Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My ER visit...feel very discouraged

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
So, I ended up having so much pain tonight, I ended up in the ER. I waited so long to get my pain under control, I had gotten the worst migraine I have ever had in my entire life! #o When I got up there, I waited an hour and a half to be seen. When I finally saw a Dr, she said "well the narcotics are only making your pain worse, and you should try something different" I about slapped her head off her shoulders! I can barely breathe at this point, because of my pain. She gives me a shot of morphine, and checks a half hour later to see if it worked,I said no, so she gave me another shot, and that didnt help. Im to the point Im paralyzed with pain by now. So then she gives me a shot of dilaudid (hydromorphone) and I said, ok, please listen to me! My back pain is calming down, but could I please get some Imitrex or something for this migraine before I lose it?? :W Instead of giving me the shot of Imitrex, she gives me the pill form. 2 hours later, I told her I was feeling a bit better, and I hauled ass outta there. Sorry this is so long, just severely frustrated. I have tried non narcotics before, but with no relief. I would rather be on pain pills and have some quality of life, since it works for me.Pain causes depression, and I would like to avoid that obstacle again. :S So, Im still in extreme pain now, but at least I am home. She also told me that no one would right me a RX for methadone or patches in this area because it takes special training and bla bla bla??? This isnt deliverance, we arent in the middle of nowhere, there should be somewhere I could get some relief! :jawdrop: Now she really made me feel like a drug seeker....
advertisement

Comments

• Call your PM, get an appointment soon and get this fixed! The ER will just be a frustration for you, ask your PM to help find the right meds. Good luck! I've been to too many ERs as well, and they just don't serve for our chronic conditions. =(
  • :) sorry about that trip to the ER. i only needed one bad experience to keep me away from there forever. ~X( i just got done with a migraine headache and am smashed of course. i don't even remember yesterday it was so bad! ~X( anyway, you should get a prescription for migraine medication. there are even some new ones out now. please rest today. I) i know what a migraine takes out of you and the trip to the ER must have really tired you out. Jenny :)
  • Im so sorry, it makes me sick to think about how bad you felt, i have been to ER 3 times for migraines but i was never treated bad,one time they had to clean puke up in waiting room for 2nd time, and of course the pregnant women with a one year old sleeping baby, this mother is screaming for help for me as she is helping get stuff out of my hair and eyes with her pink crocheted baby blanket,this wonderful mommy 24 years old (i find out later was admitted and delivered a healthy 5 pound boy, 6 weeks early. and was at emergency room because she burnt her foot when she stepped on curling iron)here i had even gotten puke on her dress because i sorta was passing out. my son-in-law was the dear person that had to drive me to ER, try to picture this honest story, im barefoot i have my hubbies spongebob boxer shorts on with a tank top that has stripes, and he halfway has to carry me in ER, back to pregnant lady that helped me. her name is nancy she lives in same small town i do my kids and her went to school together,im gonna PM you if thats okay, i might have some ideas that could help.
    I used to be the person who never got a headache let alone a migraine or tension, i was prolly 30 before i even had a inkling what a headache was. i remember how i would think about people that would complain about a headache or migraine and im very ashamed of myself, i really am a very compassionate person have been all my adult life i was a caregiver and still try hard to be one,but i never understood a headache, so people who have no idea what you are going through have no idea. maybe we should ask if we end up in ER, do you get migraines? if the answer is no , very nicely say, can i see another doctor that knows what im going through from personal experience, thankyou, ( not from what they read in medical books) bless you hope your head feels better,
  • embarrassed to admit, after all the bad experiences i read, I do know first hand how ER staff can treat patience,(mostly doc.)i worked in hospital for many years and in ER for just over a year, that was all over 10 years ago, i loved my job so i found i was very patient and kind and compassionate to what a patient was saying and feeling, but i loved my job, and when these nurses and doc's dont wanna be there and dont like what they are doing first of all should go find another job,because they are mean and rude,
  • First off, I'm really sorry that you had such a horrible experience.

