Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-C6 discectomy cadavar bone used, now bone is fractured

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, I am looking to see if anyone has had this happen....I had cervical 5-6 surgery done 12/04/2008, I had autograft using cadavar bone, My Dr said the first 4 months healing was looking good then at about 6 months out from surgery I started having the arm pain and neck pain and spasams again, at 7 months I had a new cat scan, and Dr said the cadavar bone was fractured and I have to have surgery again....the first surgery was done posterior (front of neck) the new surgety will be done anterior (back of neck), I am little scared because I have heard going through the back of the neck is a very painful recovery. Any information will be greatly appericated.
Thanks Tammy 8>
advertisement

Comments

• So sorry to hear of you fracture. Do you recall doing anything that may have caused it to fracture? What does your dr. think happened. You have those backwards - anterior=front, posterior=back. Yes, I have heard that the posterior approach is more difficult due to the fact that they must cut through muscle. I will have ACDF in September. Sorry you have to go through the whole process again. Let us know how you are doing.
  • Thanks for the quick reply, and for the correction on front from back, and no I cant think of any kind of trama to have made the graft fracture, my Dr said he has done thousands of this surgery and he has never had one fracture, I go back for my second surgery in 11 days....Sept. 09, and I am a little scared, I have zero pain tolerance, so I know this is gonna suck, thanks again for the reply and the good wishes.
  • Sorry about the fracture of the cadaver bone. I have had two posterior surgeries and they are a bit more painful compared to the anterior. However usually on a redo the posterior surgery is the gold standard. What type of bone will your surgeon be using on the second surgery> I would make sure that you have some good muscle relaxers for after the surgery. The pain meds where fine but the spasms from the muscle were really bad. Make sure you have a plan with the surgeon if the pain is to much what they will do before you do the surgery. Good luck and keep us posted.