Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exercise before fusion questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled for a level 2 fusion on September 25th on L4/5 and L5/1. I know they say that the more you're in shape before surgery, the better the recovery??
Well I want to exercise, but I really can't do too much without the consequences later on. If I walk, Im finedoing the walk, but later on I won't be able to stand or walk, let alone bend. Is this a good idea to walk and exercise or should I just take it easy and go with the flow after the surgery?

Thanks!
Kim
advertisement

Comments

• I recommend you go to a heated pool, do you have a local YMCA? You can water walk, stretch, do squats, leg lifts, and bicycle, etc. Always make sure it is okay with your doctor first. Cold pools don't work. Good luck, Sue
  • :) hi! you need to talk to your doctor before you start exercising. :-C if you are overweight it is always a good idea to take off what extra pounds you can but this can be done without exercise. have a heart to heart with your doctor and discuss these concerns with him. the pool is so much better for an injury than anything else. this might be his suggestion as well.! Jenny :)
  • i agree with the others if you can get to a heated pool.
    if walking is causing you more pain, in my opinion i just would let that one go for now.
    u will be doing plenty post op.
    always of course ask your dr before hand.

iv seen people healthy & buff as can be have a tuff time with recovery of anything. or not be in shape at all and do fine.
    iv seen it both ways.
    even as far as a 25 yr old to a 90 yr old everyone reacts different.

so its going to depend i think in the end how your body responds to the surgery itself and how your recovery goes hun.

hang in there this will be over before you know it!!!
    we are all in this together!!!

HUGS
    terri >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Kim , you have already been given some great advice and I really can't add to it other than to say what the others have said....check with your doctor before you do anything. The best of luck to you and please let us know how you are doing.....Miki
  • Do the warm pool. I was doing Aquatic physical therapy for a couple months at the local YMCA.... Working with a physical therapist... It was great. It never made it feel worse... And I could feel the strength in my back after just a couple weeks... It's the best treatment I've had for my back or leg to date. You could ask your doctor about it... My Neurosurgeon is the one who referred me to the place and gave me all the info.
  • I did the heated pool and also to the gym. At the gym I mainly used the walking machine (so I could hold on) and did 10 mins at a time at my own speed had a rest then did some more. That way I didn't pay for it later.
    ALso tried to do the gym before the pool, that way I got a reward and the warm water was good for my muscles.

All the best.
    Sara
  • Thanks all of you who just offered me the great advice of the warm pool! I know that will be awesome! I just have to find the places around here that have one!
    Im not overweight, just wanted to do what others have done to get in shape before the surgery for a better recovery, but you are all right! It depends on the person and that's just that.

Thanks again!
    Kim
advertisement