But this brings up a concern that I have when it comes to on line forums like this.

If we all post about our bad ER experiences, what happens when we have a member who we all feel NEEDS to go to the ER? Do we have any credibility? One minute we are trash talking ER's and the next minute we are practically begging a member to have someone take them to the nearest ER.

How do we manage a situation like this?

I've had my share of ER experiences, good and bad. I just about chimed right in with one of my worst experiences, when something smacked me upside the head and said "think about what you're doing first".

How many of us were telling MominPain to "go to the ER"? Sure her experience wasn't grand, but "what if" it had turned out differently.

What about the person with Cauda Equina Syndrome? What if they decide that going to the ER is a waste of time?

So I'm bummed that we have all had bad ER experiences. I do know that there are also a lot of good ER experiences too.

"C"
  • you bring up such a good point!
  • Sorry you had such an awful experience in the ER. I worked in the ER in a small-town hospital over ten years ago. I only worked in there for a short time because they relocated me to a different department. Any-who... one of the things that really frustrated me with some of the staff that worked in there would have a bad attitude about chronic pain sufferers. They would call them 'frequent flyers' (not to their face, of course) and you could tell by their attitude that they didn't believe their pain. I personally never treated them that way (especially glad now that I am a chronic painer). Many doctors will tell their patients if they get in too much pain after office hours, to go to the ER and be treated there. If the pain patient mess up with workers that have a bad attitude toward them, it will deter them from seeking help. To this day, I have only visited the ER in pain one time since then because I knew what their attitude was. It is what it is, but that doesn't mean that I like it! ">image
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,721
    This is almost like the threads on experiences with Pain Management doctors.
    About the only negative thing I can say about my ER visits, is that I wish I didn't have the problem that made me go!
    I've been to ER's in Emergency situations and times over the weekends when I had no choice.
    First, I do not like to use the ER unless it is an emergency
    situation. I've seen ER's abused, where people come in with sniffles or a bad cold. All that takes up ER personnel resources. I've known several ER Doctors, PA's and Nurses and I have to tip my hat to all of them! Its not an easy environment to work in and not everyone has the stamina to work in those conditions.
    When I've gone to the ER, I always try to be as polite as possible (under the circumstances) and consider the workload that those folks are under. I have seen times when patients have been rude, impatient and act as if their problem is the only one in the world and they want undivided attention from everyone in the ER. ER folks are human also and when they get abused, they can react.
    I've also believe that when you do have to go the ER, be prepared:
    - To wait, depending on the patient load that could take time
    - Provide as much of your medical condition that you have. This would avoid guessing games and going over things that are already known (ie MRI results, Surgeries, other doctor visits, Medications,etc)
    My thanks to ER personnel. Its far from an easy job, not only physically but emotionally
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • There are no PM drs in my area. there are drs you are sent to to handles some degree of pain, but those drs around here usually prescribe PT and send you on your way. The closest pin management clinic is in Billings. a couple hours way. Maybe it would be beneficial to go there one more time for PM. I have been to Billings for referrals for my back, but with no success. My spianl tap showed high lvl amount of proteins, but they cannot pinpoint why ~X(
  • with you Ron AND VERY well said. The only time I have gone to the ER for my back pain/issues was on the weekend when I couldn't wait til monday. I drove 12.5 hrs in one day from Washington to Nevada. I came home on Thursday early evening and was sore. It was worse on Friday but thought I could "tough" it out. I couldn't and went about 2am Saturday am. I have gone when I was severly sick and throwing up every 45 min for 3 straight days and also was sitting on the toilet alot. I am glad I went cuz the doc said my heart rate and potassium were so low that I would have been admitted to the hospital if not almost dead if I would have waited another day. And the other time was when my daughter decided it was a good idea to put a live fly in my son's ear. LOL
