Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
I have a herniated disc L4-5. And am scheduled for a laminectomy and diectomy next week. I have had back pain for many years. The last few years my right QL spasms and causes me to become crooked. This year was the first to have sciatica pain. It has lasted for about 9 weeks and I have tried PT, chiropractic, yoga. The last few days have been good ones which now causes me to 2nd quess my desision for surgery.
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health....Read some of the posts in the back surgury section...
  • isn't that always the way it goes? I also felt pretty good before my surgery and second guessed myself. I had a radical discectomy at L3/L4 that was failed back in Dec 07. However I have seen lots of success stories here and I feel sure that one of them will come along and offer encouragement.Are you sure that you have tried all conservative measures first? Have you tried facet blocks or rhizotomy, epidural etc? That would be my only suggestion is to make sure that you have exhausted all options. If I knew then what I know now, I would have stayed with the yearly rhizotomy that I was getting. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I have not heard of Rhizotomy or facet blocks. Now that I feel better, I can do some research. I just felt so lousy before, I could only think about getting rid of the pain.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. yes, pain will come and go. unfortunately for most of it just always comes back. ~X( have you tried any nerve pain medications for your sciatica? i have it really bad in my left leg and have been on Lyrica now for several months and there is a marked improvement. walking, swimming and others exercises take time to work but i use them effectively for pain control now. =D> i have no surgical options for my pain. ~X( have you had a second opinion? or even a third? the more confirmation you have of your condition and recommended treatment the better. your doctors' will know best. good luck and perhaps you are right to have some feeling about putting off your procedure for awhile. once the knife is used you can never go back! :? Jenny :)
  • :) hi! the forum can offer you all kinds of information. at the top is a section called "Treatments" and "Conditions." there are also numerous sites on the forum that will explain the procedures you are interested in as well. good luck and please keep us informed as you progress. Jenny :)
  • Hi Gardener, welcome to Spine Health. Oh how I hate the second guessing feeling! I almost second guessed myself out of my spinal cord stimulator!!! If I had done that, I would have been hosed for certain. If it weren't for my hubby and a dear friend of mine telling me what a difference the trial made for me ...

Anyway, jumping into your first back surgery is s big deciscion. There's no turning back once the doc cracks open your back!

Has your doc discussed any other options with you?

Best wishes,

"C"
  • So true, once they cut on you, there is no turning back. I am a nurse and believe me, I made sure that everything but accupuncture was tried first before I had my first surgery. I had TLIF L4 fusion in April of 07 which failed and now am getting ready for round 2- I have adjacent segment disorder. For those that don't know what that is; its; when you have had a fusion and the disc above and below have also bulged or slipped. So, now I am looking at having those fused.

So,please exhaust all avenues before surgery. I would hate to see you getting surgery when a facet injection or medial block could have treated your pain. I will put you in my prayers that your pain maybe eased. Good Luck
  • gardener- welcome to site. There is alot of information that may help you decide about surgery and other treatment options. The back pain and sciatica can make you try just about anything.
    Maybe you can re-teace your steps and see what made the sciatica better...take care.. :) jade
advertisement