

If after the 12 weeks, you still hurt, then he has also used this as a diagnostic tool.

I know it stinks, but in your situation ...

"C"
  • Araine,

I really hope something can be worked out for you and that a 2nd opinion could be got for you. You know your body best, but sometimes its hard to distinguish where the pain really starts and where it has radiated too - I hope you know what I am trying to say :D

Wishing you all good things for a pain free time

Danni
  • All of you. The other biggest issue is, I have no money and am on the verge of bankruptcy, and I am so young. I wouldn't be able to afford the shots and program even if I wanted too.... :(
  • Are you anywhere near one? If one is within driving distance for you it would be well worth your time. They usually offer excellent care and charge according to your income. You have to tolerate students being there during any exam or procedure but it really could be the answer for you. Have you seen if you qualify for medicaid?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.