Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why won't it stop!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
After L5-S1 fusion i figured my pain would be better than pre-op, wrong. 7 months post op, after aggressive and succecfull physical therapy, I decided to try to swing a golf club a few time (20 to be excact). That was 5 days ago and i am still in excruciating pain. I am in my mid thirties and great physical shape (other than my back of course). Does this sound familiar? Is there hope that the pain will eventually subside (localized pain feels the same if not worst than pre-op, the little bit of nerve pain is gone =D> ).
advertisement

Comments

• Just a few quetions. Have you fused yet? Are you allowed to BLT? Why would you even try to swing a golf club if you are still in pain like it says in your bio? I'm 5 months post 2 level fusion S1-L4 and I wouldn't dream about picking up a golf club till I'm fused and only then I'd be extremely careful. I know being so young it's hard to hold ourselves back. I cry just about every day because I can barely do any thing but I have to be patient. I don't want to have to have surgery again because I wasn't smart about my actions. Good luck to you and take care of your self.
  • Sorry to sound so winey, i just expected to be further along by now (per the surgeons prognosis). Surgeon says I am totally fused, should be in no pain and should only limit my activities per my bodies reactions (thats why i had to try th golf swing). I know all about the crying (didn't until this whole fiasco). I have extremely strong core muscles, the pain must be comming from something else (accoring to the surgeon anyway). By the way, what is BLT (other than the sandwich of course)? I beleive that if I never listed to the surgeon in the first place I would have been better off. I still can't do most normal activities, but i cry a lot less these days (acceptence or something). Hope you get better soon.
  • Bending, lifting,twisting.... :)))

Do you feel like it is a muscle spasm? New movement/repitition that your body is not used to? Sounds right. Can you stretch the swing movements?

Congrats on being fully fused. Could your hardware be impinging in the golf swing?

Take Care,

Julie
  • Sorry if I was a little hard on you. I'm having a very bad day. The rain from Gustav is heading my way and the pain is bad. First off, you are not whiney, just frustrated. You want to feel better and your doctor has told you your fully fused so you're wondering why the heck you can't be active without pain. If you are unsure about your Dr.,maybe get another opinion? It couldn't hurt. I myself am thinking about seeing another Dr. I am having a lot of pain and he can't figure out why. Plus my pain is not being adequately addressed. I too am in my mid thiries and loved to ride my bike which I have not been able to do. I decided to be team mom for my sons football team and I thought it would be easy on me but just doing that is giving me pain. It sucks when I can't even sit in the bleachers for 100 minutes without being miserable and then having to stay in bed the rest of the day because my back and legs are screaming at me. Sorry again for going off on you. Keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Carrie
  • :''( I'm currently in the middle of a migraine and shouldn't even be on here! I can barely see much less read, so excuse the typo's! "Stillhurtin"? I'm wondering if there could be scar tissue surrounding a nerve? This can cause extreme pain issues! I've had the fusuin also but mine was a fiasco so the results don't count, and then I had to have reconstructive surgery to fix it. I was left in severe pain for the rest of my life and have the addition of scar tissue. On the subject of beeing laid up after any form of activity, that's me! And I'm talking about if I load the dishwasher, I have to take a day or 2 of rest afterwards until the pain subsides. I literally can't move the next day! You probably need to have some more tests done, such as a Myelogram to see what is going on in there. And remember, not all back surgery is gaurenteed. I hope this isn't the case, and I hope you discover the problem soon. Good luck!
  • I had 4 surgeries in my lower back and still after 2 years I had pain day and night, probably sound familiar too! I would like to have new friend and share good and bad experiences after surgeries, read about how you guys are dealing with on a daily basis and maybe learn from you! thank you and God Bless you! Ricky
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.