Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ok, had a 2 level fusion,now what to do with the 2 other disks?

sagehenssagehen Posts: 221
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had an ALIF 2 level (L3-4, L4-5) but I still have L1-2, L2-3 with tears and bone spurs,hip pain from bursitis?, causing miserable pain....what ,if anything can be done about tears? Anybody have any info regarding this? Originally, my surgeon said that a 3 or 4 level fusion wasn't an option. (not that I would want one)He said I'm too old for disk replacement (I'm 49) He didn't mention any other treatment. I see him in September...(I wasn't scheduled to see him til January!) but am hurting too bad to wait. I want him to get some kind of pain management going( if there's nothing else I can do) as I want to go back to work this fall/winter. Need the moolah!
Thanks everyone
Sagehen
advertisement

Comments

• I just had a 2 level fusion July 9th. same ones as you. my theory was if I was still in pain a year later, I would request one of those spine stimulators they put into your back. I was a candidate for it if I chose to not have this surgery. (cuz I'd tried everything else). it's like a TENS unit only it's under your skin and the wires go straight into your spine to interrupt the pain signal. surely someone else can explain this better.
    I can't even remember the proper name. it sounds like you'd be a perfect candidate for it.
  • to old?? that doesn't sound right your only 49. ur still a young one!! ;)
    im surprised they did not at least get the bone spurs out.
    im not to familiar with what they do with the tears. i have read some tears heal by themself.

i do feel your pain though. bursitis is pretty painful ,i have it also.
    i also did not fuse and i did not know it caused so much pain since im at least screwed togther (no pun intended) but it does!!!!!

so mabye a second opinion from another dr?? and even a pain management dr. just so you don't have to suffer. i know alot of people do want to be on long term meds. but mabye a option for ya.
    also pain managment may have some other alternative treatments they can do.

i know we all think... we had a huge surgery we should feel great but that always is not the case.

i wish the best of luck to you!!! let us know how you make out >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

wish i had more that i could offer. all i can do is hope for the best for you!!! i sure hope you get relief soon.
    no one should have to suffer in severe pain all the time.
  • If it is only tears (didn't mean ONLY as that is bad enough) but tears can heal themselves. Now assuming that you are going to be doing the right thing and no BLT and building your core stability muscles, then hopefully (and maybe a lot of prayers) the other two discs may heal themselves.

Just make sure to do everything correctly.

oh I just re-read your post and I'm sorry but I dont know what can be done about spurs.

Sara
  • They say people tend to be like their pets, I used to have a sleek,shiny,agile, beautiful afghan hound,then I had an overweight husky/german shepard and a blind collie.....now I have a snotty little jack russel and an insecure golden retriever....hmmm
    I will deal with it all like I always have , head down and plow through...... thanks for all your thoughts and input,
    I appreciate it more than you know
    Sagehen
advertisement