Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is there a once a year osteo med?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Osteoporosis and Fractures
I thought I saw on TV an ad for a osteoporosis med that is once a year? I don't know what the name is. If anyone knows, please let me know. I'd like to check into it and see if my ins covers it, before I see my dr. thxs..jade
advertisement

Comments

• Thxs Paul- It was Reclast. I take Fosamax plus D but I keep forgetting to take it weekly. I have no idea why I forget.

I read that it is a 15 minute IV infusion and it is only once a year. That would be great for me. Now I gotta check if my Medicare D plan allows it in its formulary. And if not, how much it is. It sounds too good to be true.

I may even be able to talk my mom into a once a year treatment. She just stopped taking all osteoporosis meds. #o I don't know why as my aunt (her sister) broke a shoulder just fixing her bed.. I have osteoporosis on both sides of the family so I figured I'd get it and I did. Now I have to work on my sisters to get tested.... :T :< jade
  • Jade, I am 38 and have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis for 2 yrs. I started out with just taking calcium tablet. Then the next scan showed it worsening, so they put me on Fosamax. Took that and now I am on Evista daily and Boniva monthly. I go back n two years and if no better my doc says I get the Iv fusion yearly. I had a gma and great aunt with Osteo, my aunt passed away after she broke her hip. And since that's where mine is the worse, I am wanting therapy to work now and will do anything to get better. I hope it works for you and if so let me know.
  • redhott- I have only taken Fosamax and Fosamax plus D. I have not used Evista or Boniva. I was looking forward to trying a once a year med as that would be great as that is 1 less med to remember. I need a new DEXA scan so I guess I'll see what the T scores are. :< jade
  • cbavierccbavier Posts: 4
    edited 09/05/2012 - 7:24 AM
    I had the treatment "Reclast" last November. The first of three treatments. I also have had a lot of kidney problems caused by excess Calcium and so my back problems are caused by my having Osteoporosis. So Reclast was the best option for me my Neurosurgeon and Dr's thought. I'll try to get to the new members post later today and introduce myself. One other thing. I don't have a number from the Bone Density scan so I can't pass that along to you. However the Reclast took about two to three hours to complete so it is not a 15 minuet treatment.
  • cbavierccbavier Posts: 4
    edited 09/05/2012 - 7:25 AM
    I had the treatment "Reclast" last November. The first of three treatments. I also have had a lot of kidney problems caused by excess Calcium and so my back problems are caused by my having Osteoporosis. So Reclast was the best option for me my Neurosurgeon and Dr's thought. I'll try to get to the new members post later today and introduce myself. One other thing. I don't have a number from the Bone Density scan so I can't pass that along to you. However the Reclast took about two to three hours to complete so it is not a 15 minuet treatment. This was the first of three treatments which are given one year and one day apart.
advertisement