Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Spurs?? Can barely move....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
As Im sitting here typing, Im not sure if I can even get up to lay down on the couch. :?? My back pain was bad this morning as it usually is with facets, but now Im having pain all the way up my spine into my neck, and across my shoulders as well. I was told that facet disease can cause bone spurs eventually, is this true? Im getting severe headaches lately as well, and am not sure what to do. Im almost contemplating going to the ER this afternoon, as I took 20mg oxycodone, and no relief. ~X( Any suggestions on what I should do? Im thinking of taking a migraine pill to see if that helps with the headache, but Im getting scared as to why Im feeling this severe of pain... :O
advertisement

Comments

• If your pain is bad enough that you are contemplating going to the ER, then go!

Let them help you get it back under control.

"C"
  • :) i just came out of a migraine headache which i know was caused by the severe back pain. ~X( i take a migraine pill for it but it doesn't always work. i know i have overdone it when i get the headache. i am out of it for about a day or so. 8} hope this helps! Jenny :)
  • I also have facet arthropathy and also get the pain all the way up to my neck and shoulders when it is bad. Do you take any muscle relaxers? I was really surprised because another member here told me that she was going to a rheumatologist for her arthritis and she would also have bad weeks when she could not even get out of bed. He told her that it is actually one big spasm when her pain gets out of control like that and gave her a script for muscle relaxers. I always have tons of muscle relaxers because I do not really like to take them. But just for the heck of it the next time that my back went out on me I started taking my mr's right before bed. It was miraculous relief. I no longer spend the entire week in bed because the first day that I start hunching over badly with severe pain I start taking my muscle relaxers. I don't know if this will help you or not but may be worth talking to doc about. I would not have believed it if I did not try it myself. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I was told there was no surgery available for facet arthropathy, which I dont believe to be true. I have had multiple injections and nerve ablations, and Im wondering what options have been available to you and how I would go about bringing them up to my dr?
  • Mom- I had this done with my PLIF. You might ask for a second opinion. Are you working with a NS/OS or a injecting pain manager?

Julie

Foraminotomy and facetectomy

Nerves in the lumbar spine are often compressed in the neural foramen, where they leave the spinal canal. These compressions may be due to arthritic degenerative changes within the facet joints, or may be the result of slippage or spondylolysthesis of one vertebral body segment upon the other. Often, foraminal stenosis is seen as part of the bigger picture of lumbar spinal stenosis.

For an isolated level of foraminal stenosis, conservative measures may be best. If surgery is desired, then the appropriate surgical intervention may depend upon what the larger disease process is. If one is dealing with a slip of one vertebral body upon another, then it may be necessary to perform a facetectomy, which involves removing the facet joint beneath which the exiting nerve root passes, to free up the nerve. Sometimes, only a "partial" or "medial" facetectomy is required. Sometimes one can get by with a "foraminotomy" which is an opening of the foramen (opening in the bone, beneath the facet joint, through which the nerve travels) with bone biting instruments (known as Kerrison rongeurs, or foraminotomy punches), but often such a limited operation may result in disappointing recurrences of the problem.

When a facetectomy is performed, the entire joint is removed, and the surgeon must decide whether or not to fuse the spine at that level.
  • I have had migraines for quite awile,and nothing ,I mean nothing,would give me relief. I had one a while ago , was on it's 3rd day and I took a flexiril and went to bed. Knocked it in the head . The last one, a couplw weeks ago,was going into the 2nd day,so I tried it again,a whole flexeril and to bed, kicked it in the head. I'm sold now, I have NEVER found anything that will do that. Imitrex,percocet,norco10...When I get a headache it's usually a 4 or 5 dayer, throwing up , the whole works...
    I think I have finally found the magic potion for me!
    I will be telling my Dr. about it later this month, see what he thinks. But I can't tell you enough what relief it provided for me.
    Sagehen
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.