    I am always polite and patient when it comes to going to the ER. If I was a nurse and the patient was rude to me do you think that I would hurry up and wait on them. Heck no!!! When I am polite and patient it seems that the nurses and doc's tend to me alot quicker and with more concern.
    ~Mominpain
    Now the doc may have told you that the narcotics make your pain worse because when you take narcotics your body is relying on those to help with the pain and not your body's natural way. I too am on narc's and have noticed that when I take myself off of them here and there that it takes a long time for my body to kick in it's own pain killer (so to speak). So I am sure it was more of an informative thing. As far as getting the pill form of the Imetrex, did you ask her to do the injection type or did you say I need imitrex and didn't let her know that the pill form takes too long for relief? Also if you do need to go to the ER again for this same situation, be as informative as you can. Let them know that the Morphine doesn't work well for you and that you have better relief from the Dilaudid. And let them know that the injection of Imitrex kicks in a lot quicker than the pill form for you. When I was taking Imitrex I didn't really notice a difference.
    Now as far as the patches and the methadone. Usually PM docs are who prescribes them. I have NEVER been to the ER or a family doc that has prescribed them to me. So she was probably referring to the fact that usually PM docs have more schooling as far as meds, interactions etc. Her being an ER doc wouldn't necessarily have that training. So that is probably what she is referring to. The strongest things my friend(who has cancer) or I have been give by the ER, are the percocet or dilaudid. She receiced the dilaudid not I, because of her cancer.
    To wrap all this up~~~
    First I want to say that I hope you dont get offended by what I wrote above or what I am about to write. That is not my intention I am just voicing my opinion on the subject. Now if you were acting/talking to the ER Doc like you are typing on here, YES you probably looked like a drug seeker. We are the paitents and not the ER Doc. I am sure she did whatever she could do give you relief. I have had the doc just give me one shot and say that is all I will do for you. So her giving you 2 of Morphine and then 1 of the Dilaudid, she was truely trying to help you. And like stated before I have never seen an ER doc write scripts for MEthadaone or the patch. That would be more from a PM doc. Methadone is a tricky med and if for some reason you had a reaction to it, or were on other meds and something horrible happened she could be held reliable. So I feel she is correct when she stated that those meds require special training. Because they do.
    So a word of advice. If you do need to go to the ER again......
    be sure to let them know
    ~the Morphine doesn't work for you
    ~Dilaudid does work
    ~Imitrex pill form takes 2 hours to work and the injection is almost instant relief.
    Be very imformative when foing to the ER. It would have been a shorter visit if these things were metioned. Everyone reacts differently to all meds. Like I said the Imitrex pill form usually kicked in withing 15 minutes like it is supposed to.
    Again I am not trying to upset you, or take digs or anything at you. I am trying to help and just being very staight forward and blunt about it. Sometimes it is hard for us to look at the big pic when we are in pain and just want to be relieved from it. But we just need to take a deep breath and realize that it is not the ER's fault that we hurt so much. Also we need to realize that us being in pain or people with a cold are going to have to wait a hell of a lot longer than someone with a bad heart, pregnancy difficulties, bleeding, broken limbs etc. So try to keep a possitive attitude when going to the ER. They are just trying to do their job and their job is to help others. So by the end of the visit to the ER that person that we may have been rude to, still made us feel better and usually with a smile. That is one job that I would love to do but couldn't do.
    I hope you are feeling better. Let us know how things are going for you
    MJ
  • :) we are here to share experiences and give support to one another. that doens't mean being cheery about situations that just aren't so for us. i would never want to keep anyone out of the ER but on the other hand i am always here to offer my experience for just what it is, experience!! that is explained numerous times on the site! because we had a failed surgery we should never mention that can happen? my pm might treat me badly, perhaps this should never be mentioned either. you might as well wipe out alot of the forum if all you want to hear is "Good News." Jenny :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,721
    Melissa, thank YOU! for your words. You summed things up pretty well.
    Jenny, my friend, I understand where you are coming from.

