Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nothing is Working, what should I do? Any help appreciated!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
I am at my wit's end. I am no longer receiving any pain relief from my pain meds. I am taking 20mg oxycodone 2-3 times a day! :& I am on a pain contract, I want to talk to my Dr about maybe switching to something else, but what? I have tried Oxycontin with no relief. And for 50 pills w/o insurace, its 181 bucks! I also dont want to look like a drug seeker, but I dont know what else to do. I recently saw her a couple weeks ago, and she raised my dose from 10mg to 20mg, you would think I would be gaining some relief. ~X( I have an appt. with a pain mgmt Dr on Sept. 18, talk about getting a nerve ablation, and possible injections. What should I do? I value any of your opinions and thank you for responding! :H
advertisement

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi mom,
    oxy. didn't work well for me either. maybe you might inquire about methadone, it's long acting and dirt cheap.
    You may also want to find out for sure, but I think it works on different receptors
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • :) yes, perhaps a long time released medication might work better for you! you would not have the ups and down of pain control you should have now. it can be very frightening and disappointing when our meds stop working. good luck and never give up! seeing a pm is a good idea and the new treatments may be just what you need. Jenny :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    Hi MominPain08,
    Its hard for anyone here to identify without knowing more than what your signature line states. Are there any specific discs that required more advance treatments (ie surgery)?
    Where is your pain? Does it travel down you leg? Is it more centralized?
    Have you been seeing the doctor who wrote the scripts for you recently? Have you told them that your current medication set is not addressing your pain problem?
    There are so many different medications out there, each one designed to address a specific set of problems
    (Pain from disc , sciatic, Nerve pain, Muscle spasms, etc)
    Thats why I find it very difficult to even suggest which medication is your next step. So many times, patients are receiving pain meds such as the Oxycondone family but their problems are more Nerve related. In those situations, medications such as Lyrica and Neurontin would be better.
    So, understanding what is the root cause of your pain will help determine which medication you should be taking
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • have facet arthropathy an ditto to what Jim said. I am on methadone which works pretty well and is dirt cheap. I pay $1.98 for a 1 month supply with insurance but I am sure that it would be under $10.00 without insurance. it will be well worth a try in my opinion.
  • There are so many BAD stories out there about methadone, but I was told by my doctor that it isn't bad like they are making it out to be when prescribed right and the directions are followed by the patient. I took methadone for two or three years and had no problems with it. I am not taking it any more because the PM doctor I was referred to doesn't like to prescribe it. Now I take Kadian for back pain and Neurontin for nerve pain and they work very well for me.
    Good luck finding the RIGHT medication for you!
  • for me where I live. I dont know why, but I know that fusions are possible with what I have. It showed on my last MRI that I had facet disease, and a minor disc bulge. That was 2 years ago. /:) When i went and saw the spine surgeon here, he said that it showed I had a narrowing of the spine, but with cognitive therapy, I should be ok, and that surgery wasnt needed. Sometimes I wish these drs could be in the pain we are in for 5 minutes, and then see what they would have to offer us! X( Today, Im in so much pain, I am contemplating going to the ER, but when I go up there, they sometimes treat me like a drug seeker which makes me feel like crap. I was looking forward to my appt on the 18th with this new pain dr, until I found out that he gets his referrals and recommendations from the same dr that said to just do cognitive therapy. :SS I just dont know what to do anymore....
  • I googled it and it said it was mainly used for withdrawal of narcotics, and also for pain management. Im confused. Is methadone a narcotic? Is it long acting or are break through meds needed?
  • What is cognitive therapy?
  • What is cognitive therapy?
  • I've heard of behavioral modification where they teach you to refocus, distract, breath deep, etc. Why would they tell you to do that if you have the diagnosis of Facet Osteoarthropathy? You can't think it away; it's real. But positive thinking, being proactive, and staying calm in a relaxed environment can be helpful. When you're upset, symptoms tend to magnify. Your brain creates a natural painkiller. That's why antidepressants are prescribed to help with the pain. If your mood is better, your symptoms may improve.
  • I would try the morphine sulfate. It works for me and it does noy make me dizzy or stupid. It just makes me feel comfortable with about 30 percent of the pain still there

Hope that helps
  • it was more nerve related, she could probably help control my pain a bit more. I have severe arthritis in my facet joints. I have had numerous injections and nerve ablations with no success. :( The thing that upsets me is that there are many people here who have what I do and have had procedures done that Drs dont either do here or wont offer because of my age. Do you know of any surgical procedures available for facet joints?
advertisement