Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

T3 Rib out and Spasms

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
My chiro said my T3 rib is out and causing my middle spine to hurt b/w the shoulder blades b/c it is in spasm.

Anybody else have problems T3?

If so, do you have pain b/w the shoulder blades and chest pressure b/c of it?
advertisement

Comments

• My physio recently found very tender spots at T3 and T5 and in the last 6 weeks or so I have had a feeling as though I have been punched in the back - as if I am winded or have bruised ribs. As the day progresses it seems as though the pain creeps round to my chest and tightens.

I've recently had some stabbing pains between the shoulder blades aswell ......... does this sound like your pain?

I've also been having pricking feelings and numbness in my right arm/hand/fingers. I had nerve conduction tests which ruled out any trapped nerves in my arm. The doctor who did the tests suggested that if not a problem in the arm then it is likely to be from below my recent surgery site (c5-6 and 6-7).

Oh no, I've just realised I am seriously in danger of hijacking your thread - I don't want to do that but I just wanted to share my experience with you, to maybe compare notes.

I see my NS on Wednesday - I'll keep you posted.

I know what you mean by that chest pressure, it's very unpleasant. What plans do they have for you dg?

Sandra
  • My back pain is much like yours Doof. Had an mri and it only showed some mild bulging at t4/6 t5/6 but the pain you described or both of you described is much like mine.

Now am I hijacking this thread? Whoops.

I'm supposed to start physical therapy and I really don't think it is going to do any good.
  • Have either of you had any symptons in your arms/hands/fingers?

Sandra
  • I have had a stabbing pain feeling in my mid spine. After we came back from a camping trip and slept crummy and was cold for the last few days of it, it all started up. Even when I took a deep breath, it hurt from the midchest right to my middle spine b/w the shoulder blades.

My NP and Chiro said the nerves were irritated and in spasm.

I hate having the pressure in my chest, seems to worsen throughout the day. Almost feels like my esophogus is swollen. I hate it!!

Sometimes when I wake up at night, my arm is numb b/c it falls asleep.

Thank God for my chiropractor.
  • Yes I am having trouble with my right hand although I have noticed my left hand seems to be giving me trouble now.

It's like I have lost my fine motor skills. It is sometimes hard to get a firm grip on things and sometimes my handwriting sucks because I don't have the control of my hand.

My right foot feels the same way. Sometimes its hard to push the pedal when I am driving, I have to mentally think about pressing down.
  • Good grief!!

At last ...... sorry to hear you are both suffering but at long last I think I may have found someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about.

DG, I get that horrible feeling of pressure building up into the chest as the day goes on.

Suziee, I've also been having problems with writing, it's quite painful to hold a pen at times and I'm always dropping stuff like keys. Sometimes it's as if my hands don't actually belong to me, like theres a delay in the message going from the brain to them. I had nerve conduction tests last week which ruled out carpal tunnel etc, I see my NS on Wednesday so will update you both then.

It's all looking like T spine isn't it :S

What are your chiros doing for you both and is it helping?

Sandra
  • Yes it is nice to hear from someone who shares some of the same symptons.

I have not gone to a Chrio, I am seeing a D.O and he does not want me seeing a chrio and I'm okay with that.

For the first few months I went to my D.O. and he manipulated my back, did ultrsound therapy, traction, and massage therapy and hydrocodone for the pain.

I had an mri a month or so ago and was really hoping we would find the "smoking gun" but we didn't. I have 2 mild disc bulges at t4/5 and t6/7. My Dr. doesn't think this should be causing my pain.

He has taken me off of the pain meds, said that I had been on them long enough (8 months). I was only allowed up to 2 500/5 a day and after a while they were not helping with the pain and he wouldn't up the dosage so it was useless.

I start physical therapy this next week. I honestly don't think it will help, but I will give it a go.

Does your leg tingle as well? My hand doesn't really hurt but I liked your discription that it feels like it doesn't belong to me. The pain is creeping down my side to my butt and leg where as before it was just my upper back.

I am so freakin frustrated I could just scream. (|: ~X(
  • Yes it is nice to hear from someone who shares some of the same symptons.

I have not gone to a Chrio, I am seeing a D.O and he does not want me seeing a chrio and I'm okay with that.

For the first few months I went to my D.O. and he manipulated my back, did ultrsound therapy, traction, and massage therapy and hydrocodone for the pain.

I had an mri a month or so ago and was really hoping we would find the "smoking gun" but we didn't. I have 2 mild disc bulges at t4/5 and t6/7. My Dr. doesn't think this should be causing my pain.

