Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spasms

rhw62rrhw62 Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm just curious to find out if anyone else with neck problems ever had to deal with muscle twitching in the arms and also having the whole back spasm up. These are new symptoms for me. I have never had these symptoms even prior to my first surgery. Muscle relaxing meds have not helped. This is almost more annoying then the pain.
advertisement

Comments

• Have you discussed this with your doc to see if maybe a different type of muscle relaxer might help?
  • I have tried 2 different relaxers and all they do is put me to sleep; they don't stop the twitching. I only have 2 weeks left before surgery and my pre-op visit is in a week so I will just deal with it.
  • i seen doc two weeks ago for this, no muscle relaxers work for me. i also get cramping in foot and in toes that happen around same time as spasms and twitching, so im pretty sure they go together,well doc gave me klonopin(prescribed for anxiety most of the time )but doc told me sum people get help with muscle spasm from it. well he was right, but it makes me very sleepy, so i actually cut the pill in fours and take a fourth a pill and a whole one at night. no more spasms, twitching,cramping- and i think they even have helped with headaches
  • I will get the twitching from the nerve being compressed. So if you are having surgery in 2 weeks, hopefully that should go away.

Some people also get nerve compression from muscle tension or spasm, which can also cause twitching.

That's why the first reaction that I've seen is to try different muscle relaxers generally.

Best of luck with your surgery.

"C"
  • hi
    i suffer spasms in my back, they are so painfull. when this happens i cant move side to side or even bend. these can last up to 30 minutes. the longest spasm lasted two days. i have bad cramps in both legs. the doctor prescribed quinine . just to let you know your not alone. hope to see you in chat room.

angie
  • Right after my accident I started with the leg jumping. I just didn't put 2 and 2 together. When my right arm started twitching I talked to my doc who referred me to the neurologist. I looked like I had Parkinsons at times.

Thr first surgery took away the twitching in the arm for the most part. I still get it when I'm over tired or have done too much with my arm (it doesn't take much). I came out of surgery with terrible spasms though and they didn't resolve until I had the second surgery. Apparently my cervical spine was misaligned- go figure.

I don't tolerate muscle relaxants well and am allergic to several but I can take Diazapam (Valium). A low dose keeps me at a good level and keeps the spasms down.

Good luck with your disc replacement. I'm looking forward to the day that it can be done on multiple levels! Too late for me but I know others will be happy LOL

Griff
  • I get the muscle twitching in my arms all of the time. Got it before surgery and still after. Haven't found a muscle relaxant yet that gets rid of it....have tried Skelaxin, Robaxin, Valium, Klonopin and Flexeril. IF you find one, let me know.
  • I hope that after surgery they will stop. Being a paramedic for awhile I do know that Valium will work but I'm the type that hates meds especially if it is long term. Myself, I'd rather be in pain then to take medication; don't want to get addicted to any either. Thanks for all the responses.
  • Soma helped me. It took away the pain and it has a sedative in it so it will make you sleepy...I'm on Amrix now. It is suppose to be extended release, cause I was tired of Soma only working two hours (I was only taking half a pill 3 to 4 times a day). Amrix worked but I'm thinking of changing since it cost so much.

If you can get a cervical heating pad , that helps too.
  • I'm with you on the meds. Unfortunately they're a necessary evil sometimes. I don't take the diazapam regularly, only when things get really bad.

The thing that has helped me the most is regular massage. I started going 2-3 times a week in the beginning, after the first ACDF, and, after my second surgery, I've found that a couple of times a month is enough to keep my muscles in shape. I still get the spasms but they're not the 24/7 ones that I had before. I credit the second surgeon for more properly aligning my cervical spine and, of course, the massage therapist.

I agree with the cervical heating too. It did wonders in the winter but it's too blasted hot now to use them!

Good luck to you and your poor, aching muscles!

