Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycodone...Dr confused me...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Pain Medications
So, Im on 20mg oxycodone 2x a day. I asked my Dr the other day if it would be ok to talk about going on something else or taking an extra dose if needed. She said after Ive taken the oxycodone(my pharmacy only carries 5mg tabs) to take another tab or 2 a couple hours after taking the 20mg?? Anyone ever done this? What should I do? I dont want to overmedicate :&
advertisement

Comments

• The 20 mg oxycodone/oxycontin is a long acting form of oxycodone, and it appears that she also gave another prescription for a short acting formulation which is 5 mg . What she was telling you is that if the long acting 20 mg pill is not keeping the pain levels within reason ( not pain free mind you- but allowing you to function as best you can , while keeping the pain levels from going through the roof), that you can take another 5 mg tablet/capsule a few hours after you have taken the 20 mg long acting one.
    It should say on the bottles the dosing schedule, how often you can take each dosage, and of course, you should follow the dosage directions from your doctor.
    Does that help?
    If you are still confused, please call your doctor and ask the nurse to explain the dosing for the short acting/IR 5mg tablets.
    Sandi
  • She prescribed me oxycodone 20mg, and the pharmacy doesnt carry 20 mg (they would have to special order it) so I have to take 4 5mg tablets of it. She said I could take another 5-10mg if needed a few hours later? I just want to make sure that isnt too much for me, I guess. I wonder what effects it would have if I took another 5 mg a couple hours later? I did try oxycontin, but I have no insurance and cannot afford a month's worth of it ($181.25) Im calling her tomorrow to talk about something else that lasts longer.. ~X(
  • Mom,
    Did you discuss with her, that the pharmacy didn't have the 20 mg tablets and that you are taking 4 -5 mg immediate release tablets at once, along with now the breakthrough meds of an additional 5 or 10 mg ? Is that what she told you to do, instead of having the 20 mg ER tablets? That can be really dangerous.
    The 20 mg tablets are not the same formulation as the immediate release tablets. The 20 mg tablets are meant to deliver a steady dose of oxycodone in your bloodstream for 12 hours at a time, rather than having your body constantly adjust to the ups and downs that come with the immediate /short acting meds.....
    Whatever you do, you need to discuss with your doctor any changes to your medications or how you are taking them. They know what they are doing, and meds are prescribed in a certain way for a reason.. plus adjusting meds on your own can result in your not being able to get pain meds at all, and getting blacklisted with pharmacies and other doctors.
    Sandi
  • It sounds to me like they prescribed you immediate release oxycodone. The pharmacy would only substitute 5mg tablets if it was immediate release (unless they made a mistake).

Personally, when I took the immediate release tablets, (they are pretty small right?) they didn't really work unless I took one every hour or two; this may be common, and may be the reason your dr. suggested taking them that way. You are unsure, so start on the safe side, take less, give it time to work, and do call your doctors office to get the official word on these matters!

The oxycontin you had for 181 a month definitely works longer, but is pricey when paying cash.. There are at least two other alternatives with generics that are MUCH cheaper. Good luck~
  • Edit: I can't find 20mg immediate release tablets anywhere; it seems they only come in, commonly, 15 and 30mg. You're right that the 20mg ones SHOULD be 12 hour Oxycontin name brand. The doctor must have prescribed 20mg oxycodone IR or something similar. Either way it doesnt sound right to me and I'd call the dr..
  • The others have it right call the pharmacy and the Dr.
    Something I can totally understand you do not want to go over board with.

Only they can describe it to you properly.

Let us know how you make out hun, I understand your frustration.

>:D< >:D<
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,714
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • There is one company that makes the 20 mg. IR Oxycodone. All of the others make the 5, 15, and the 30 mg. To clarify, there is a 20 mg oxy IR that is the exact same formulation as the 5 mg tablet. No acetaminophen in it at all. Not only is there a 20 mg IR tablet but there is also a 20 mg LA tablet. Different companies are now making 10 to 160 mg LA Oxy. (Generic OxyContin) You can get Immediate release in 5, 15, 20, 30 mg tablets now. It's just that the 20 mg is a rare one because I think only one company makes it. Don't ask me how I got here, I have no idea. Lucky, I guess.
  • I have done this before. In the AM I took 2 10mg tabs. If I felt some break through pain coming I would take 1/2 -1 more tab. That way I could keep the oxy levels up and the pain tolerable. While you are doing this journalize it. Get a poket calendar or just plain note paper. Write down the day, the time you took your first dose, the time you had to take an additional, how effective it was and the time you took your last 20mg dose. Keep this up for as long as you are taking your meds this way. Bring it with you on your visit that way your doc can see how much and how often you are taking your meds. She may decide to change you to either straight Oxy w/ no acetaminophen or the Oxycotin. The thing that I dont like about what the doc told you to do or the taking of 4 of the 5mg tabs at one time is all the acetaminophen that are in the tabs. Generally Oxycodone has 500mgs of acetaminophen in them. There is a certain amount of Acetaminophen that you can safely take during a 24 hr period. I believe my old PM doc said it was 4000mg. So if you are taking 4 5/500 that is 2000mg of the acet in that one shot. Like I said maybe your doc can prescribe the oxy that has no Acet in it that is not an ER. Just a thought I guess. Good luck and let us know what she says. MJ
  • Oxycodone doesn't have any acetaminiophen in it. Oxycodone is the narcotic agent. Only the generic percocet has the APAP in it. I believe we're talking about immediate release oxycodone or Roxycodone the brand name. It has no APAP only the narcotic. It is 4000 in a day if indeed you were to be taking a 5/325 or a 7.5/325 or even a 10/650. Those are all generic equals to Percocet.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,714
    This all can be very confusing. The whole subject regarding the Oxy... family has so many variations to it... And I am only talking about the formal official drugs, not the generic ones.
    A book could probably be written on this topic and I would venture to say it would contain errors. I have read Pharmacy reports, talked to Pharmacists, discussed this with Pain Management Doctors and have done research on the Web. I have found so much conflicting information and as I said, this does not even touch the generic brands
    There still are some basics:
    ER (Extended Relief)
    IR (Immediate Relief)
    APAP
    HCL
    the list goes on

