Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4 - S1 ANT/POST. WITH BMP COMPLICATION

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My husband had ant/post l4-s1 fusion with bmp on 4/11/08. He was doing great walking up to 1- 1 1/2 miles a day at 2 weeks post op. About 2 months the pain started to get worse the meds are not helping not even to take the edge off. He just got authorization from w/c to get a ct. His Dr. has been trying to get this authorization for almost 7 weeks. . Has anyone else ever had this happen after the surgery? Things were going so good.
advertisement

Comments

• hi puffy welcome!!
    so nice that your asking questions for hubby!!

of course we are no experts here and just normal patients.
    so are advice is strictly personal and not medical related.

i can say i had my up and down days for awhile. some ppl recover faster then others etc.
    but of course i did not fuse. so do not take that to heart.
    that may not be his problem there are a host of other things with this surgery.
    he may just be having a down time.
    this surgery is a day by day thing. one month ur feeling great then the next well not so great.
    possible he is overdoing with physical therapy (if going) etc. to many (possible issues)

has he even had xrays in the drs office to make sure everything is in place and mabye possible fusion is starting??
    what kinda of pain is he having??
    nerve pain, lower back pain etc.

sorry for all the questions.

of course being through wc it is a pain in some states to have to wait so long for an approval of something.
    i had no issues with wc when i hurt my neck at work and needed surgery they were on top of things etc.

we are here to support you and him through his journey.
    if you need any help naviagating around the fourms please do not hesitate to ask one of us through message or asking 1 of the moderators.
    moderator is listed under their name!!!

take care
    terri
  • Hi Puffy, I am sorry your hubby is having so much trouble. If you go through the posts here you will see that this is not uncommon for the ups and downs to occur.
    In most cases, they end up staying up.

It would help if you could tell us where the pain is that your hubby is having. It could be that the BMP mixture can cause temporary softening of the bone which can be very painful, it could be that the hardware may have shifted, - so many things can occur but the best thing is to have the CT done ASAP.

I cant believe that w/c made you wait 7 weeks for approval. I am in Aussie and the legal limit is 3 weeks they have to give a yes or no. DO you have a governing body with w/c- not the company but a government agency that you can appeal to?

Have a read through the posts and you will see you are not alone. Remember too that we are not Drs or medical people (though you will find a few nurses here) and generally we are talking about our own experiences

Oh and let us know how things go with the CT and following drs visit.

Blessings Sara
  • Thank you for getting back to me. It is so nice to hear other people with questions. Everytime he goes to the Dr.'s he has xrays. The xrays show everything in alignment(?)his Dr. has wanted a Ct to make sure that the fusion isn't happening to quick or that there is a cyst forming. He just started a new pain med. It is helping him alittle and I mean a little. He is getting about 4 hrs sleep a night. The pain is in his lower back. Just to get out of bed it is a process. He is just plain miserable. We got married in Sept. of 07. No vacations/honeymoon yet. I just wish there was more I could do for him.
    Did PT for 4 weeks that is all the insurance would allow. Then the PT called his Dr. and recommended that they don't proceed till he gets the CT.
  • Hello everybody! I am new to this site, but am really interested to talk to some other people who have had problems with BMP/cysts. I am a 30 year old physical therapist who has had 2 lumbar fusions now. L4-S1 was fused Sept. 06. I was doing well, went back to work after a few months (and a lot of pain) and seemed to be doing well. My leg pain was completely relieved and I was starting to get my life back. But, about 6 months into post-op I started having terrible leg pain again. I had a CT immediately (the benefit of working with a surgeon)and it identified a cyst on the L5 nerve root. At the time, it looked fluid filled so we decided to keep an eye on it and see if my symptoms progressed. My leg pain became unbearable so we did another CT and it appeared as if the cyst was solidfying. I had my ortho surgeon and a neuro surgeon try to aspirate it while I was awake--I don't recommend this for the simple reason that it hurt like hell because they couldn't burst it; it was solid at that point. Thus, I had a 2nd fusion L4-S1 Oct. of 2007 to remove the bony cyst caused by the BMP. They also had to remove the hardware at that time in order to get to the cyst. I now have permanent nerve damage from waiting so long to get the "extra" BMP growth removed. I have been off work since Oct 07 and am looking at filing for social security disability. I pray that this isn't the case with your husband, but that CT scan needs to happen soon!! Best of luck...
  • Your story scares me.

I called my NS today regarding excessive leg/hip pain in tears. The nurse promised me that she would call me tomorrow after she speaks with him. I hope I am just being a baby and not having a serious problem.

