Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

CT Scan

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,

I'm curious...

I just had a CT scan done, I have the pictures but not the official report...

I had a PLIF done 6 mths ago

You can see one of the cages has migrated into the spinal canal. Is this serious or will they leave it?

Also, one of the pedicle screws has missed the vertebrae and is poking out the side of the bone.

Do you think this is causing my continued problems?

Thanks in advance.
advertisement

Comments

• If you do not have the report-how do you know for certain what it reads? Those things can be hard to read by just looking at them-unless you are trained in that area. If that is in fact what it really reads-I am sure they will let you know if they feel it is serious.
  • No you can really see the cage - very clever but not in the disc space at all
  • When is your appt with your NS to review the films? You area going to ruin your weekend with this. If you know someone who can read the films (chiro) ask if you can bring them in and looked at off the record. I know that if you are like me you have had so many of these done you can read them. If your not that close with one you'll have to wait till your appt, but please try to have a good week-end. Keep us posted. ;)
  • Hope you are wrong. If you are right, that is very unfortunate. Is your next appt soon? If not I would go into the radiology place and request a report. They have to give it to you as it is your records. At least this way you can see if your interpretation is correct while you wait for appt. I know I tried to read my flex/ext xrays myself and got those all wrong, and was quite a shock when NS told me my spine was unstable. What did your last xrays show? Was everything ok then? Also they normally check pedicle screw placement in the OR before they close you up, so seems odd it could have totally missed the pedicle. Keep a positive thought and hope you are reading them incorrectly. I know I have decided when I get my 8 week xrays which I have to bring to my NS appt, I am not gonna look at them ahead, cause I don't want to get myself freaked out :? Sue
  • Also keep in mind if you take the same image study to 5 different radiologists, you'll get 5 different interpretations.
    However, from what you typed, it sounds quite serious.
    Pursue it. Best wishes and let us know what you find out.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008

• I'd so like to think I am wrong but I can even see, so clearly that the cage is a Bak or LT brand. That is how clear it is!

Good idea - I will go to th edept and get a copy of the report.

• yeah just be careful when looking at them.
    especially spinal surgery everything can look messed up on the films, and alot of times be what they r supposed to looke like.
    mine look like the screws are going all over but all is fine with them.

another thing my report said solid bone fusion on the left.
    when i went to the drs and he looked at the CT scan there was none. so sometimes you cannot leave it up to the tech reading the report to.

so i would wait to see what your dr says about it.
    having the report is good. but still its alot medical terms that most do not understand or mis--interpurt.

are you having any pain associated with all of this??

let us know how u make out >:D< >:D<
  • anything poking into your spinal canal would be dangerous. I'm sure if someting was that wrong they would have called you into the office right away.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • I agree with Christina. If it was the case I am sure the radiologists would have contacted your specalist straight away.
    When I worked in pathology, if anything was really off we contacted the Dr even if they weren't happy about it (and a lot weren't!).

Sara- try to take it easy.

P.S. One of my pedicule screws also is not completely through the vertebrae but slightly off side of it. (sort of half and haf) The O/S say that is no problem.
  • Yes I was right. :?

Scheduled back in for more surgery. God willing this does the trick.

At least I am not going mad. You do doubt yourself at times, day in 24/7 constant pain. Still, I have another rainbow.... :)))
  • Sorry Itsa you were right, but hopefully surgery will help sort you out once and for all.

I wish you as pain free day as you can have

Love Danni xox
  • Sounds like it is going to be an even longer walk.
    What a blow, but at least as you said there is a rainbow at the end and you will be feeling better pretty soon.

Blessings Sara
advertisement