Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycontin and Paxil

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
Has anyone taken Paxil and Oxycontin?

It's been a while since I last posted. I had an ACDF in May and in PT now for some pain and muscle tension between shoulder blades. I'm making slow progress and the Dr. tells me I need to wait a year to fully evaluate the results.

I've been on several pain meds and muscle relaxers. Presently, Robaxin, Arthrotec, Lortab 5/500 (about 2-3 a day as needed).
I tried Kadian 20 mg for about a month but it seemed to worsen a feeling of depression. Mr Dr. just switched me to Oxycontin ER 10 mg twice a day. It doesn't seem to give me the depressed feelings like Kadian, but the long term pain is still taking a toll on my emotions.

My question:
I took paxil years ago for mild OCD and it worked. I tried it about 6 mos. ago while taking Tramadol and experienced what appeared to be Seratonin Syndrome (even the Dr. and Pharm. didn't know about the syndrome).

I'd like to start the Paxil again, but won't without seeing the Dr. Has anyone here taken Paxil or another SSRI with a low dose of Oxycontin? I'm a little scared to try it again, but was pleased with Paxil's effectiveness in the past.

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• I've been on Oxycontin for about 7 years now and my body is well adjusted to it. About a year ago my PM had me try Paxil, we were trying different anti-deprssants, etc. to see what would work. The Paxil never did anything for me so I switched to something else. I am now on Lexapro and it is working very well for me. It's not only OK to use both of the drugs together, but is the usual standard. If you're doctor is on board with this and not worried, then I would try it if I were you.
    Good luck!
    Jewels
  • and i built up a tolerance to it or my pain got worse "probably both" after a year and a half i got some relief from facet injections so i decided to get off the oxy's and try life oxy free, well im not the brightest so i stopped cold turkey,i had such bad withdrawls! :& :( ~X(
    10 days of cold sweats, deppression ,vomiting,diahreah cha cha cha. felt really distant and withdrwn from family friends etc.
    dont mean to post a horror story but if you can survive on fast acting pain meds, i really truly would stick to those, i know theres peaple on here that absolutely need er realesed medication such as oxycontin, ms contin,hydromorphone etc, but my god getting off them is sooo much harder getting on them!