He has taken me off of the pain meds, said that I had been on them long enough (8 months). I was only allowed up to 2 500/5 a day and after a while they were not helping with the pain and he wouldn't up the dosage so it was useless.

I start physical therapy this next week. I honestly don't think it will help, but I will give it a go.

Does your leg tingle as well? My hand doesn't really hurt but I liked your discription that it feels like it doesn't belong to me. The pain is creeping down my side to my butt and leg where as before it was just my upper back.

I am so freakin frustrated I could just scream. (|: ~X(
  • Double post. How did that happen?
  • Anybody ever have the feeling like there is a ball in between the shoulder blades, but more on the right side?

It's the strangest feeling.
  • No can't say I've had that feeling before.

Does it ever feel like you have bugs crawling under the skin on your back? Now that's a weird feeling. I also sometimes feel like there is water trickling down my leg. I have had to check to see if I was leaking or something. :jawdrop:
  • I can relate to the hips/butt hurting. The NS seems to think that it is the way I am carrying myself due to the pain. I did not think that I was walking any different. /:) The chest pressure is scary. The more I seem to do in one day the worse the pressure feels. There are some days when it feels like little people are standing on my sternum. I can forget about taking a deep breath. I can hold a pen without pain, but if I am sitting and writing, the hand gets tingly. Good luck at the NS.
  • I haven't had that 'ball' feeling either dg, however, the water trickling does sound familiar but in my hand not my leg.

It feels almost as though I have a mini air conditioning unit blowing across the hand, giving that horrible chill/wet feeling. I haven't had the tingling in my back, just in the hands and fingers, with pricking down the arms.

Apart from that and the crushing/winded feeling everything is just fine ......... :)

I'll let you know what the NS says tomorrow, oh and Suziee what is a D.O?

Sandra
  • They are an M.D. but do further training in muscles and bone
    and how they effect our pain. They are not a chrio in any sense of the word.

If you go to the top of the page and where it says, "Find a Doctor" and click on that and to the left of the page it explains what different doctors are.

I am is such freaking pain today I could scream. It's like my husband and my doctor don't believe me. I don't know how I am going to do P/T when I feel like this. ~X( Just venting again.
  • I often feel like I have a tennis ball lodged just below my shoulder blades, but on the left. Just a sensation. I also sometimes feel like I have bugs crawling up inside my back, under the skin. Sort of shivers, that put my whole back on edge.
  • I saw my NS today - nothing to report really, he thinks the issues with my arm/hand could be due to scar tissue from the cervical ADR and he muttered something about muscular skeletal problems that women are prone to for the T pain!!

Anyway, he has suggested an mri for C and T spine and I see him for the results the same day. Work have agreed to pay for me to go privately so I should get it done fairly quickly.

I'm so hacked off with all this spiney stuff. If the mri shows something then I will grit my teeth and get it dealt with. I haven't come this far to just walk away and live with pain. If it doesn't show anything then so be it, I'll put it down to experience and try to get on with life ...... oh but if only it were that easy :<

• I think its worse when you get your mri back and there is nothing there that should be causing pain. That's how mine came back so not its like shooting in the dark. It's extremely frustrating. At least if they find something you know what your dealing with and with some luck it can be corrected.

Today I got a wild hair and had some acupuncture done. He was a very nice man, who is also a M.D., that's why I picked him. Anyway when it was over I stood up and didn't feel any pain, but alas it did not last more than 1 hour. I have another appt. Friday. I heard that after the treatment it can be a couple of days before you feel the effects. I am hoping thats the case. Any of you had accupuncture?
  • I had acupuncture about 10 years ago, when I first started to get back pain. It did seem to help but if I remember correctly it was fairly short term.

• Well my mid back pain got so bad and I had pressure in my chest. Went to the hospital and the doctor thinks I have an ulcer. He said stomache problems can refer pain to the middle back.

I also have a hiatel hernia I think is up. Going to go to the chiro to push it back down and hopefully I will have relief.
  • So was your stomach bothering you? Why does he suspect an ulcer?

Day 2 of acupuncture and still don't feel any relief. I always thought if you were having back pain they would put the needles in your back. He put them in my ear lobes, forehead, wrists, ankles and today in the base of my skull. Is that where they usually put them?
  • The pain first started in my back and then after a few days my stomache started hurting. Digestion slowed down and had pressure in my esohpogus, which can be caused by my hiatel hernia pushing up. It's lovely....not!

But remember, T3 -to T6 have nerves that run to the heart, stomache, esophogus. If they become irritated it is not uncommon to start having stomache issues.
  • Hmmm. I don't have any stomach issues. At least you now know what's going on and can get it treated..

Good luck to you..

Suziee
advertisement