Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

23 yr old female and 2nd back surgery in 9 months

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone, my name is brittany and im a 23 yr old female going on my 2nd mircodisectomy in 9 months and 2 days exactly. Well at 21 i was diagnosed with 5 herniated/bulging disc in lumbar spine and degenerate disc disease as well in lower back. L4-L5 and L5-S1 are the 2 serious disc in my back that i justtt had surgery on Jan 2 2008 and they both have the disc disease. Well the weird thing is, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS HAPPENED!!!!
Well im literally a mess, i have been in the doctors office since i was 18 and got diagnosed with endometrirosis, then diabetes [type2], then TMJ, then ovarian cysts, then the herniations throughout spine, degenerate disc disease, and some mild osthroarthritis in lower back
well i've had 3 surgeries to get rid of endo, and this causes so much pain, and can cause lower back pain. My gyno told me theres no way the endo can be causing this extreme of pain, so ordered MRI's and found oout about my back. I did PT and pain management with epideral steriod injections that did nothing but make my bloood sugar go REALLY HIGH and had to be put on diabetes meds.
Well the first surgery i did on spine, i thought went well until 1 month after recovery i started to notice the pains again and my surgeon said it was normal but i knew something was wroong again. Well the pain just started to get mooreee and moore intense and i needed new MRI's.........
well i find out the 2 disc he did surgery on were still herniated, and also my neck started to really boother me along with my arms...turns out i have bulgiing disc at C5-6. i have yet to get to mid back yet and kinda scared tooo!!!
Well the surgeon treated me horrible after my surgery like i should be perfect even witth the neew MRIS showing that it didnt woork. All i did was cry in his office bc of all the pain im in and he basically told me i was nuts!! I wentt and got second opinion and now im doing surgery Sept 4 2008 on the same disc. Even though i justt went through this surgery a couple of moonths ago, im so scared and stressed.......I JUST WANT TO BE NORMAL AGAIN!!! i know i wont ever feel the same but i just want to have a life again. I've been disabled this past year and filing for SSDI bc of my future.
Well thanks for listening to half of my story. I look forward to speaking with some people who have been experinciing these problems so they could possibly answer some ?'s of mine that i would like to knoow that doctors cant explain. Thanks again, Brittany
advertisement

Comments

• Thank you for the reply. yea i've gone through almost all of the spine surgeons in my city. the first guy just stared at my booobs during the consultation, never went back. Then this guy that was horribly rude after surgery and after reading my medical records it basically proved to me that he didnt listen to anything i had to say and it really pissed me off, now i have another surgeon, not the best bed side manners but hes up front and honest and supposively a great surgeon, so i hope this surgery works and i dont have to be disabled my whole life!!!! but then again im so scared on the inside that i might be wasting time on back surgery and could be a candiate for failed back syndrom. who knows, im gonna keep trucking tho, lol..........
  • I am soooo sorry to hear of what you are dealing with at such a young age. Lots of surgeons are pompous **s and think that you should be cured after they did surgery on you. Please check the next surgeon out as thourouly as possible. Are you certain that MicroD is the right way to go? Did you know that once they remove part of one disc that it usually puts more pressure on the discs above and makes it more likely that they will herniate? Did you get more than one opinion this time? I had a microD back in Dec 07 and although it did help with my leg pain, I still have lots of pain coming from my facet joints. I understand how badly that you want some relief but please put lots of thought in to having another surgery and make sure that there is no other option. Once surgery is done it leaves behind scar tissue that can cause a whole new set of problems. If there is any way to get a couple of more opinions, I would highly suggest that you do so. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • i wish i could find another option that would help with the pain and take it all away but things arent always as easy as it seems. I have tried several things like PT and pain management, and swimming but unfortunatly the doctors have disabled me and going through lovely government insurance {they dont pay for anything but a doc} so money and choosing doctors have been a big problem. the attitude didnt start witth the old surgeon until i lost my GREAT private health insurance and got stuck with county help. Its really sad to say that i do see the difference in health care and the way im treated bc i dont have many options until i can get medicad throough SSDI. the pain meds dont really help and the doctors wont prescribe me anything bc there either afraid to bc my age or look at me as if im seeking drugs. I finally found a Primary doctor that i really liked and 2 weeks later he just "retired" as there office staff put it. SO now im back on the hunt for a primary that willl actually help. I wish i could go see a pain management doctor but its so expensive and they call me a "high risk" patient bc i just had surgery and so many problems??? Whatever that means.......
    I did not know that a MircoD could cause other herniations at different levels, but 5 out of 7 in lumbar are already herniated.

