Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware

L-DoggLL-Dogg Posts: 101
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I realize this has been done before by Bruce and/or Dave..... but I wanted to do it also for fun.

I went in at 6:15AM today and was walking around at 11AM.....my wife picked me up at 1:30PM and we stopped at McDonald's on the way home. That was not really the best move as my sense of taste is really messed up after the anesthetic....everything tastes lousy and my throat hurts like a beeyotch from the aair tube that was in there......it feels like the pain of strep.

Here it is...I put a 1/4" guitar jack as an added size reference.

Anyway, we just ate a nice pasta dinner and I did dishes after since my wife cooked.

advertisement

Comments

• Mean hardware alright! What level did it come out of?
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• ....old Gypsyguitar here. L4/5. The rods are the PEEK one's.
  • Hey Gypsy...sorry, didn't recognise you - The guitar jack should have given it away! (reminds me I have a couple of leads to fix for my boys).

So those are what peek rods look like...
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Hey Gypsy,

Glad to see you're getting along. I keep mine on my desk at work as a reminder to sit right :))). Take it easy as best you can. It's hard cause you feel better. Be prepared if you have some minor setbacks in your recovery. You'll push through them in time.

Take Care.

Dave
  • Thats good advice Dave, I was starting to feel a little cocky about it....and I woke up feeling a bit more of the effects. Probably the good drugs wearing off LOL!!

Yeah, I plan to keep super vigilant for infection......check my temp regularly and all the other stuff. I have to keep the dressing dry for 2 weeks....he is adamant with this and will not allow anyone else other than himself to change it. It sucks 'cos I was going to get a super short haircut so I did not have to worry all that much about washing my hair but I never got to it.

Anyway, thanks again..good to hear from you guys.
  • Wow, impressive! Are those Peek rods really light weight?
  • They are all light weight.
  • crazy pics!! thanks for posting.
    glad ur doing well.
    and WOW they sent u home that quick? surprised they did not keep u for 24 hrs. weirdddd how they do some things now.
    of course i would of been crying like a baby so they probably would of kept me for 3 days :))(

keep up the recovery!!!! =D>
  • for posting the pics....that is really cool looking... 8)
  • i used to tape a plastic bag or saran wrap over the site with medical tape. duct tape hurt more!!!
    but hey it kept it dry if you do it right. :D
  • I told my dr right before my surgery that I wanted to keep my hardware that they were gonna take out, they told me they'd save it for me but they ended up throwing them away. Thought it would be cool to have actual proof to show people I didn't lose my screws!!! LOL!!!!
  • Is the measurement graph there in cms or inches? Just to give me a better perspective.

It is pretty impressive but please dont overdo it as Dave says. We have to remember that it is OK to not be brave and think we can do everything.

When I had my hip replacement taken out for a new one I asked to keep the hardware but they took it also and said it would be used for research as it lasted so long. (had it 30 years and they originally told me it would last 10) But blow them- we had been together for most of my life! No respect. LOL

Blessings Sara O:)
  • The scale is in inches....pretty big stuff huh?

I am back at work today......not so sure about that but I will give it a go and see....LOL!!!
  • Well I made it through the week at work okay. I take 1/2 a Percocet a couple times a day to help me through. Friday I took the rotors and transmission, tail rotors and ailerons out of a Huey chopper we were using for our TV show and Saturday I was back on top of it putting it all back. It has been a busy darned week with a couple 13.5 hour days tons of rigging, my first day back I was up high in a lift rigging stuff in the roof of an aircraft hangar..... so I guess you could say the surgery has not slowed me down much.. I am just watching the heavy lifting and twisting and bending.....but my steri strips fell off after two days so it is all bare back there.

I use the kitchen sink faucet to wash my hair as it is tall. I have been staying fresh and clean with a washcloth MAN......I cant wait to take a shower and get back in the ocean on my surfboard...DANG!!!

I still have some issues in my feet.....but it seems to have got a bit worse so I assume it is just the shock to the area again....perhaps a nerve touched during the removal who knows......I feel better overall, the back pain has got better I think ....overall it seems an improvement but I know it is too soon to tell.

I will report back in a week or so.
advertisement