Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Here comes another pain the neck!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
I deal with my pain through humor so I hope I made someone smile! :)

MVA July 96 fractured C5, with tearing/stretching of ligaments around spinal column, brain injury....wore halo and then hard collar until my fusion in March 97 (Posterior cervical fusion C4-6 with 2 titanium plates, 6 screws). I had migraines before MVA but I had them worse afterwards with numbness on the top of both shoulders. Migraines got better for a few years as did the numbness but I've always had the constant neck pain.

About a year ago, migraines got bad again (have 15-20 headaches/month, est. 10 are migraines) and the numbness is now constantly the left arm-top of my shoulder, tricep area, top of the forearm and entire hand/wrist. Went to neurologist July 08 b/c of headaches, he sent me for a brain and neck MRI. Brain MRI is fine, whew! Neck MRI shows minimal disk disease at C6-7 and at C-4 the left sided screw is displaced within the soft tissues. My neck MRI also shows multiple laminectomies from C4-6. I know what the lamina are on a vertebrae but no clue what this means lol someone help!

I found out MRI results on 8-4-08 and immediately gave my films to the Mayfield Clinic, who did my original fusion. I see a neurosurgeon on Sept 9th and I'm very nervous. I know the whole point of my fusion was because the ligaments were either torn or stretched and those don't grow back so I have no clue what he's going to tell me. Will I need another surgery to correct the hardware issue? What can we do about the pain, numbness in my left arm? I swear sometimes I feel like I won't be able to let go of the pen or I can't hold it b/c of weakness-yea I'm left handed! :)

Really glad I found this site, I would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Stay blessed,
Emily
advertisement

Comments

• I am so glad that you found us because the members here are great and supportive! I have no answers for you but I did want to welcome you to the forum. I feel sure that somebody that will have more info than I will be along shortly.
    BTW- I am also a real painin the back! :))(
  • Hi Emily,welcome to S-H.

I feel your pain,but unfortunately I have no answers.

I can say that I sympathize with you and the migraine issue because I've been dealing with those ever since 91 when I had spinal menengitis.I have had many operations,but not on my spine,not yet and not ever if I can help it... [(

I do have the numbness constantly in the left arm,top of my shoulder,tricep area,bicep,but with a lot of pain in my shoulder and shoulder blade that comes at no time in particular-it was constant when it started the beg. of July.

Too bad it's in your writing hand,that can't be fun.I haven't been here on the forum very long and I cannot tell you how many times I've read of these symptoms...and still I have yet to find a good answer for it.

As far as your other concerns,there are so many informative people here that you are sure to get some more helpful replies than mine,but I wanted to say welcome.I hope you find the answers you need... :H

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are in such pain. facing a surgery is a very frightening ordeal and getting all the information you can only help make it better. good luck and please keep us posted as you progress. Jenny :)
  • Hi Emily-
    Are you going to the Mayfield Clinic in Ohio? I have heard GREAT things about them. I am considering going there - it is five hours from my house. :P
  • Painintheback, Robin and Lulusheart-Thank you for your kind and supportive words, pain sucks but I'm just thankful to be alive. I know if I have questions I will definately ask!

And crankygirl I am going to the Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati-I am fortunate enough to live there. My family and I had fantastic experiences with them in 96-98 and when my NS left to teach he told me I could see anybody and they would help me. This will be my 1st experience with them in 10 yrs but I expect nothing but the best-my appt. is on the 9th. I will let you know what happens! My personal opinion? Make the trip!

Have you been to their website? http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/

They should pay me for advertising lol

advertisement