There has been, is now and will always be Good and Bad in just about everything!

Talking about the negative situations is good, because it may serve as a means so that another member may not experience the same bad .

And the same works on the other side of the coin. If people see how much good their is out in the medical field, and now that came about , then once more, perhaps another member can benefit from that.

Learning, this is what its all about. The Good and the Bad
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Of course I take no offense to what you say. >:D< I am upset more with the nurse I had than anything. I knew the ER dr cause I used to work with her. She was definitely just trying to help. I did ask for the imitrex shot, but the nurse brought in the 2 imitrex pills, so I took them as not wanting to be "one of those patients". My uncle is a Dr, and its like he says that I have to keep in the back of my mind when I visit the ER, the ER drs are only there to get you feeling comfortable enough to go home until you can see your own Dr, unless you are admitted of course. The thing that upset me about the whole experience is the Triage nurse that checked me in immediately asked if I had a pain contract through the ER and Im sitting there crying so bad, I cant see straight. I told her up front, no, but I do have one with my GP. She gave me a crude look and handed my paperwork to the nurse. She whispered something to the nurse and they both looked at me funny. Maybe I was just being paranoid, but that tends to happen alot in small towns. The thing that is most upsetting, is my friend will go to the ER, make up a pain she is having, about once a month, begs for drugs, then sells them to her co-workers and friends! Her and I have gone rounds! Im not an innocent person by any means, but its people like that who ruin it for us chronic pain sufferers. X( Im going to talk to my GP tomorrow hopefully, cause I think that unfortunately I may need to start using a cane every once in awhile. :''( Im just upset overall with the whole situation. ~X(
  • Negative and positive feedback is supportive. Im having a hard time with the pain right now, which doesnt help. I havent received an official diagnosis, and no one is willing to listen. I have see Drs all over the state who pretty much think its in my head. :?? I do know my facets are messed up, but I get crippling pain that makes my legs shake and Ive fallen a couple times. It scares me to death because I have an 8 month old little girl and Im afraid something will happen when my husband is at work. :SS I shake when Im in pain and it shoots up my spine and down my legs at times. I told my doc but they said its probably just sciatica and to stretch. What upsets me is the results of my spinal tap and MRI. It shows there is something wrong, but no one will "dig" deep enough to find out.
  • Mom ,
    Are you seeing an orthopedic spine surgeon or a neuro spine surgeon at all? If you are just going to your GP and hoping that he or she is going to be able to help you with your spine problems, you may find yourself in the same circles for some time to come. You really do need to find yourself either one of those that I mentioned or at a minimum a physiatrist, who does work with one of the above mentioned types of doctors.
    The ER is not going to prescribe you methadone or a patch, those types of meds can be deadly if not prescribed correctly, and if you are opiate naive, they have been known to kill. There are a lot of other meds that you can try in between the oxycodone that you are currently taking and methadone or a fentanyl patch, and they might offer you better pain relief than you are currently getting.
    My advice to you would be to find a neuro or ortho spinal surgeon and make an appointment with one of them or both for that matter. See what they tell you might be the cause of the problems that you are having. Ask them for a referral or recommendation of a Pain Management doctor, and get into see them. They can help you with managing your pain much better than it is being managed currently.
    I know that you may not live close to some of these doctors, but many of us have had to go out of our immediate vicinities to find a doctor to help us figure out what was causing our problems.
    Sandi
  • I read what you're going thru and I truly sympathetic. I have a long history of migraines. I had one for 12 days straight and it absolutely sucked.
    I couldn't take the new stuff, but I am armed with a oldie but a goodie- Midrin capsules. Those are life savers. You start off with 2, and then 1 every hour until the migraine gone (max is 8 per day. It's old but my stupid insurance won't pay for it. image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
    I hope you feel better soon and find a solution.
  • There are two sides to a coin, two sides to any arguement, two sides to patient care. What I personally don't like to see all the time is a thread that simply picks one side and bashes away.