Griff

• Soma is the only thing that works for me right now after sugery. Valium worked and I was on it before surgery. Flexeral was a joke it did not work at all. I would just sit a nd cry because everything was waking up and muscles where freaking out. Muscle spasm are diffrent then pain
  • the spasms I get are where the neck comes down into the back, at the top. It sometimes feels like a bunch of small earthquakes happening in there all at once. Not really much in the way of the arms or whole back though but it really catches my attention when it is happening. I have herniations at c4/5, 5/6 & 6/7.
  • Hi,
    I get terrible spasms in my thoracic spine, the longest of which lasted 5 hours and I can barely move at all when my back locks up like this. My doc prescribed diazepam which really helps, though I only take it when I really need to.
  • Hi Angela,

Have you done anything to remedy this problem. The twitching near the elbow is what is strange. In my case it feels like your heart beating and it's going to jump out from under the skin; near the left elbow. Since I have less then 2 weeks before I have my surgery, I am not going to ask the doctor for anything. I might bring it up in my pre-op visit. If it continues after the fact then I will look into it further.
  • muscle relaxers (methocarbomol/robaxin) but I take them only when I need to. They sometimes help and sometimes don't, especially on the really bad days. My main problem is the right shoulder. Lots of pain and tightness, catching sensations. I will also be going back into physical therapy next week as well starting massage therapy.
    Though you aren't looking forward to remedying (is that a word?) the problem this close to surgery I do think you should let them know. :)))
  • I sat there today and actually watched the muscle in my left bicep spasm quite rapidly. This was during one heck of a pain spell.
  • I get the spasms too.When I get them in my head/neck area it feels like... actually the first time this happened I was 13 yrs old and out at recess,lol.I was standing in a circle of friends,I had long hair,and I thought someone had yanked my hair..but incredibly hard.When I turned no one was there.

I can see my arms spasms,and the Dr sees them in my back.Sometimes my neck/back area just stays hard and tense..I think I'M doing it but I'm not sure if it's controlling me or the other way around because I really try so hard.

The muscle relaxer tizanidine 2mg 3x's a day is what I'm prescribed and it helps somewhat/sometimes.I think I have learned how to live with the spasms,but I'm not recommending that as a treatment.

I would hate to think of you having these spasms after your surgery and while in recovery.Good luck to you.
  • I have some muscles in constant spasm for which I take cyclobenzaprine since its supposed to help with sleep. I do recall after break the vertebrae and my arm starting to improve, muscle sort of twitching in my right arm. The nerve to my right arm took a blow when my vertebrae broke and they ended up doing some sort of electrical stim that made my arm move and it also helped reducing the twitching.
  • Funny, I was doing the same thing last night. Boy was it annoying.
  • HI RHW,

I experience twitching whenever I am at rest. Mostly in the legs, but also in the torso and arms. I also have painful spasms. The worst spasms are in my neck when at the computer for a long time. The spasms actually move into my face and tongue making it hard to speak. PT, massage and meds have helped with relaxing my muscle spasms and reducing my pain, however, my muscles feel weaker and seem to twitch more now. I just try to ignore the twitching. I know when I'm active the twitching is either less or maybe I'm just not noticing them. I see a neurologist on the 25th and am anxious to find out how extensive the nerve problems are. I'm hoping to hold off on surgery....... How long ago did you have your 1st surgery?Why do you need a 2nd? Good luck with it O:) .
  • oh YES, I have been dealing with spasms myself, thankfully the SOMA helps a bit. But I try alternating heat and ice. I would definately talk to your Dr. about it and see if you can't get something stronger. Best of luck to you.
  • i can relate very well. i always get spasms, i call them tremors because they are at a rapid pace sometimes, ususaly at night. these past few months though they happen anywhere. standing up , sitting in chair. they are strange, my husband jokes with me that i am trying to hit him, you know if my hand is laying next to him in bed. did someone say that they happen because of nerve being compressed? i hate when i get them in the middle of my spine, they seem to take my breathe away!! @) the pain in my hands are bad along with them. i just want to be normal again. i feel for all of us who suffer from these, this is NOT NORMAL!!
    ALWAYS LEO
  • i do get both, not so much now with taking klonopin when i feel those spasms starting, it helps,... but the weirdest thing happened the other day, a new thing for me anyway maybe it was some sorta twitch or spasm, maybe someone can help me with this one. i had the salt shaker in my right hand just had picked it up moving it in air about two feet and all of a sudden it just flew out of my hand as if i was throwing it, but i wasn't throwing it...
    anyone have this happen before, i would of not believed it if it wasn't me it happened too. it was like my arm had a mind of itself(maybe thats were my mind has wondered off to)hehe joking, but serious has this happened to any of you?
  • I think I would rather have spasms then the twitching. Of course I don't want either of them but if I had to choose it would be the spasms. This twitching is driving me bananas. It's like watching my heart beat but instead of beating in the chest it's in my shoulder and near my elbow. I truthfully hope they go away after surgery otherwise I will talk to the doc regarding them.
advertisement