What are annullus tears???????
  • Welcome to spine-health,here is a link on annular tears..http://www.chirogeek.com/000_Anular_Tear_1.htm
  • Are tares in the annulus surrounding the disc which let the gel like substance inside protrude out and press against nerves. I have heard somebody say that it is possible to get medicaid before your SSD is actually approved. I will see what I can find out for you.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! make some new friends and find the comfort you might need! good luck as you progress! Jenny :)
  • blondie- welcome to the site. I have endometriosis as well and had surgery (6) for that as well as for my back. My lumbar surgery was considered failed back surgery syndrome as well and so far I have not returned for additional surgeries. I also have cervical issues and my NS recommended a foraminotomy (sp) but he could not not guarantee it would decrease pain.

I finally had to go to a PM dr that does help me manage my pain. And while my pain is not gone, it does help me make it through the day. Man, that one doc needs to be told that my eyes are on my head, not my chest, unbelievable.

You may already be in surgery and I hope it is a success. You have alot of the same issues I have. PM me if you have anything you want to compare notes on... :) jade
  • Well i had my surgery........this time it hurt so much after recovery. It makes me wonder if the first surgeon did anything. My incision is like 2 inches bigger than the first surgery and he only did disc l5-s1 and the first surgeon did 2 disc L4-L5 and L5-S1. After surgery i was in so much pain and couldnt get out of bed for the first week by myself. I'm still in pain in my legs and lower back, its only been 3 wks since surgery and im still not getting around like i did before. I went for a car ride the other day to get out of house and my spine was tingling by the incision and then my legs started shaking...this has never happened before, my legs sometimes feels like jello and i've had to start using the cane. This hasnt been a fun recovery!!!! Last surgery i was walking around the block by myself by 2 wks, this surgery i havent even attempted it yet!!! Plus another thing that sucks is my insurance is gone after Oct. 1st, so no PT after surgery again.......
    Well im going to go lay down some more. Just thought i'd give an update!!!
  • Well i had my surgery........this time it hurt so much after recovery. It makes me wonder if the first surgeon did anything. My incision is like 2 inches bigger than the first surgery and he only did disc l5-s1 and the first surgeon did 2 disc L4-L5 and L5-S1. After surgery i was in so much pain and couldnt get out of bed for the first week by myself. I'm still in pain in my legs and lower back, its only been 3 wks since surgery and im still not getting around like i did before. I went for a car ride the other day to get out of house and my spine was tingling by the incision and then my legs started shaking...this has never happened before, my legs sometimes feels like jello and i've had to start using the cane. This hasnt been a fun recovery!!!! Last surgery i was walking around the block by myself by 2 wks, this surgery i havent even attempted it yet!!! Plus another thing that sucks is my insurance is gone after Oct. 1st, so no PT after surgery again.......
    Well im going to go lay down some more. Just thought i'd give an update!!!
  • blondie- Did the surgeon tell you it was just L5-S1 and not L4-L5? Or was it unknown pre-op? Did the dr say the L4-L5 was OK? I just am wondering about that disc as you said you had surgery there last time. Perhaps get in to see the dr to check out the legs shaking or call his office..take care..jade
  • Hi Blondie, yep recovering from spine surgery can be long and painful, that is for sure. What exactly did you have done? I thought you were talking about having a micro-d, but sounds like maybe it was more? Make sure you rest and follow your doctors instructions. Usually no BLT and limited sitting as it is very painful on us Spiney patients. Keep us updated, and you might want to post in the surgery forum, cause there are lots of folks in recovery from lumbar surgeries there that could help you out. Take care, Sue
advertisement