How can one side feel so good and the other side feel so bad? :''(
  • He received the CT yesterday. He will get the results Mon/Tues.His surgeon mentioned that he has seen 2 other cases like this. One was a cyst and the other it was just the BMP working to quickly. If it is working to quickly then he said he will put him on steroids to try to slow it down. I mean I feel so bad for him b/c I can't do anything to help him. He doesn't sleep, the pool doesn't even relieve the pressure anymore. On your case with the permanent nerve damage have you tried accupuncture? I have heard that it works sometimes. Also they have a back "boot camp" at his hospital. I don't know where you live but that might help. Thank you again for your response. Hope you feel better.
  • Please lets know what the CT results are. I am very currious.

Give your husband my best wishes,

Julie
  • I am a little over 1 yr post op L4-S1 fusion 2 rods and 6 screws surgery was done through my back. No more pain shooting through buttock and down leg, strength has returned to leg. But,I am still having significant pain issues (can not tolerate sitting over 2 hrs at a time, R foot still goes numb,and now have significant pain in back (that I did not have pre-surgery). My NS is suggesting removing hardware. He stated it would involve the lifting of all the muscles again and "A bit" of recup time. Has anyone had this and does this releave the pain and numbness issues? This was my 3rd surgery, prior was S1-L5 disc, and L5-L4 lamin.
  • Ok, totally random question but we know that spinal surgery has lots of "risks" but it does seem like the docs just keep on going once they start and I wonder if they actually make us worse?

I hope the CT results are good and that you get the appropaite action.

I also had loads of pain even considered going to A&E it was that bad but then calmed myself down...that was 3 months ago. I have just had my CT to learn a bone cage has moved into my spinal canal and maybe causing my significant pain. Surgery rebooked for few weeks.

So the moral of the story is, listen to your body. If I had made a fuss 3 months ago, it would have been picked up sooner.
    take care
  • Hey....I had a L4-S1 fusion a couple years ago also. I continued to have back discomfort, but not as bad as before surgery. A year later, they did remove the rods and screws because of a totally separate issue, by my back pain totally went away afterwards. It will probably take a couple of weeks for you to get feeling up to speed, but its nothing like the fusion was, trust me!! I was having extreme back pain when there were large changes in the barometric pressure and when it was raining and as soon as both stopped, my back was fine. AFter having the hardware out, I don't feel any of that kind of pain. Hope that helps!
  • I have had several people mention that to me, and I'm a bit leery of needles,but its probably worth a try........thx
  • Well we finally got the results of the CT scan. It shows "bone cysts" The Dr. has called in a prescription of steroids to help slow down the fusion a little. He said that he could see fusion and all the screws and rods look in place. He is hoping that this will take away some of the pain/discomfort.
    Has anyone ever heard of this?
  • In researching the FDA website on approvals for BMP, it mentions a warning the FDA required to be included for the physician about cysts. "cysts...or radiographic evidence of peri-implant transient bone resorption"..."it's believed that overpacking...within a confined space and/or hyperconcentrating the rhbmp-2 solution were responsible".

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfPMA/PMA.cfm?ID=10085
  • Well hubby finished the packet of steroids 2 weeks ago. No changes. Has been getting sharp shooting pains in back. Went to Dr. today. Dr. is changing pain meds and putting him on a different type of steroids. Had xrays while he was there there is fusion , that part looks great the Dr. said. The other thing the Dr. mentioned is his body could be rejecting/having a reaction to the hardware.If that is the case then he will remove the hardware. When he had him do test in the office (mobility) he said he was almost as bad as the tin man. He wants him to start PT again but slowly. So has anyone ever had to the hardware removed. The Dr. said he has fusion so that shouldn't be a problem.
  • Has anyone ever had or heard of the body rejecting the artificial spacers? W/C finally autorized the new pain meds and steroids. I hope this works because it bothers me to see him in pain.
  • Has anyone ever had or heard of the body rejecting the artificial spacers? W/C finally autorized the new pain meds and steroids. I hope this works because it bothers me to see him in pain.
  • My spacers (sorry, one of the 2) were puished into my spinal canal. Not sure why. I had BMP in it.
    I had it removed 2 weeks ago, they told me it was empty.

I made an initial Good recovery but this slid. Tell your hubbie to be careful and lsiten to his body. I really think I over did it on my first operation. It may not have made too much difference to the overall outcome but looking back, 3 opersations later, I really pushed myself into the point of being Foolish. Bit Gung Ho!
  • You;ve just convinced me to move forward with my second surgery. I had a TLIF with BMP about a year ago. For the past four months, I've been experiencing great pain, as if I never had surgery.

I had MRI and CatScan done. YOu can see the excess growth from the bmp material. It's been suggested to have a lamectomy and to remove the hardware.

Original surgeon and 2nd opinion both agree. However, they only give the success as 65-35... not very promising.

Can it regrow yet again...? You betcha...

advertisement