What even makes it more difficult to digest is that take the given medication, the formula and you will find it marketed under many different names.
    I think this is one medication that any patient who takes it should discuss it all with their doctor, have more discussions with their Pharmacist and IF provided the detailed sheets that the Pharmacy provides.
    The topic I created (below) is just a simple attempt that I made to try to make things easier to understand.

Some of tis may clear things up:
    Oxy Medications
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • They arent the immediate release tablets either. They are just plain old oxycodone (5mg) tablets with no tylenol. The pharmacy I get the rx filled at does not normally carry 20mg unless special ordered, so basically I had a buttload of 5mg tablets, since I take 20mg 2x a day. basically, 8 pills. Ive been on immediate release and those dont last long at all, thats why Im not on them. I am waiting to hear back from her today. I can barely walk and my legs are like jello. ~X(
  • There really isn't alot that's confusing about Oxycodone. Most people just don't take the time to read. And some others do their research but not thoroughly. For instance, Dilauro left out the 30 mg IR oxy which is a very common strength here in South Florida, where as the 20 mg strength is ratehr hard to find. Anyway, let me see if I can't straighten all of this out. Before I do, let's differentiate right now between Oxycodone and OxyContin. OxyContin is the BRAND name drug for Oxycodone Extended Release pills. This comes in 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 60, 80, and back again by popular demand, 160 mg strengths. These are all made by Purdue Pharma and contain NO APAP. They have recently added the 15, 30 and 60 mg tablets. Now that we've cleared that up, we move on. Another Brand name oxycodone drug is called Percocet. Percocet comes in strengths of 2.5, 5, 7.5, and 10 mg. All of them contain acetaminophen or APAP. All of these have a generic equivalent also, it's just called Oxycodone with APAP. Now as we move on, it's going to get a little sticky and there will be a quiz following this presentation so please pay attention. There are several companies now producing a Generic OxyContin or Extended Release Oxycodone. The key here is to remember that Oxycodone is the narcotic agent. Generic oxycodone also comes in an immediate release form too without acetaminophen. So lets see if we can't lay this out for you.

Oxycodone Extended Release Formula--
    remember this is generic OxyContin
    and it comes in strengths of 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 60, and 80 mgs. There is no Generic 160 mg pill. At least not yet.

Remember, none of these pills have anything but Oxycodone in them and they are all extended release formulas.

Oxycodone Immediate Release Formula-
    This is just plain old oxycodone in an immediate release (which is regular delivery) formula. There was a time when only 5 mg IR pills were made but now the strengths vary and they come in-
    5, 15, 20, and 30 mg. strengths.

To most of you, it can be a bit overwhelming, but its always good to know about these things. One day I went to my Neurosurgeon and he wrote me a script for Oxycodone 10/500. Well, I didn't look at the script until I reached the pharmacy to see what he had written and needless to say, I had to go back to his office to get another script because the 10 mg oxycodone/apap only comes in 10/325 or 10/650 forms.

I hope this has helped some of you, and if it hasn't, I'm going to leave a website for you that not only describes all of these narcotics, but it has pictures of most of them. The site is Pharmer.org but specifically---

www.pharmer.org/imprints/narcotics#oxy

Try it, you will see an amazing amount of pain meds that you may not have been aware of. It includes Hydrocodone, Morphine Sulfate, Hydromorphone, Oxymorphone, etc.

Sometime within the next year or so, there will be a brand new TAMPER RESISTANT Extended Release Oxycodone medication out on the market called Remoxy. It's a gelcap that keeps the 12 hour action at 12 hours. Pretty cool. Lots of money is going to flying around with this med's arrival to the general public.

And now, it's time for that quiz:

• Sandi,

I think you are confused. There is a formulation of IR oxycodone that I guess is even faster than what we all commonly call IR. Its called Oxyfast. Comes in capsules and liquid. Its different from the regular old 5 mgs of IR. I think Mominpain was originally prescribed a "regular" IR tablet of 20 mg. oxycodone, not oxycontin 20 mg. And yes, these tabs of 20 mg. of regular oxycodone are hard to find because that is a fairly high dose of oxycodone. I think that is why she has to take four 5 mg. tabs at a time and then the addition of the extra 20 mgs. Sounds like she just needs the oxycontin and the regular oxycodone for break through pain. It could get awfully confusing taking that many pills in such a short time..

Gary
  • Millsajo,

I think Mominpain said she was just taking the oxycodone 5 mg tabs with no tylenol.

Gary
  • Herrball,

Thanks for the info and link. There seems to be much confusion regarding the oxycodone formulations. Talk to your doctor when ever you have questions. But, even a lot of them dont know all of this. just look at some of their script mistakes for things that dont exist. Talk to your pharmacist too. They are probably the best source.

My pet peave? titrate means to adjust meds UP. taper means to adjust meds DOWN. How can you taper a med UP? But, you will see it here many times!

Gary
advertisement