Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Pains

araineaaraine Posts: 152
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:|

Hello all. I was curious to see if anyone out there has reverse curvature of the neck, due to whiplash? I have this, and my chiropractor says there is nothing anyone can do about this. I want to know how bad this can get, and what you do to help cope with the pain. I currently suffer from a T11 disk herniation, but the neck just recently seems to be taking control of me. It hurts so bad close up to my skull, and gives me migraines, and my visions is obscured. I try iced, heat, rubbing, and my meds but nothings helps. I am on Hydrocodone 10MG..... @)
advertisement

Comments

• Hi araine,

Yes, I suffered a great deal of kyphosis from my accident last year. My neck lost all of the normal lordosis (curvature) in the spine and I herniated 3 discs as well. My fist surgery, in January, actually made the kyphosis worse, causing the spine to curve forward and putting a tremdous amount of pressure on my spinal cord. I suffered from horrible spasms in my neck, shoulders and back and was in pain 24 hours a day.

I had the second sugery in May. The surgeon had to remove about 75% of 4 of my vertabrae to correct the problem and get my neck back to a more "natural" position. Unfortunately, back to straight is the best that could be done but it's a lot better than forward and took the pressure off my spinal cord. I no longer have the constant spasms, they just come and go now. The pain, however, remains and will probably be with me forever.

You may talk to your PM doc or your PC about long term care for the migraines. I suffer from them 24/7 since the accident and have been on Topomax. It helps keep the frequency and intensity down to a managable level.

I'm sorry about your troubles. I hope things improve for you. If can help please PM me.

Griff
  • Try getting a referal to a good neurologist that is schooled in treating whiplash cases. Also like griff recommends, talk to your PM doc. Many of them are very experienced in whiplash injuries.

Anytime a doc says "there's nothing that can be done" it sets off alarm bells in my head.

"C"
  • I talked to a NS, and he said he is worried about it. But this is the same NS that said he wasn't worried about my herniation that is putting pressure on my spinal cord either. I am out of opinions and doctor's, I have no money. :(
  • Money shouldn't be a problem. Any teaching or county hospital will take you on as a patient, at low or no cost, if you are low income. The same goes for medications- there are programs with each pharmaceutical company that offers meds at low or no cost. Ask for another diagnosis and ask to be referred to a physiologist, who can deal with the kyphosis in your cervical spine if there are no herniations there. There are things that can be done to help ease the pain such as gentle traction. Don't ever give up!

The herniation in the thoracic spine will be ignored as long as it does not progress. Thoracic surgery is brutal at best and they simply don't want to put any patient through it unless absolutely necessary.

Please let me know if you need anything. I'm free to talk, just PM me anytime.

Griff
advertisement