Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

UK

doofddoof Posts: 131
Don't shoot me down in flames but in the very olden days (about 3 spine health sites ago), we used to have a section for Brits.

I found it very helpful to go in there and share the frustrations etc that are peculiar to us (i.e the NHS) with others.

When the old site first moved I did suggest that it be re-introduced but was told that it could alienate others. Now that really isn't what I would want to happen, it's obvious that everyone would be very welcome to contribute. However, there really doesn't seem anywhere that the growing number of Brits can post to share hospital, doctor, medication, NHS, etc etc experiences generally.

I have to put my hands up and say that I have always complained that there are too many sections on here and that I don't bother to read most of them anymore. A Brit/European one would have a very regular contributor in me though. Any thoughts from anyone else?

Sandra
advertisement

Comments

• i agree with u i am also from the uk and dont understand the different med names etc that they use in other countries. plus as we have an NHS service we have to wait forever and a day for appointments etc. is this true for people abroad who have insurance. it took 23 years of pain for me to get an x-ray. if my physio doesnt work i need an MRI scan. how long is the wait for that i wonder. dont get me wrong i think this site is great and would be in the nut house without it, really helps to talk to people who understand your pain etc.but as an NHS patient it would be great to talk about our treatment plans with someone who understands the NHS. have to beg my doc for pain relief as he says all the drugs are addictive so doesnt want to give them to me. i work in a pharmacy for ****sake so i know about drugs. just want to be pain free so i can do my job to help other people who are in pain. IS IT REALLY TOO MUCH
    TO ASK

scheuermann's type changes at thoraco-lumbar junction and spondylolisthesis at l5 s1

• yes doof i must agree with you on this topic at the end of the day we have many issues on here concerning the american system that i too dont bother to read anymore (no offence meant at all)but a thread were we can vent about our system would be much appreciated as i do find myself starting to drift away from sh as there are so many topics that just dont suit the european health system.
    so please mods lets keep us all together here as sh is a wonderful site and we dont need anymore of us drifting away to fellow sites.sh does contain some very valuable information and i have met some wonderful people here whom i treasure as good friends some down the road from where i live others across the water and then again further a field as in america so please please please mods think about this issue and let us know your thoughts on this topic.

LOVE PAULA
    OXO
  • Agree with this idea whole heartedly.

I wouldnt ever want people to feel alienated but it would be great to have a bit where people knew what pain meds you were talking about without having to read up and research them (I know I'm getting lazy in my ever growing depressed state, I just want to have some level of pain control instead of wasting so many days crying like a baby because I can't flipping walk or deal with the pain.) As someone said the way the NHS works is so different to the medical system in the USA, etc..

This site is great, I love the rpaid response to questions when its needed, and I have met some great people on here.

Love Danni xoxo
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    As I told Sandra personally, I have brought this request forward.
    I am not sure what the final decision will be, but as soon as I know, I will post here.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hiya ,
    I am also in the UK. I dont think the brits need a chat room. Most of the people who are members on here use the chat room, no matter what nationality they are. If people were to come in to the spine health chat room, you can talk to brits and americans and so on. Its just nice to share expeirences from people who are in the same situation as us. I think the chat rooms that we have are enough. I do think it would be very helpful if there was more advice for brits, like doctors, benefits and so on . This is just an idea ron .

Angie x

P.S i am addicted to this site , i love it !!!!! @) 8> :H
    Angie, I believe Sandra and others were looking for a separate category for folks from London, not the chat rooms
    Other sites have similar setups. I've been on one that is in German and has a few topics in English. Biggest problem I saw there was that NOT all topics were covered in both sections.
    There was only a sub set moved over to the other language.
    I can see difficulties in doing this here also. If there was a category for folks from England what topics should be there?
    We wouldnt want to duplicate all categories. Then another group comes to me and what an Italian section, another wants a Russian section and so forth.
    I wouldnt want to be in the position to handle all of those.
    I understand there are a number of differences between USA and England, other countries and even Canada.
    But what is the best way to handle this? Different countries have different medical systems, medical coverage is different, as was stated terms are different and much more.
    I just am not sure how to address all of this
  • Don't worry about it Ron, I don't want to make a big issue out of it.

It was just an idea to have a general 'UK' section where we could moan and groan about the great British National Health Service, compare notes about hospitals and doctors etc. I often see posts on here talking about specific doctors and have felt that there is really no point me sharing info as there is no-where to put it.

I don't want to isolate anyone or create any 'ism's'. As you know, there are a few die-hard Brits still knocking around on here from the previous sites and we still make guest appearances in chat from time to time, I'm glad you realised that I wasn't asking for a seperate chat room. We love chatting to you guys - hands across the water and all that good stuff >:D<
  • Hiya Ron,
    You want to know somthing ron for the first time in ages i am stuck for what to say . 8>

Angie x
    Now Angie, you got me tongue tied!
    I just hope I answered your question in a proper way
  • Hiya,
    Do you think we can gather information and post it on here ? Not sure, what do you think ? Are we allowed to do that Ron? I am up for it if others will help to, if we are allowed that is .

Angie x
  • This stuck for words lark must be catching , ah lol :P

Angie x
  • Hiya Sandra,

I do apologise i did get the wrong end of the stick. But hey If you would help and we are allowed we brits could gather info and post it. Like DSS, sick pay, Doctors and Surgeons , medication, i am sure if we gathered the information from the correct sources like GMC, Tax revenues, wages councils that kind of thing . Ron what do you say ? I havnt got a clue how this would work. Again sandra and anyone else i apologise . :S

Angie x
    Angie, first since I dont know, calling folks from England Brits is ok, I just dont want to insult anyone. (being naive)

I think for starters you guys could put together a thread, call it what you want and start to pour information into that. If it looks like it will get a lot of traffic and input and posts, we could look at a next step.
    Everyone has the ability to start their own thread. So that would be my initial suggestion
  • Hiya,
    I will ask people (brits) and see what they say, I dont mind if i have the support.

Angie x
  • i think this is a great idea!!
    go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE PAULA
advertisement