Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks post-op... starting PT tomorrow....

inafixiinafix Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am out of the TLSO brace and into the corset brace finally! Can drive IF I have to, my NS was not thrilled to allow even that. I start PT tomorrow.... what should I expect? She said it would last about an hour.

I am up and around more than ever. I can be on the go for about 3 hours before I tire or get uncomfortable. I am walking between 1-1 1/2 miles a day. My NS is pleased with that. I plan to up that as the weather cools down some. I am only needing pain meds about once a day. He gave me the OK to use use ibuprofen but only 400mg at a time. I have NOT done so even though he ok'd it. I do know from back when I had planter fasciitis that IB in doses 200-400 treat pain and doses 600-800 treat pain and inflammation per my PCP..... I'm still choosing to NOT use the IB just to be on the safe side. I am able to do more around the house helping with most things to a degree and still getting lots of help from my family with lifting and picking things up off the floor.

So all in all I am very pleased! I am glad I had the surgery as of today. The pain in my left leg is pretty much GONE! I have muscle loss issues with it and hope the PT helps with that.

So keep a positive attitude. I know it is difficult to at times but you set the attitude yourself, I was geared up to have a successful surgery and I am doing great... my plan is to just get better and better. I wish great outcomes for all.

Kel

For the next few days we will be watching "Hanna"
advertisement

Comments

• sounds like your on track and doing AWESOME =D>

yes PT with some ppl is a hour. mine were only half hour sessions for my neck.
    i did not have to go for my back surgery.
    so just depends on the place your going to.

keep up the GOOD work do not over do it!!!!
    you'll probably be sore after the first few sessions till your body adjusts!!

take care
    terri >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Ditto Kelly. I am happy for you >:D<

Let us know how the PT goes- OK?

Good luck,

Julie
  • So great to hear you are progressing well. Every positive story I read on this site gives me hope and lifts my spirits. Continue the good work and I hope PT goes well. My NS does not routinely order PT, but I'm gonna be back in the pool as soon as the YMCA finishes the replastering. I can't wait to get out of my TLSO! :)
  • I am 4 weeks post op-but I started pt just 1 week post op! Nothing major-just ankle rolls,leg lifts (with help)..... .
  • Kelly, You did not say what type of PT. For me the first visit was just an evaluation to see what I could and could not do. She was very gentle. We opted for aqua therapy 2x a week and land therapy 1x a week I prefer the water as there is less stress. The thing I remember most after the first few sessions is that I was sooooo tired so plan for a nap. I also get a few sore muscles when I use ones that haven't been used in a while so I keep the heating pad handy. Other than that I love PT, it makes me feel better. Over the long weekend I was not able to go for 6 days and I could tell the difference. I told my husband that even after PT is done I have to stay in some sort of water excercise it is that good. Good luck to you, it sounds like you are doing good so far and I am sure you will do great in PT.
  • Kel,

Good news but be careful.

Your PT should be gentle with you - aqua therapy level, gentle gentle. Core basic exercises, not to many and few times a day. If you hurt say so. Perhaps keep a diary to note what flares you up??

I hope your PT is good, some push you hard and kinda slow your recovery - hence my suggestion tune into your body. I knew instictively which exercises were the killers - I had to do this baby crab thing - boy did it hurt, so I stopped doing it. Nudge the pain they tell me, don't push through it. be good. xx
  • Hey guys. It was basically an evaluation to see where my weaknesses are and range of motion etc. It took about an hour. I had the muscle stimulator for 15 minutes and ice at the end. There was no pool but lots of equipment. She said I was doing great but that there is the deficit in the left leg as I suspected and she said she could help me with that. She said to keep using the ice because I still have some swelling at the incision site. She also told me to use coca butter and to massage the incision line with it a couple of times a day. I will be going 3 times a week. I am to keep walking daily. She said I need to start carefully bending but absolutely no twisting or lifting. I was a little nervous about that but it didn't hurt. She also did some tests with me on my stomach which again did not hurt at all at the time. I was kind of sore and achy last night and I noticed after walking today that I am tight and at about a 4-5 on my pain scale. I expected it to make me sore and look forward to getting stronger and stronger. I am headed in the right direction and hope you are all doing well.

Kel
advertisement