Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior C4-C7 fusion with wiring post-op questions

ReddawnRReddawn Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi,

I had this 2 level fusion done last Monday after my titanium discs from 2 years ago herniated.

I guess the posterior fusion and wiring of the spinous process is supposed to stabilize the neck, relieve the chronic pain and prevent future problems.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has had this done with the wiring and how it felt post op?

I've noticed really odd feelings at times and am unsure if it's normal. It seems like I can feel the wiring sliding against the bones when I bend my neck forward or backward even a tiny bit. Almost a feeling like the wire is rubbing against things and sliding back and forth. Is this normal and is it only felt right after surgery or will this feeling always be there?

Also, since it's only been a week, my movement is still very limited and I find that little things like trying to put my arm through a shirt sleeve can result in what feels like a tearing type of pain from the point between the neck and shoulder to the spine. Almost like a muscle pulling or something.

I'd just really like to know if these feelings are normal as each time I feel them, I cringe worrying something might be wrong or I may have somehow damaged something even tho I am being very cautious.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's had this about their experiences with it initially and if it really helped their condition long term.
advertisement

Comments

• I have had a revision surgery done posterior fused C4-C7 but no wiring.....I do know it takes a long long time to recup from this surgery. Mine is 18 months and I am having left shoulder/arm problems now. My revision was done for a non fusion.....I had a corpectomy done the first time and second time so I have been told there are no disc to herniate or rupture....not sure if I am fused yet, do not see my surgeon until Oct. I do have 2 plates, 2 rods and 12 screws.

Sharon
  • I have had a posterior laminectomy done, my fusion was done from the front so I do not have any hardware in the back. With the posterior surgery they have to cut through a lot of muscle to get to the vertabra to do the work. I know that I was very stiff for about 6 weeks, things did not move well putting on shirts or tying my shoes. My arms did not like going above my head at all. It takes a while for the muscles to heal and we are all different when it comes to healing. Perhaps you could call the surgeon and ask if this is normal or not, my surgeon has a nurse that answers most of my questions over the phone. Good luck and hang in there it does get better.

mark
  • My disc replacements and fusions with cadaver were done from the front two years ago with titanium discs and bolts but it never fused right so he did a posterior fusion with my own bone and the wiring to stabilize the bones.

I can definitely relate to the stiffness Maroseone, that's the most noticeable difference from my first op.

Amazing how difficult it can be to move upper arms and above sideways or up and when I do, I feel the muscles pulling instantly, sometimes very sharply. Other then that, the pain from this one isn't as bad as the total disc replacement. I was pleasantly surprised by how little pain I had from the hip bone graft as I'd heard that was one of the worst parts. Really not bad at all tho.

Keep feeling better >:D<
  • I have had 2 surgeries fusing C5-T1, I was wondering if you could tell me what symptoms you had when you had to have C3-C5 fused. Please email me at: snuggles61268@yahoo.com with your answer before friday if possible, I have a doc. appt. for some symptoms that are getting bad. Thanks!!!
advertisement