Sometimes reason has to be brought into the thread or any arguement to keep things from becoming useless. I was all set to join in with the listing of bad ER experiences when I thought better of it and chose to make sure I voiced "the other side" of the patient care issue.

There are forums on the Internet that are one side of the coin only. Some are all lovey dovey hugs and kisses and some are all gloom and doom. Spine Health chooses to show both sides of patient care and because of that is a healthy and thriving forum.

I have learned that in order to survive chronic pain, I can't back myself into a corner. So I chose to post about looking through a different set of glasses when it comes to ER visits.

"C"
  • Some folks are treated well, some have bad experiences. I'm just speaking from my experiences. I've had both. I had gone to the ER for different problems. It seemed to me that if they found what was wrong, they were cordial and compassionate. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way, and they don't know what to do with you. I go to the same ER when I need to because they know me and recognize me. When I broke my wrist post fusion, they took me back right away so I could lay down and not wait in chairs. Also, I call whichever doctor I need to, and they refer me to the hospital. When I get there, the staff already have heads up and know I"m coming. I feel if I do it that way, there's less of a chance of being mistreated. And it's very helpful to have someone there with you to be your advocate.
    Summing it all, it's a personal experience. Nobody wants to go to see a doctor in their time of need and be mistreated and not get the help they need.
    They are limited also as to what they can do. Mainly just give you meds and control the pain. They may do an X ray, but certain things can't be seen. They won't do an MRI at the ER unless you have signs of cauda equina syndrome and you can't control your bladder or bowels, or have paralysis.
    They should get you comfortable and then refer you to your specialist for follow up care.
  • I am curious to know some things about your ER visit.

1. since you waited so long, how many critical patients were in the department that day? Did a cardiac arrest arrive, were there ICU patients to care for or was there simply a lot of patients that came all at once?

2. Have you been seeing a specialist for this problem? Usually a specialist can provide home medications to deal with severe episodes. Did you run out of these medications or simply never had them? Secondly, were you concerned that you were dying or were you aware that this was related to your chronic condition?

3. You apparently did not like the idea of avoiding narcotics. The doctor indeed gave you injectable Narcotics which is not the same as being on percocet every day. Running to the ER for injectable morphine is more like a heroine addiction and can be bad for your health. Then you asked the doctor for Imitrex, which is NOT a narcotic. If that is what works for you and that's what you wanted, did you tell the doctor or were you waiting for the doctor to read your mind?

4. you mention that you are still in pain now... so you pain is bad, but not so bad that you can't write a post about a bad ER visit?
  • I been there to many times too,I broke my rt. arm went to er,they twisted it,did x-rays,NEVER gave me anything for pain!
    Onec with my back went to er with my reports and MRI so they could compare to theres, heck they accused me of faking my mri?? How do you even do that?? So dont feel to bad,it the same for all of us.
  • I guess I'm lucky I've never been treated badly by ER the handful of times I went for various problems.
  • LovetrotravelLLovetrotravel Posts: 296
    edited 01/11/2013 - 8:41 AM
    Just FYI but this thread is from back in 2008...:)

Paramedic and Ozzie...I see that you are new so it's always a good idea to take a peek at the date and see when the last time the OP posted as I hate to see you waste any time asking questions or giving advice in specifics that aren't going to be read..

Paramedic, feel free to start your own thread to introduce yourself like Ozzie has done and share more about your own journey..
  • david33david33 Posts: 1
    edited 01/16/2013 - 2:35 AM
    I went to ER last Saturday and it was a spend of time. First they provided me Benadryl and Toradol and it did not even cut the advantage off. Then they provided me a taken of dolitod not sure of punctuation and they introduced it down from a 10 to a 9 so they provided me another taken of it and introduced it down to maybe an 8 and then sent me house. I have nothing but bad fortune at ER’s.

advertisement