Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

worried

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello well i am a little worried about what has been going on with my hubby since surgery. he had l5/s1 plif on 8-15 surgery went well recovery has been a nightmare. went home day after surgery (bad idead, but hubby impatient) drove 4 hrs to get home and the weekend was a nightmare. a week later he was running low on meds called and it took 2 days to get them refilled needless to say it ran out b4 they were filled. got the rx and it was the wrong one called back and they got that fixed finally. yesterday and today he woke up with severe headaches and today with severe vomiting. the incision site seems to be healing well its a little raised up but i guess that is normal and its always warm to touch. was told by er to watch him for fever and chills. this has not been good at all, he still has numbness in his feet and cannot stand for long without his legs going into spasms. but maybe that because his nerve was pinched for 5 months because wc sucks! i just wanted to vent a little. hopefully its nothing serious but only time will tell. the drs and hospitals hate me because i question everything lol she told me to have him take ibuprophen and i thought u were not suppose to take it until like 6 months after surgery and she said well he can take it today just not all the time. thanks for listening!
advertisement

Comments

• Make sure you keep checking his temp. Blood pressure is another indicator of something going on.

My husband was released a week ago with septicemia, so I know that anything can happen!! I don't mean to alarm you, but make sure they take a CT of the surgical area if his temp goes up. Something could be lurking there---underneath the skin.

Linda MI
  • S

What kind of headache does he have? Is it worse when he sits up or tries to stand up. Does it reside when he lies down? Did the vomiting start once he got a refill on pain meds?

Don't hesitate to take him to the ER if things don't get better real soon!

"C"
  • The docs and nurses are human too and prone to make mistakes. I know from a life and death experience that you must have someone watching their backs when in hospital Don't worry if they get offended, they will get over it! the vomiting may have been a little withdraw from the meds. Keep a close eye on him and he will do fine.
  • first im am very surprised they even let him go home that early. :O :O :O
    there were no and's if or but's about going home early when i had mine.
    i had a cath in for almost 3 days. they took it out on the 3rd and i finally got out of bed for the first time w/ PT. they made sure i could handle oral meds, eat. and walk back and forth to my room plus sitting up in a chair.
    just goes to show how things are so different for everyone. drs, hospitals etc...

my thoughts go out to the both of you.
    and yes a ambulance is only a call away if he still does not feel right.
    this is big surgery and a long recovery for some.

let us know how he makes out. i will hope for the best that he starts feeling better!!

take care
    terri >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • If things don,t improve soon, you need to get him back in to see a doctor. The headache makes me concerned about a spinal fluid leak. Does the headache improve when he lies flat and get worse when he sits up? If so could be a spinal headahe. Call your MD! Good luck, Sue
advertisement