Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone, this is my first time here. I am going to have surgery on my neck in two weeks really nervous. If anyone has had this lately would appreciate some advise. I have had headaches since my teens and I am 44 now. Doctor is doing ACDF on C4-5 and C5-6 Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• I had the exact same operation on July 23,2008. Oh and welcome to spine health too. My advice to you would be to have plenty of soft foods on hand such as jello, pudding, soups, mashed potatoes,V8 juice, ensure, or even drinks like slim fast. Bendy straws are a good idea too. I would also advise you to maybe get a stool softener and start taking them when you get home from the hospital because all the pain meds mess with you system. Move things you use everyday atleast waist level so they are easy to reach so you can avoid bending down. Any other questions or concerns please dont hesitate to ask because we all know what you are going through!!! Also, please keep us posted as to how you are doing please. :))) >:D<
  • No matter what you will probably be nervous about your up coming surgery. That said I think that reading what others have been though is a big help. I had the same thing done on 7/28 and like you kept second guessing myself and the decision I had made. This board is a wonderful tool for finding out everything you want and need to know.

I only wish like you I had come here before my surgery and had a little more guidance on what to expect and have ready at home.

The best advice I think I could give you at this point (outside of needs etc) would be that it is going to take a lot of patience (I know that is spelled wrong but my mind is fuzzy and sorry). ASK every question you think of no matter if it seems silly and last but not least have someone or even this board to talk to about what is going on with you before and after.

Best wishes, PP
  • Hi, I wanted to know if the surgery helped and if you could tell me what to expect after? I am getting very nervous when it comes to the spinal cord and the neck I wonder if I am doing the right thing. I appreciate any advise you can give. Thanks
  • Welocome to Spine Health Kentuckylady!!

Hi there,
    My name is Chrissy and I will be having the same levels fused tomorrow!
    I like you have been going back and forthi in my head as to wether I made the right decision or not. This is a very risky move on my part because the surgery is being done for "docogenic Pain" I do not have any cord impingement at this time. I feel the the bulging and torn discs are very close to the cord from looking at the MRI films but they are medically clssified as moderate to severe.

I will be more than happy to go through this with you! We are not alone either. I have started a thread in the Surgery topic area. The name of the thread is "End of Aug and Sept. Surgeries" The purpose of the thread was so that people could post there surgery date and the type of surgery to be performed. I am hoping that people will see they are not alone and maybe start getting to know others who are going through the same thing! Come on over and check it out if you like.

I am also more than happy to chat by PM and get to know eachother. I will be going on tomorrow for my surgery, but I will not be leaving until about 11:30 am that I think will be around 1:30 your time. So until then I am available. As soon as I am home I will be posting again.

Please know that your not alone here. I am going through the same thing and have been thinking the same thoughts.

Hang in there and I am sending out some Good Vibes for you..:)

Chrissy
  • Other things that'll take you by surprise:

1. Burping --- OWWWWWWWWWWW
    2. Sneezing -- OWWWWWWWWWWW
    3. Coughing -- OWWWWWWWWWWW
    4. :))( -- OWWWWWWWWWWW
    5. (|: -- OWWWWWWWWWWW

LOLOL
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,740
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

________________________________________________________________________________
    You will find out that the ACDF surgery is one of the more successful spinal surgeries, the recovery period is shorter and with more results than most other surgeries.
    Good luck with your surgery. One of the most important things to do is to adhere to all the restrictions and limitations that you doctor tells you about.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement